How do i add more ram to my tekkit 3.0.4 server Please Help

Every time i load the server it says Warning cant keep up did the time change or is the server overloaded i looked it up and it says every where you need to add more ram which dos'nt make sense as i have 10g so i added 4g to java but that did'nt do anything and i could'nt find any tuturials and the forums wont let me look it up as it is to common so can any ne PLEASE HELP ME

"Warning cant keep up did the time change or is the server overloaded" is about processing not storage. In short, it's not a RAM thing.

I also assume by, "i have 10g so i added 4g to java" you meant that you changed the batch file to allocate more RAM...

The Tekkit server comes with a batch file (called "Launch", I believe).

If you're hosting on a home machine or a machine you have direct access to, just create a *.txt file and put this in there:

java -Xmx4G -Xms2G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

Rename the file extension from *.txt to *.bat. (Note: This is for Windows systems).

xms is the initial allocated RAM, xmx is the max.

When adding RAM, however, garbage collection may (probably will) slightly lag the server when working with more RAM you allocated.

If you're running the server on a hosting site, you may be able to change RAM allocated within the command panel. Mac and Linux probably use different commands/methods to allocate RAM to the server.

Again:

"Warning cant keep up did the time change or is the server overloaded" is about processing not storage. In short, it's not a RAM thing.

To add:

ZeroZX4

if that error do u no harm go to ur bukkit.yml in ur bukkit folder and change this to false

settings:

allow-end: true

warn-on-overload: false

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/warning-cant-keep-up-did-the-system-time-change-or-is-the-server-overloaded.68996/

This is caused by the server being unable to process certain information quickly and is a common problem with some servers. It could be your processor speed, other processes taking priority from java, machines and tech on the server, plugins sucking juice, etc. I have yet to find a specific cause for the problem but it doesn't have much to do with RAM allocation (unless you're trying to gather a ton of people on a gig or something).

Just as an FYI, you have not provided sufficient information to allow us to help you. If we knew everything, we may be able to find the cause but even then it wouldn't be guaranteed.

In short, if you only get that when the server starts, you're probably fine. If you get it often during play, I believe it could create lag and other such issues but allocating 50 gigs of RAM is probably not going to fix it. If you're running <20 people or so, 4Gb is probably more than enough.

OK info:

i run the launch file it opens the window and starts up loading items,materials then it creates spawn then it displays the done message. The problem starts 40s after when it displays Warning can't keep up is the server overloaded or did the system time change then it will continue to display this message every now and then without any players on it and so i typed stop in the window to end it as i didn't want it to crash.

that is all the information i can give you apart from the fact I am not using Hamachi or Bukkit as I don't know how I am just running it with my external ip

OK info:

that is all the information i can give you apart from the fact I am not using Hamachi or Bukkit as I don't know how I am just running it with my external ip

You are using Bukkit...

Tekkit is built on the Bukkit platform.

You could probably provide sometime like - oh I don't know - system specs, list of plugins (if applicable), effects on the server when this happens, etc.

It just means your computer can't process the information fast enough. Hell, try lowering your RAM to allocate only 2Gb max and 1 Gb initial. Then test it. The reason it shows up every so often is probably because your server gets overloaded when java takes out the garbage with all the RAM you've attached to the server.

Also, if you're running the client on the same machine. Try only allocating, at most, 2Gb to it instead of every free bit of juice.

You could also trying setting the server at a higher priority so the server processes information before anything else. Hell, if anyone else can chime in, there might even be a way to assign the server a specific physical thread that isn't processing anything else (then again, I have no idea since I don't know your computer specs or the command to change process affinity for bukkit or if it's possible to assign it processor affinity).

If this is your computer ( http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp560mt/en/cs/cs_en.pdf ), I don't see how you can have 10Gb in it. Also, next time just dump the important parts of your dxdiag.txt (run dxdiag and save a text file) in code tags and it'd be easier to understand what you're running (or a link to the specs of the computer because some can be configured quite differently).

If that's your computer, I'm confused. If I'm not mistaken, intel atom processors are for mobile devices, netbooks, tablets, etc.

I also don't understand how you managed to run 10Gb in your computer (must be a weird configuration of sticks negating that your model shouldn't be able to support 10Gb of RAM).

Anyway, did you try what I recommended in my last post?

Also, based on the system specs I posted above, your bus speeds would slow down processing and your computer doesn't seem to be strong enough to run an OS like windows and a server (much less a MC client if you're trying to run them on the same system). If you're trying to run a dedicated server and not play on the same computer, would you be willing to try a lighter OS? If not, I don't think I can recommend anything else with the limited knowledge I have of your setup.

If you added extra RAM, Your computer may not support that extra RAM. You could also be using a 32bit version of Windows which would only allow 4GB of RAM to be used. Even if your PC diden't support the extra RAM it may still be working with a limited amount. Also: I believe Java errors if it can't allocate an amount of RAM anyway.

Lets do some tests

Click the Start button

4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.

• If "64-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
  • If "32-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Let us know which one it is.

In the same screen. There should be something that said what Processor and how much RAM you have. Give us that as well.

E8MIi.png

• 8 months later...

i also am having problems with my tekkit server lagging. it is a very unusual lag. it only happens in a single chunk, and it isnt always lagging. every few seconds my game goes from 30fps to 2fps. i know its not only me because my other friends also lag. i have already tried changing the amount of ram. please help