Any tips for a server op noob?

hedinn0707

Hello!

First of all, I'm a noob. My son is hugely into minecraft, so I try my best to help and support him in various ways. I have succeeded in running a vanilla minecraft 1.8 server for a while now, but now I'm trying to run some modded servers, and it is proving to be quite the challenge.

Where should I start? What should I read?

I tried to run a crazy craft 2.2 server and received these warnings:

[WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod mods.battlegear2.coremod.BattlegearLoadingPlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft

[FINEST] [ForgeModLoader] Adding NotEnoughItems.jar to the list of known coremods, it will not be examined again

[WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod codechicken.nei.asm.NEICorePlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft

[WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod openmods.OpenModsCorePlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft

[sEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Unable to launch

along with many others. I don't even know what forgemodloader is, though my googling has shown me it is some kind of minecraft modding API. Do I need to install this?

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated :)

ps. is there some easy way for me to paste the logs in their entirety in here? Is that preferred?

Hello!

First of all, I'm a noob. My son is hugely into minecraft, so I try my best to help and support him in various ways. I have succeeded in running a vanilla minecraft 1.8 server for a while now, but now I'm trying to run some modded servers, and it is proving to be quite the challenge.

Where should I start? What should I read?

I tried to run a crazy craft 2.2 server and received these warnings:

[WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod mods.battlegear2.coremod.BattlegearLoadingPlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft

[FINEST] [ForgeModLoader] Adding NotEnoughItems.jar to the list of known coremods, it will not be examined again

[WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod codechicken.nei.asm.NEICorePlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft

[WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] The coremod openmods.OpenModsCorePlugin does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft

[sEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Unable to launch

along with many others. I don't even know what forgemodloader is, though my googling has shown me it is some kind of minecraft modding API. Do I need to install this?

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated :)

ps. is there some easy way for me to paste the logs in their entirety in here? Is that preferred?

The answer to your other question, besides using Pastebin for logs, is to decide WHAT you want to do with the server then move forward. I have a 1.7.10 modpack, we decided to move on from 1.6.4, and things have changed enough that its interesting and I hear 1.8 it is even more fun.

That being said if your going to run a vanilla server, no mods, forge, etc, then just turn it on and let it go. My daughter has one like that and her group of friends and her love it.  We are not a a large mod pack by no means, We, just recentlyk, finally broke 100 mods, and sometimes errors happen during our latest beta test.

Things like the above are going to happen from time to time and not being a DEV I can't speculate on why. Mine has about 20 lines like that where the change from 1.6.4 to 1.7 and beyond. For example;

[04:00:17] [main/WARN]: The following coremods do not have a @MCVersion annotation. They may cause problems if this is not the correct version of Minecraft for them.

So in short, learn, grow, ask questions, google, and we'll all help the best we can, some better than others. Plowman and Torezu are incredible with their knowledge and help and I've seen The_Doctors_Life post lots of good things as well.