Not sure if I should use Technic Pack Anymore

inittowinitall

For one, the Technic pack is not the pinnacle of minecraft modding. That's not to say work hasn't gone into it though :D

For two, the launcher is derived from the Spout launcher. It will not harvest your details in any way.

Your details cannot be accessed by any member of the Technic team - all traffic is handled through minecraft.net's own servers.

If you are REALLY concerned, the launcher is 100% opensource. Feel free to visit the Git repository and dig around for yourself.

For the record, what antivirus are you using that came up with this result? the launcher is totally clean via Avast, MSE, and McAffee.

I know that it redirectes all of its info to the minecraft servers but I cannot be sure that it doesn't leak out important info elsewhere. I'm faced with the unknown and not sure how to deal with it at this moment. Who is to trust? Microsoft or the community?

Also I meant the pinnacle compilation of minecraft mods, but that's a minor detail.

For the record, what antivirus are you using that came up with this result? the launcher is totally clean via Avast, MSE, and McAffee.

I'm gonna pop back in and bet $20 it's Norton.

EDIT : Microsoft? Jesus, man. Well look, as Jay? said, you can have a look yourself. Everything goes straight to the minecraft lot. The launcher itself is just an extension of Minecraft's vanilla launcher, correct me if I'm wrong though.

I know that it redirectes all of its info to the minecraft servers but I cannot be sure that it doesn't leak out important info elsewhere. I'm faced with the unknown and not sure how to deal with it at this moment. Who is to trust? Microsoft or the community?

Also I meant the pinnacle compilation of minecraft mods, but that's a minor detail.

Uh... Microsoft and the community are in agreement, that the launcher isn't dangerous. Microsoft Security Essentials does not identify any malicious code.

Also, i TOLD you what your ultimate solution is. Go dig around in the source.

That's odd. MSE shouldn't be worried about the launcher, this is the first i've heard of MSE having a false positive with the launcher.

Have you done any hacking of peoples systems in ComputerCraft? maybe you've stumbled upon a line of code that MSE recognizes as malicious.

Care to post up the bit of the report dealing with the file MSE is telling you is malware?

A great confusion stirs around in me. It was telling me it was malicious and now its not. It is being rather inconsistent right now. The other antivirus, Mcafee saw nothing. Skimming through the source yielded nothing unusual, too. I think Technic is not the problem now, but it is still a possibility. Also, I have not done any computercraft hacking, which I don't know what that is.

It's a possibility that you could have a virus that's screwing with your AV. There are a lot that do that nowadays. Have you been getting pop-ups telling you all about some new miracle antivirus, or that you're infected with 1,792,073 viruses?

No. I only trust Mcaffee or MSE. I know I have Google Redirect (a pain in the glutimus maximus), but I don't think it is affecting my AV other than eluding it. Also, my father has caught sight of my brother's Technic redirecting to a "id stealing" site. I think this is what he meant when he said my Technic was infected with id malware. He then said he used MSE and found "something" and might have automatically blamed Technic for having id malware. When I went around and used MSE and Mcaffee, I did not see anything. For the sake of keeping my posts as short as possible, in all of the above I just combined my father and I to "me". I hope this is not too confusing.

EDIT: Just found out this is not on my computer but my brothers. My father was being deceitful in telling me it was mine. This explains why my antivirus did not catch anything. I know I've just thrown $#!+ into a blender told you it was a gourmet dish only to find out it was not. And I am sorry for wasting your time due to confusion on my end that I should have had sorted out prior. Although, all of the above I said about mine still applies to my brother. I cannot check because he deleted Technic off his computer like a good little boy who listens to his dad. Still, Different computer, same issue. *PHEW* that was a lot.

Well, get your brother over here with that virus scan report.

Also, is it possible that either your brother is an idiot that installs shit without looking, or that your father is an idiot who assumes any kind of password redirecting is theft?

My brother installs shit. tons and tons and tons of shit. And my father claims to see that Technic is redirecting to a sight the he "knows" to be an id theft sight. He, my father, is an internet security sales/ fix this thing now guy so he has plenty of credibility. My brother, not thinking, also has no accessible reports. HIS AV MSE is most likely infected and is not giving reports and he closed and deleted his history. Chances are his computer will be wiped.

So let me get this straight. Technic does not contain viruses; Norton hates Technic; Computercraft screws with AVs if we hack another computercraft computer; and the sprout launcher may be susceptible to viruses which then redirect personal info to online sights?

So let me get this straight. Technic does not contain viruses;

True

Norton hates Technic;
Not entirely, Norton DOES have some issues where it prevents some people from downloading the pack initially though.

Computercraft screws with AVs if we hack another computercraft computer;

This is only speculation. Any computercraft program you make is technically stored on your computer, and if it uses malicious style code, it is possible that an antivirus would detect that. I have no clue whether that has or can happen, it was just an idle thought.

and the sprout launcher may be susceptible to viruses which then redirect personal info to online sights?

Not that i can see. The spout launcher, and thus, the technic launcher as well, are open source, which means that if someone were to put malicious code, or an unauthorized redirect in it, people would find out in short order, and publicize that fact.

Thank you so much. I will use this info for the betterment of me and my brother. Chances are a virus chose an already downloaded Technic as a host and started using it to send info to a website everytime Technic is used. I did my research on the spout launcher and saw that most virus related issues were caused by a virus choosing an already downloaded spout program. I know I could have made this thread a lot shorter if I had all of my information beforehand. And again MANY thanks to you, Jay?, for solving my, then my brother's problem.

Glad to know that your Launcher is safe, Isn't your brother educated in viruses? viruses CAN steal passwords & stuff, That happened to him YET. He needs to get his mind right and just fix his computer before something bad happens, like someone uploading a picture of him for example picking his nose to his facebook. possible, but unlikely to happen.

I know I have Google Redirect (a pain in the glutimus maximus), but I don't think it is affecting my AV other than eluding it.

Do let me know if you find a cure for that. I managed to get rid of the toolkitRootkit that was supposed to be causing it, but it's still happening...