The HorizonCity Review - 11/24/14

hooptiecoupe

THe HorizonCity Review

November 24th, 2014

-------------------------

Sorry guys,

admins feel im adveristing by posting the reivews.

It was meant to be fun and entertaining.

and to help new (or old) server owners and modpack makers perhaps learn about a new mod or plugin they've never heard of.

but, the admins feel im advertiseing and have decided not to give permission.

so, i wont be able to post them here any longer.

You can always PM me and i can maybe recommend a good mod or server plugin to help meet your needs.

I always love helping modpack makers find new mods to meet the 'goal' of there mod pack.

just to clarify,

there is a diffrence between spamm advertiseing, and 'advertiseing' that brings something to the table.

the review is an advertisement or an endorsement .. this is true.

but its not an advertisement of MY website. Its an advertisement for the mod maker, the youtuber, the plugin devloper, the server owner (who im not affilated with) they have nothing to do with me.

the website link simply streamlined the reivew to clear up 'clutter' download links, youtube vids, known bugs,

orgainl forum post, or website, block, mob, items, other information about the mod.. thats all the link

was meant to provide.

Edited by hooptiecoupe

• Moderators

Server Spotlight:

Due to forum guidelines, I am not able

to give out server reviews, either good or bad.

That was not the complaint. You were / are advertising YOUR forum site and are trying to lure people to it.

" hey people! know about this server / mod / whatever? Come to my forum site to read about it!"

if you haven't noticed, this, right here where you are posting right now, is a forum aswell. People are allowed to post reviews on this forum. But fishing for traffic to your own site is you attempting to get children to play on your tree house.

And you never bothered to ask us, again, if you could do that.

• 2 weeks later...

oh?

im very sorry to have upset you.

who do i ask?

i have been posting them here for a few months now on a bi-weekly basis and your the first to say anything.

if it's not allowed, why did you not delete the thread? Am i breaking an advertisement law?

I wont lie, yes i do want to continue growing my fanbase and gaining subscribers who are interested in what we offer.

but, theres a HUUUUGE diffrence between this forum and mine.

1) ONLY WEBSITE STAFF CAN START Threads..(well.. in atleast 80% of the forum anyway, the other is for the community to discuss our custom server.)

2) we DONT speacilize in TECHNIC. Meaning.. why would anyone leave you to come to me?

Its def. not the intent to Steal, or tell people to STOP discussing things ehre.

thats a big reason i post this here and on other forums INSTEAD of on my own.

cause i want to have the discussions here. to talk to a larger audience. and to help keep the forums active here.

if people want to read my reivew, they need to come here. the links are not the reivews,

there just basic information on how to get the mod, map or other things.

It was certainly not my intent to offend you.

to be honest, when i edited out the server review,

i was a little upset because EVERY FORUM i go to.. as rules AGAINST talking about servers. either good or bad.

Why you would be concered about me Stealing 'customers' or taking people away from this forum is beyond my understanding.

that would be like an elephant, being afraid of an ant. It makes no sense.

what i offier, is NOT what you offer. its something totally diffrent. so i really dont see how people would leave here to come to me, or why you would be afraid of loseing a fanbase.

Edited by hooptiecoupe

That was not the complaint. You were / are advertising YOUR forum site and are trying to lure people to it.

" hey people! know about this server / mod / whatever? Come to my forum site to read about it!"

just one thing to note about what you said,

did you click on the links? seems to me you didnt.

cause the dont go to a reivew. they go to a forum that offers the download links and a youtube video about the mod or map.

the reivew is posted here. not there.

I started doing it in this way, so that reveiw would be simple. and uncluttered.

and so that i would not break rules on the various forums i vist.

mainly, the links back to my forum post provides basic info like: download links or youtube videos, or other basic information or about the map or mod. but, if you ACTAULLY clicked on them... you'd see they dont go to a reveiw.

that review.. is read right here. by your readers. not mine.

check out my website, you'll see i dont post this review anywhere on my site.

theres a reason for that.

Because for moments just like this.. when you say im triing to steal people, or shamelessy post links to get people to

leave here and come to my site....

nope. i want to start the discussion about these things here.

and i want to help server owners and custom pack makers be able notice these really good maps, mods and server tools that

they may not have otherwise found.

thats the sole reason for posting.

Im offended at your notion of me saying im doing this to steal members.

Edited by hooptiecoupe

Since you decided to go above Munaus's head and contact me regarding this issue, I should probably make the following clear: we made the policy, Munaus is enforcing it because we asked him to. The policy is that you cannot advertise something. That means no posting stuff that links to your website, your youtube, your adfly, your whatever. If you are posting these entirely for the purpose of generating discussion, then you should have no problem with removing the links which we're taking issue with. We do not look kindly on people using our forums to monetize our users. If you want to advertise on our site, that's what google adsense is for, and people have many options if they do not want to see your ads.

And just for anyone else who's reading this: the reason why we have this policy is that there are a lot of people in the Minecraft community who are making money off minecraft or trying to. We're one of them, but there are tons. There are hundreds or thousands of streamers or aspiring streamers, hundreds or thousands of websites. If we allowed anyone who wanted to to come onto these forums and post an ad to their content, there wouldn't be anything else here. If you want to post some content, you're welcome to do so. But content that just happens to link repeatedly to your monetized website is native advertising and we're not going to put up with it. If the advertising is accidental, remove the links and continue posting. If you're not willing to do that, then stop posting or I will make you.

Hey canvox,

I sent you an email on this, but i wanted to claify publicy on this matter too.

I didnt think i was going above his head, he said i need to gain permission. So, i asked the admins, (you) to have permission.

Also, as i mentioned in the email. Im not monetizeing of any youtube videos or links.

The link that goes to my website IF they decide to click on it, provided the download link FROM THE MOD MAKER (not me)

since i support the mod maker, i dont change his adfly, or mediafire or whatever it is. i jsut copy and paste from his

website, forum page, or whever else i found him at. I just take his information and streamline it better. Thats all.

The Youtube video is from a random youtuber i find while researching the mod (NOT ME or anything affilated with me.)

Though, it would be nice to break even with my website costs. I put these reviews together for the beneifit of mod makers , server owners and custom modpack makers.

In the hopes they may be able to find something they've never found before. Thats the only reason.

Im parterned up and have permission on 4 other forum sites already.

i wanted to bring them here to devlop conervsations here. on your forums and help generate interest in Mods that arent used much in

mod packs.

thats it.

yes, its nice to grow my own fanbase as well, but, we do something entirely diffrent on out site,my website is for helping to plan and host lets plays and live shows on various servers.

the reivews i post ONLY on other forums to have conversations there about.

I just wanted to publicly clairfy my position on the matter since im a big FAN of technic and always support and help out in any way i can.

i stay fairly regular here. sometimes helping server owners with issues.

thats all the review was meant to be.. fun, and enjoyable for people to learn new things in the MC community.

Edited by hooptiecoupe

We do not look kindly on people using our forums to monetize our users. If you want to advertise on our site, that's what google adsense is for, and people have many options if they do not want to see your ads.

to clarify this, i wasnt attempting to "monetize" users. You cheapen what this review is about by hinting at such a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

to clarify this, i wasnt attempting to "monetize" users. You cheapen what this review is about by hinting at such a thing.

But you were.  By linking to your site, where you could be selling silverware for all we care about what you're advertising, you were trying to attract attention to your site, where you make money off clicks, I would assume.

Also, every single post of yours, here and on your site (at least on the front page), has some grammar and/or spelling issues.  It kind of makes you look like an amateur.

Finally, after you were told not to link to your site in your reviews (which were never disallowed, just the link), you went and put one in your signature.  Did that strike you as a good idea when you did it?

• 1 month later...

lol, almost forgot al about this :)

saw your post,

actually no. i dont make money off of clicks on ads. I get paid rather they click or not. Project wonderful dosnt work the way traditonal banner ads work.

So no, im not 'monetizing' of players.

The site is simply an easy way to park the information so i can update it easier later if i need to. Thats all. :)

I have now partnerd up with 5 other MC based forum websites. Its much easier to update download and link information on my own reivew site than it is to go around

and update all the other places im partnered up at with new information.

Plus, the information on my page is often easier to locate than the orginal.

Example, 1 modder put about 25 videos 'spoilers' on his forum post.. and put the download link waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down below after all that.

me? i put 1 GOOD video reivew from a youtuber i research and find who did a GOOD reveiw, and the Download link is above that.

The download link comes directly from the modder, i contact each modder before offically posting the reivew so that i have there consent on the information.

then, i post that with reivew here, and other places to start conversations here. :)

im prown to gremmmer mistookes. Everyone is. Sometimes i fix them, sometimes i dawnt. owlwell. it happens.

as far as the signaure...? I see people putting there own websites in there signatures too. lots of other server owners, and website owners do that,

So suddenly its WRONG for me to do the same? Double Standard Dont you think?

No were in your rules did i read anywhere about not linking to your community in your signaure.?. Is tAHt a rule ore did i miss that?

Edited by hooptiecoupe

That post is a month and a half old.  No, there's no rule about posting a link in your signature, unless you're getting money off of the "community."  I was under the impression you were.

If you want to be viewed as a professional-looking review site/community/whatever, it would be worth your time to correct grammar and spelling mistakes every time you make them.  Intentionally making them, such as in the sentence where you say you are prone to them, doesn't look good, and never will.

the income im earning from the 1 banner ad form Prjectwnderful iis so minor that it dosnt even cover the costs of running the website.
It does help offset the cost yes. but, making money?

To earn money thru project wonderful, i'd have to be getting 10,000 to 20,000 views per day on my website.
and it'll proably be a few years before our community gets that big. For now, it simply helps to offset website costs.
but, im paying for a website and a server which are both free to use. so, im def not MAKING money of players. Im losing money for running it all.

I've noticed that quite a number of other server owners with websites are starting to use PW as well. so if were not allowed to post a link to our community if we have a banner ad on our site,

then you may need to adjust your rules to make that point very clear. Cause the rules do not say if we have banner ads we cant use that link.

It seems like a rule that should def. be adjusted to reflect certain changes in how servers owners raise money to cover costs of hosting a server and a website.

Im not posting these reivews to make money, It'll be a looong time before that happens. Im posting them cause i love to introduce players to new things in the MC world

things they hadnt heard of before, like MC webcomics, or toy sites for MC, or great youtube animators. .. Cool Japanese mods.  :) things like that.

im not trieing to take money from anyone, just trieing to direct people to good places to check out.

but, its a fun project and i love doing it. Its very exciting to me when i can introduce someone to a cool youtuber or mod maker or map maker who they'd never heard of :) thats why i do it

As far as the typos...
Welp, i thought it was funny :) i was hopeing you'd get a small giggle out of the sarcasim.

Edited by hooptiecoupe