Dedicated server questions

JunkyPic

Hello ladies and gents,

I come to you in hope that you are wiser than I.

I've recently purchased the following dedicated server configuration:

CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1230 - Benchmark - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1230+V2+%40+3.30GHz

RAM - 16 GB DDR3

HDD - 120 GB SSD

Bandwidth - 100 Mbps Unmetered

Running on Ubuntu server

I want to know the following(given that most of you have had at least some experience in hosting servers, I'm sure you can help me):

The server will be a pure SMP No PvP Tekkit server.

1. How many players will this be able to host? A better question, how much RAM/player is a good ratio?

2. What plugins should I avoid and which ones I should get?

3. Should I disable World Anchors and similar items?

4. Is there a "best" OS for running Tekkit?(Since Java works fine on any OS, the issue would be handling the sequence of operations better, rather than a compatiblity issue)

5. How "compatible" is Tekkit with a x64 OS/java?

If there's anything else I should know, please, feel free to post it.

Hello ladies and gents,

I come to you in hope that you are wiser than I.

I've recently purchased the following dedicated server configuration:

CPU - Intel Xeon E3 1230 - Benchmark - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz

RAM - 16 GB DDR3

HDD - 120 GB SSD

Bandwidth - 100 Mbps Unmetered

Running on Ubuntu server

I want to know the following(given that most of you have had at least some experience in hosting servers, I'm sure you can help me):

The server will be a pure SMP No PvP Tekkit server.

1. How many players will this be able to host? A better question, how much RAM/player is a good ratio?

2. What plugins should I avoid and which ones I should get?

3. Should I disable World Anchors and similar items?

4. Is there a "best" OS for running Tekkit?(Since Java works fine on any OS, the issue would be handling the sequence of operations better, rather than a compatiblity issue)

5. How "compatible" is Tekkit with a x64 OS/java?

If there's anything else I should know, please, feel free to post it.

Holy mother of f***. How much did that system cost? I have to say I'm incredibly jelly if you, sir. My state doesn't have fiber so I'm stuck with 10mbits up.

1) I couldn't say exactly, but A LOT.

2) Get Essentials, WorldEdit, WorldGuard, and NoLagg. Those are the bare essentials to me. I don't normally run NoLagg because of its known past and present glitches, but it does have a useful feature that stacks items of the same type together which is VERY useful in Tekkit because it solves the dillema of overflowing pipes.

3) With 16 gigs of ram... no. I haven't heard of people using them to grief/crash servers but if you want to avoid this, disable these and enable the Dimensional Anchors which are new in 3.1.2 and have per-player limits.

4) I use Slackware on both my vanilla server and my Tekkit server. It works amazing, but you need to have at least some Linux experience. It's not the easiest distro to use.

5) I've been running a server for over a year on a 64-bit system and I've had no problems. Get Java 7 for best results.

1. You will likely top out at approximately 200 clients for a stock Minecraft server with those specifications. Taking into account some of the overhead involved with the Bukkit API and subsequent modifications supplied with Tekkit you can safely estimate 170 clients (96 MiB/player) on a light-load server and 128 clients (128 MiB/player) on medium to high-load servers.
  2. There are far more knowledgeable people here with respect to which mods are must-haves and must-not-haves. I'll leave this question up to them.
  3. If you're concerned about resource constraints, this probably won't be too much of an issue. You can always keep an eye on it and adjust if necessary.
  4. As you stated, Java is a cross-platform language so any benefit from one OS to another would exist in the realm of operations. For example, filesystems (snapshotting, deduping, compression), integrated backup solutions, overall stability and ease of management (patching), integrated networking solutions (LACP, failover) to name a few points of interest.
  5. The Tekkit binary runs just fine on x64-based operating systems. If you intend on using more than 1 GiB of memory it is actually recommended you use the x64 JVM.

Hello there, I have a similar setup.

Except 1gbps port and running on a reg HD instead of SSD.

I've had 50~ people with no problem.

I would disable world anchors. I've noticed alot of lag is created by players and their machines. Not really the amount of players, but what their doing, especially build craft. A couple of idiots running leaking 64x64 will kill anything quick.

I've run them both on windows and linux systems. I prefer windows.

It's easier to use for beginners to use.