Netherrack spawning in the overworld?

I host a small tekkit server for myself and my friends. Up until recently, everything has gone pretty normally--however, just now, we've noticed lit netherrack spawning in the overworld. I'm reasonably sure this isn't someone messing with everyone-- the spawning seems pretty random and in areas where people don't normally tread, but is concentrated around the portals themselves.

We're all pretty freaked out. Any explanation, or is my server haunted?

I'd love for that to be true, but I don't think any of my friends are competent enough to pull this off. Plus, the way/location of the blocks seems to suggest something else--the netherrack is only one or two blocks in random places. I found some in a 2-tall tunnel my miner dug, already on fire. If someone's fucking with us, they're pretty damn thorough.

• 7 months later...

Actually, the same thing happened to me offline :/ I had no idea what was going on and still don't. The thing is, I only saw it one time, and it was in a cave I've never been in before. Two peices of netherrack were just sitting there, one already lit, by a small amount of lava. Yes, It freaked me out, and I was hooked on herobrine at the time, so if it wasn't scary enough alone, it happening period, then I thought herobrine did it. xD But probably nothing, so just don't worry about it :P