How to make Tekkit lag less?

I've got a quad-core Phenom II at 3.2Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM, and a 1GB GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Oh and Java 7. Why does Tekkit take so long to start up? I can run vanilla with a 256x texture pack on all max settings and I get no lag at all, but I have to put Tekkit on Fast graphics and it's still always between 40 and 50 fps. I don't like playing on anything but Far because any less than that creates a weakness for pvp.

Is there a way to make it faster, or do I need an even faster computer? If the latter, which component should I upgrade for maximum gains? Thanks!

have you tried going into appdata then to the tekkit folder in the technic launcher and opening the options file, then at the fps put it as high as you can and want c: just dont exaggerate, or maybe you haven't allocated enough ram? (though by now everyone should know this) anyways it worked for me I was getting 15fps and then set it to 50 because I had the option at 0 which.. its pretty bad, but its great and hope i help alittle

have you tried going into appdata then to the tekkit folder in the technic launcher and opening the options file, then at the fps put it as high as you can and want c: just dont exaggerate, or maybe you haven't allocated enough ram? (though by now everyone should know this) anyways it worked for me I was getting 15fps and then set it to 50 because I had the option at 0 which.. its pretty bad, but its great and hope i help alittle

I'm fairly sure 0 means unlimited..

I've got a quad-core Phenom II at 3.2Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM, and a 1GB GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Oh and Java 7. Why does Tekkit take so long to start up? I can run vanilla with a 256x texture pack on all max settings and I get no lag at all, but I have to put Tekkit on Fast graphics and it's still always between 40 and 50 fps. I don't like playing on anything but Far because any less than that creates a weakness for pvp.

Is there a way to make it faster, or do I need an even faster computer? If the latter, which component should I upgrade for maximum gains? Thanks!

First of all, Minecraft isn't easily predictable as far as graphics quality is concerned. High-end machines can fail for reasons not typically resolved to any known correlation. Basically, a disclaimer for what follows.

You might not be allocating enough RAM. Tekkit is poorly optimized for CPU usage (especially Buildcraft and, to a lesser extent, IC2). Optifine sometimes behaves in unexpected ways when it is used. Matmos has to run lots of calculations on your surroundings for sound effects.

There's lots of things that could be at fault. The only known quantity is that Tekkit requires a much more advanced machine than vanilla Minecraft does.

EDIT: Additionally, if you ARE thinking that an upgrade to your computer will help, it'll either be your video card or CPU. Your RAM is fine (but again, you might not be allocating enough).

I'm fairly sure 0 means unlimited..

dude c: im not trying to be rude but I kinda know what im saying and having it at 0 is not good because you fps can go from 80s to 2 o 3 and that sucks.. if you set it to 30s or 40s its great because it wont drop from there and you can play smooth all day without worring about lagg

First of all, Minecraft isn't easily predictable as far as graphics quality is concerned. High-end machines can fail for reasons not typically resolved to any known correlation. Basically, a disclaimer for what follows.

You might not be allocating enough RAM. Tekkit is poorly optimized for CPU usage (especially Buildcraft and, to a lesser extent, IC2). Optifine sometimes behaves in unexpected ways when it is used. Matmos has to run lots of calculations on your surroundings for sound effects.

There's lots of things that could be at fault. The only known quantity is that Tekkit requires a much more advanced machine than vanilla Minecraft does.

EDIT: Additionally, if you ARE thinking that an upgrade to your computer will help, it'll either be your video card or CPU. Your RAM is fine (but again, you might not be allocating enough).

I got 8GB allocated to it using the Tekkit launcher, haha. I guess this is as good as it'll get. I also disabled MAtmos. Thanks everyone! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

the same things happen to me i have a 64 bit desktop and 12 gb of ram teh computer works fine but when i play tekit it lags like hell. i have tried going into options and changing the fps to 40 but it doesnt help. please give me an answer.