GPS locate failure

Man, so little information...

Anyway, figured out that I must need 3 GPS hosts, not that I can find this documented anywhere.

Then figured out that wireless modems must have a short range, not that I can find this documented anywhere.

Then I just can't make it work, I've got 4 GPS hosts in range of turtle, but the turtle gets its location way off.

Finding position...

35.071358 metres from 291,174,58

34.727512 metres from 288,175,52

9.949874 metres from 290,146,58

Position is 285,140,49

Finding position...

35.071358 metres from 291,174,58

1.4142135 metres from 296,141,52

34.727512 metres from 288,175,52

Position is 293,141,46

I've checked, double checked and triple checked the locations of the GPS hosts and as far as I know they are correct.

Actual location of turtle is 295,140,51 as reflected by the "1.4142135 metres from 296,141,52"

So either I fail totally at 3D co-ords, or... or...

Help?

BTW, when I've got this handled I will update the wiki to reflect what I've learned.

• 4 months later...

The answer to this is quite simple you ener he cords of he motem not the PC. Also elevate it 70 to 80 blocks high and it should work better and plac e each tower 50 blocks apart. placing the towers too close screws up the cords as supposidely the rednet interfere with each other hopefully this works

Also, I'm fairly sure this is actually documented on the Computer Craft Wiki. I was reading through it a few days ago and it said something along the lines of what you and Mivrsnd said, that you need three (four for height) computers acting as servers and you had to put three of them on the same y-value with the fourth higher up. Note that this information is from my memory and you should probably just check the wiki out yourself.

The answer to this is quite simple you ener he cords of he motem not the PC. Also elevate it 70 to 80 blocks high and it should work better and plac e each tower 50 blocks apart. placing the towers too close screws up the cords as supposidely the rednet interfere with each other hopefully this works

This is actually totally wrong, outside of the advice to place the pc blocks high up.

You can put them close together, just make sure they aren't all on the same plane or line. You need 4 hosts to get a reliable lock. It doesn't truly matter if you use the computer block coords or the modem block as long as you're consistent. Placing them high increases their range, which is useful.

Your problem seems to be that you are out of range of your fourth pc, add you're only getting 3 listings. You could also have a typo in one host.

Edit: right next to each other is bad though, you need a little space to make it work right, like 4 or 5 blocks