Cable mixing?

Courier7

Hi. I'v been playing technic pack alot and i enjoy it. But there's a thing i dont understand: What happens if i mix cables? All cables have different EU losses. An insulated Copper cable looses 1 EU every 5 blocks, while a glass fibre cable looses 1 EU every 40 blocks. My question is what would happen if i mixed the cables? What would happen if the cable started with a glass cable and all the other cables were insulated copper cables?

Simple, the energy from the glass fibre gets passed to the copper wire, and the copper wire transports it further

But why would you want to do that? Just go ahead and keep using glass fibre and you'll be fine

Since technical difficulties ate my last post, I'll just say this: there's no reason to mix cables, but basically glass fibre cables has 0.025EU/wire loss and copper insulated has 0.2EU/wire loss, so just do the math.

Edit: Glass fibre cables are better than I thought, apparently!

Since technical difficulties ate my last post, I'll just say this: there's no reason to mix cables, but basically glass fibre cables has 0.05EU/wire loss and copper insulated has 0.2EU/wire loss, so just do the math. Also note, glass fibre loses power 1EU per 20 blocks, not 40; LV tin cables lose 1EU per 40 blocks.

Nope, according to the official IC2 wiki, http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Cable#Cable_Efficiency Glass Fibre cable loses 1 EU per 40 blocks, just like Tin cables

I usually use glass fiber for long-distance distribution and copper cable for short-range local-area stuff, until I get enough diamonds that I just use glass fiber for everything but my EV needs.

EV, you mean. Glass Fiber handles HV perfectly.

Alright, I'm pretty sure in the past it was 20 blocks for glass fibre cables... so now, science time!

After testing it with a length of 39 cables, it was indeed lossless transfer... so I guess they changed it at some point, and now they're as good as tin cables!

You can get unlimited range lossless transmission by inserting energy storage devices at certain distance. For copper a batbox after every fourth cable piece will do just fine.

Only problem is it's rather expensive and cumbersome to relocate without loosing energy stored in those batboxes.

Yeah, double-transformers are quite definitely cheaper. I've mainly used batboxes with miners like that at start. Main thing it gives me is that I don't need to worry too much about keeping my generators fed since having 4+ batboxes between them and miners give me pretty decent buffer.