Help setting up Technic on a server

Hi all,

I'm very sorry to request information that has likely been explained elsewhere, but I'm having difficulty finding all the info.

Essentially, I want to set up a server for myself and my girlfriend. My server knowledge is... dismal. I've run one before, but with no mods.

Can anyone tell me just how I would go about installing the mods I want to install?

Essentially, I want Tecnic pack (minus some mods) for SMP, not Tekkit because it cuts out several mods I would like to use, as well as having some mods I don't want.

The mods I want to use are: BuildCraft, IndustrialCraft, Additional Pipes, Additional Objects for Buildcraft, RedPower, Railcraft, Equivalent Exchange, Forestry, Better Dungeons, TreeCapitator, Mo' Creatures, Ender Chest, Hangable Maps, Zepplin, Convienent Inventory + Inventory Tweaks, Balkon's Weapon mod, MAtmos, Optifine, Wireless Redstone, Millenaire and, finally, Smart Moving.

Essentially, it's tecnic pack ssp with smart moving and a few mods removed.

Is that possible to do, all together? I imagine there's a few there that can't be used, due them being ssp only and me not realizing; however, for example Mo' Creatures, it's not in Tekkit but there is an SMP version of Mo' Creatures created, so why can't it have that anyway?

Can someone concisely and explicitly tell me if the mods I want to include are possible, and how I would go about doing it?

Sorry to be a pain everyone, for asking so much; I'm just at a los of what to do!

Thanks for the long read!

Sam

MOD EDIT: Don't do that.

You can disable mods from techniclauncher\technicssp\config\ModLoader.cfg.

Smart Moving works out of the box if you drop PlayerAPI in modpack.jar.

That's great to know; however, I want to run this on a server. Are there any conflicts there?

All of the mods that are in technic that you want but are not in tekkit... are not in tekkit because there are no multiplayer versions of those mods. Tekkit is as close as they can get to smp technic. Stuff like mo creatures may be coming in future versions of tekkit since smp version just came out. Just gotta wait for modders to release smp versions of their mods, then for a bukkit port to be made, then for enough of them to be ready on a stable version of minecraft for technic to take the time to make a modpack out of it. It is happening, you just have to be patient. In the meantime we have tekkit 2.0.

All of the mods that are in technic that you want but are not in tekkit... are not in tekkit because there are no multiplayer versions of those mods. Tekkit is as close as they can get to smp technic. Stuff like mo creatures may be coming in future versions of tekkit since smp version just came out. Just gotta wait for modders to release smp versions of their mods, then for a bukkit port to be made, then for enough of them to be ready on a stable version of minecraft for technic to take the time to make a modpack out of it. It is happening, you just have to be patient. In the meantime we have tekkit 2.0.

Ah, I see. So, stuff like Wireless Redstone and Better dungeons don't work? I wonder why better dungeons hasn't been made server compatible...

In any case, is it not possible to put Smart Moving on with Tekkit? It does have a server version, and I've seen videos where people have done it, but I wonder if it would conflict with Tekkit.

Any ideas?

Theyre not all on the list. I am 95% sure that wireless redstone is in the rec build of tekkit if you check in NEI.

Oh god, I have no idea what "rec" build is... Neither what NEI is (I assume to be "Not Enough Items"?), but looking under "Chickenbones" (what the hell does that even mean?!) "Not Enough Items" is included in there, as well as Wireless Redstone.

Are there any other mods that exist in Tekkit that aren't in the list for some reason? Does anyone have at all any idea about Smart Moving for SMP with Tekkit, considering that there is Bukkit support for it.

I... just don't know how to include it, as in how to add the mod to Tekkit as well...

Oh god, I have no idea what "rec" build is... Neither what NEI is (I assume to be "Not Enough Items"?), but looking under "Chickenbones" (what the hell does that even mean?!) "Not Enough Items" is included in there, as well as Wireless Redstone.

Are there any other mods that exist in Tekkit that aren't in the list for some reason? Does anyone have at all any idea about Smart Moving for SMP with Tekkit, considering that there is Bukkit support for it.

I... just don't know how to include it, as in how to add the mod to Tekkit as well...

By look in NEI, I meant in-game. The list of items that comes up when you open your inventory. Type wireless into the box under your inventory panel and see what pops up. Chickenbones is the guy who writes the mods NEI as well as wireless redstone chickenbones edition, and some other stuff.

According to ragnar, you can download playerapi, i am assuming a requirement of smartmoving, and put the files into the modpack.jar, and then drop smartmoving into the mods folder I suppose. I do not know if there is a client version required as well since I have no idea what smartmoving is =p

By look in NEI, I meant in-game. The list of items that comes up when you open your inventory. Type wireless into the box under your inventory panel and see what pops up. Chickenbones is the guy who writes the mods NEI as well as wireless redstone chickenbones edition, and some other stuff.

According to ragnar, you can download playerapi, i am assuming a requirement of smartmoving, and put the files into the modpack.jar, and then drop smartmoving into the mods folder I suppose. I do not know if there is a client version required as well since I have no idea what smartmoving is =p

Wait... are you saying with this mod I can just summon any item I want at any time? If so, why would I want that? No point to survival then...

Or is it just a database to check available items?

So, simply drop the files for playerapi, and thus Smart Moving, into the .jar file for tekkit, and pray for a victory? Yeah, I imagine it will need the same for the client side as well; Smart Moving changes the movement animations for a variety of actions such as sprinting, flying and swimming. It also adds essentially parkour abilities, such as being able to climb a wall (as long as there are 1 block gaps every other one) as well as grab hold of ledges, swing from things and generally be awesome at moving.

It really adds to the versatility of a game, and I feel it would work very well with Tekkit, as long as it would work :P

Wait... are you saying with this mod I can just summon any item I want at any time? If so, why would I want that? No point to survival then...

Or is it just a database to check available items? [/quote\

Both. The ability to cheat in items is disabled by default, and even if you enable it you can turn it on and off in-game. You would want that because it is handy for OPs or people who can practice self restraint and only use it to test things or to restore items that were lost due to a bug or something.

On top of that, you can use it as an item database to see what you can make AND you can press R while hovering over it to see how to make it, or U to see what it is used in. Why wouldn't you want it?

I glanced at the bukkit version of the mod so I could be more informed. No you do not put the smartmoving mod into the jar. Files that are normally put into the minecraft.jar go into the modpack.jar when using tekkit. playerapi is one of those mods. Most other mods go into the mods folder, for example IC2 or wireless redstone. Smartmoving would generally be one of those mods, however if you read the readme, apparently smartmoving counts as a plugin, not a mod. So you just drop the smartmoving into the plugins folder. Also, perhaps as a result of this, there does not appear to be a client-side version, and anyone who connects to your modified server will have it without any additional modding on their end.

Again, this is probably what ragnar was talking about:

I glanced at the bukkit version of the mod so I could be more informed. No you do not put the smartmoving mod into the jar. Files that are normally put into the minecraft.jar go into the modpack.jar when using tekkit. playerapi is one of those mods. Most other mods go into the mods folder, for example IC2 or wireless redstone. Smartmoving would generally be one of those mods, however if you read the readme, apparently smartmoving counts as a plugin, not a mod. So you just drop the smartmoving into the plugins folder. Also, perhaps as a result of this, there does not appear to be a client-side version, and anyone who connects to your modified server will have it without any additional modding on their end.

Again, this is probably what ragnar was talking about:

"You need the correct installation packages on the server and all the clients!

If you don't know how to effectively install multiple mods into minecraft have a look at this first.

On your bukkit server:

Install the latest version of Player API bukkit at your bukkit server.

Install the Smart Moving installation package SmartMoving Server for Bukkit at your bukkit server."

I got that from the Smart Moving mod section on the minecraft forums here - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/361430-125smp-smart-moving/

It would seem to indicate that it needs it client side as well. In that case, I just need to drop PlayerAPI into modpack.jar, put Smart Moving into the plugins section, and then install modloader for my client and load up smartmoving, and it should work?

Sorry for my general, persistent ignorance everyone, you've all been a great help. I'm just very unsure of it all!