What mods can I spec into?

PJ1897

I'm fairly new to AOTBT so far but am really enjoying it so far! However as I'm new I'm at a bit of a loss as for what to do. Some of my friends on the server I play on have speced into Witchery mainly, I don't really want to copy what they're doing. So I was wondering, what other mods are there that I can have fun exploring and devoting my time to? I want to do Thermal Expansion as I know that mod, and have started Advanced Genetics a bit, but I'm still looking for massive, fun, interesting mods to spec into!

Thanks!

With minefactory reloaded?
Currently I am using it for an automated oreprocessing plant, I have an item grinding machine running on it (in combination with darwin mob), I have a meatprocessing plant (again in connection with darwinmobs), an automated wheatfarm and some smaller stuff, to get some things of my hand.

Basicly everything that be automated productionwise is the target of this mod. You should watch some videos by generikb (you could also watch my videos, but since they are german they might not be that helpful). He has done quite some interesting stuff with it and used MFR to hook up some different mods.

Witchery is (in my eyes at least) most interesting when you have a pvp aspect running on the server, while MFR is more for the production point of view. The nice thing about it, is its interoperability with other mods (Thermal expansion, tinkers and others).

Witchery certainly is fun, but I really do like MFR there is so much you can do with it, from massive setups to just collect almost ungodly amounts of things to trying to cram things into the smallest spaces possible and automating everything. 

If your so inclined you could really take it into another level and start having fun with some of the project red stuff and really automate your entire place from lights and machines to anything you cna think of. 

It depends on intensive you play.

Most ressources are rather easy to come by and the minions help there a great deal (letting them dig some mineshafts while you work on your stuff gives you ressourcen on the go.

It needs some preparations energywise, but that is upgradeable as well, so you can start small and grow on it.

The biggest timekiller will be the preparing of an adaequate project red storage system.

My first batch consisted of 64 reinforced copper chests (and I still run on that). These all need interface pipes and respective braodcaster and responder cards. These all need a big bunch of illumars, which was a pain to gather. The glowstone isn't the big problem, but getting all the dye (or saplings) can take ages.

I am a big fan of the technical mods like MFR, TE and PR.

Working with them and recombining the stuff is really great fun.
But I also love the creative mods like the carpenters blocks and the chisel. It boosts your ability to build extremely. That combined with stuff from bibliocraft and mr crayfish makes want to get all wild

If you wanna go exploring the unsung hero is biomes o plenty (like chim put it in one of his videos). There is so much to see and explore out there and when you give it the twist and visit the tropics realm or the promised land, be prepared for quite some sights. Or go to the mooon ... or even mars when heading for galacticraft.

Great sources for small but nice mods are open blocks and random things. They do not follow a big concept, but deliver tons of cool stuff.

For our current server project I dived deeper into food plus. While it is completely unnecessary, since I have my meatplant, its so much fun cooking that stuff in my mr crayfish kitchen and then selling the stuff in my shop in our alps village .... here is a picture by the way ;)

In this Tweet I have a picture of that shop:

BrowserXL Food, ironwares and slimy things :D

Building up with the tech stuff as Browser mentiond is alot of fun, and then with the other mods finishing off the areas is finally fun. I agree playing with carpenters blocks and chisel after you have stuff kind of laid out is great. 

I did the same thing with the copper chests, however now that I am months into the game I have alot of deep storage units for things. 

For the dyes that are a pain to gather I started using tree farms not only for power source but the sapplings can be run thru a unifier and they turn into dyes. Not all require the unifier but some do. If you get enough of the tech side going and having everything auto process for you then I might get into galacticraft and go to the moon or mars or build a space station....its all fun! 

This all sounds so cool! Thanks everyone! Can you tell me more about the mods to do with magic? My friends are interested in them and have told me about stuff like alters and magic circles, but I'm not too sure what they are and what you can do with them. Thanks.

In a lot of cases, the saplings don't even need to be converted. They can be used as-is.

There will, of course, be exceptions, but I think it works for most things in AotBT.

You are right on that I forget what it was that I kept running into but I eventually just have all the sapplings running thru a unifier and I no longer have any issues with anything. It all runs in the background to no worries for me. 

PJ the ones they are reffering to are all under the witchery mod. easy to find when you open NEI and type @witchery you will see all the associated blocks. The altar is a multi block structure made up of 6 alter blocks placed in a 3x2 rectangle. The circles are fairly well explained in the circle magic book that you can craft. Actually I would recomend crafting all the witchery books if you want to learn about it, they are all full of information. That and the witchery wiki page. https://sites.google.com/site/witcherymod/

Edited by pirahnah3

Concerning magic ... Witchery is the big mod of magic in this game. You have nature magic, dream magic, circle magic, conjuring and what not. Basicly everything around magic revolves around witchery.

You could count the Necromancy Mod and Minions Mod at least leaning towards magic, but witchery is the place to go. But beware, witchery can be very time consuming. Chimneyswift is probably the expert on that mod and he has over 100 b-team episodes, where the majority of those is revolving around witchery or getting stuff for witchery.