Recommendations of items to disable

If it's open, forget anything that has to do with nukes, nova TNT/cataclysm and all explosives, pretty much. Also, restrict the crafting and the usage of reactors to the staff, or the trusted members if you want. All RM tools too. Finally, I find that the servers blocking energy collectors are far more interesting. I've heard there is a nasty duping bug with the RM furnace too. Lastly, if it's a PvP centered server, you'll want to disable the quantum chest plate. Nothing else on the top of my head right now.

Energy collectors as in IC2 solar panels?

No no, those are fine. I'm talking about the energy collectors from EE. I don't know making a diamond each ten seconds out of thin air is pretty painful for a server's economy. Plus, it more or less removes any motivation one would have to make a resource making factory, since they can just make magically appear pretty much anything they want, other than the endgame EE items. Of course, if you want your players to have some kind of creative mode once they're far enough into the game, it's your choice. This is a viable option too, if you want to make big constructions eventually.

I would recommend what xylord said especially regarding explosives. I would also recommend disabling energy collectors and energy condensers, as they allow players to enter creative mode lite within a day or two of joining a server, which would wreck any attempt at an economy for a server. Mass Fabricators can also be used to spawn matter, but it can't make everything, and requires a lot of EU to make anything, so its somewhat balanced. There is also a discussion on BC, mainly pipes, causing lag here: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/how-much-lag-does-buildcraft-actually-cause.17691/.

If you want it to be a public server: Disable the whole Equivalent Exchange Mod. It's just to easy to get item with it. You are able to get 1000000 diamond blocks within 1 week.

I have to disagree with this. It's only the energy collector aspect that makes it really broken in this aspect.