Borderlands 2, NDAs, and Modern Journalism.

Jay?

So, there was a big hullabaloo about BL2 recently, how eurogamer released 14 minutes of gameplay footage, which was apparently covered in a non-disclosure act somewhere along the line. There was a lot of BL2 publicity that arose out of it, among other things. However, one phrase gave me pause. A lot of people bandied about the term "shoddy journalism".

And then there's me thinking "no wait, isn't that BETTER journalism?" The source was accurate, the information was correct, and it filled a spot in the community that was previously lacking. Basically, i'm wishing journalism was more like the way it was long before i was born, in an age where journalists are feared and hated because they will do ANYTHING for a story. We have such watered down journalism now, where the things people want to keep secret are kept secret, whether or not they're things that the general public should know.

Before you get your knickers in a knot, i realize that Borderlands 2 is not exactly "serious business", but it still underscores something i view as a decidedly negative trend.

MWO is the same way. I have other things I'd love to do. There's even a Mechwarrior game I really enjoy currently out. MWO has no advertising, no reporting aside from the occasional IGN piece, and thanks to their NDA, almost no gameplay footage, and they expect me to be all excited. I was, about a year ago, and if they hadn't put the NDA in place, I'd still be excited, but now I've pretty much moved on to greener pastures.

edit: for those of you that aren't telepathically reading my mind, MWO= MechWarrior Online.

Armored Core is too "giant people" and not enough "walking tanks". MW4 is free now, and MechWarrior: Living Legends is a free mod (if you own Crysis Warhead) with amazing graphics and more than just 'Mechs. Tanks, Aerospace, infantry, everything.

MWO is supposedly coming out this summer, but the devs' lips are sealed. :/

Nowadays, it's just so hard to be sure the information the media gives you is really unbiased. Most newspaper channels are owned by corporations, and corporations want cash. And the cash comes before giving truthful information. If letting a news pass under the radar will get them a few millions, or let them be a bit more corrupted, no doubt they'll do it. It would be just so nice if journalists (And people in general, while I'm at it) could do their job for doing their job, not to round the ends of months, but they really can't help it, their livelihood is at stake. Talking about BL and that reminded me of the lyrics of this song :

Armored Core is too "giant people" and not enough "walking tanks". MW4 is free now, and MechWarrior: Living Legends is a free mod (if you own Crysis Warhead) with amazing graphics and more than just 'Mechs. Tanks, Aerospace, infantry, everything.

MWO is supposedly coming out this summer, but the devs' lips are sealed. :/

Crysis Wars, actually. And if by "infanry" you mean "paper battle armor", then yes.

MWO is going to get its ass kicked by Hawken.

I recognize that it's unfeasible for modern journalists (see: Julian Assange), I just feel like the modern world could do with a nice, big, binge drinking, coke snorting, truth speaking, Hunter S. Thompson clone. He would walk into rooms and you could identify all the bankers, because they'd be busily scurrying out the windows.