What NOT to do to disable Immibis' dimensional anchors: A short story

Skuli

So I've been having some strange errors and took a maintenance window this morning to disable ALL chunk loaders, one mod at a time.

I disabled world anchors/cart anchors, rebooted, checked a few known locations, no problems.

Teleport tethers, disabled, reboot, done. Tested fine.

Dimensional anchor, disabled, reboot, done.

"That's wierd..." I think.

"I wonder what's up."

A quick glance at "top" showed minecraft was maxing out all cores on the server, almost 800% cpu usage.

A quick glance back at server console showed "Out of memory" errors from java.

That's when it dawned on me: To disable Immibis' chunk loaders I'd set chunkloader.id =0; I'd just set every block of air in the entire Minecraft world to be a chunk loader, and those chunk loaders would cascade out from spawn as far as my server RAM would permit...

So, the moral of this story is: Don't do what I did.

AFAIK minecraft (or forge or whatever) automatically deletes unknown blocks. That means that when map loads, it will automatically delete all anchors from the map because it will not recognize them.

Only on loaded chunks. It doesn't scan the entire map file every time it starts up for unknown blocks, as far as I know.

The theory (in my mind!) was that the dimensional anchor plugin would load the chunks it expected to see chunkloaders in; Minecraft would then be forced to load an invalid block and replace said block with air, and the dimensional anchors plugin would then remove the chunkloader from it's internal tracking mechanism, whatever it is.

But that turned out to be a complete and total failure...