Setting up a local server

crzymn777

I have enjoyed the "open to LAN" button in vanilla Minecraft, but since this is not an option in tekkit (as of this writing) I have not been able to play it with my friends. After trying the Tekkit server on the site, I have been able to join the server myself (using "localhost") but noone else on my network can join. What, if anything, can I do to fix this?

"Open to LAN" isn't added until MC 1.3+, which no mod pack uses, at least any of which I've heard. You will need to somehow get a public IP address for people over the internet to join, either using a VPN tool like Hamachi, or simply port-forwarding from your router's IP to the server host's. If you're trying to play on a LAN, your the network IP address for the server might work.

I have my own server runing off of my pc, but I need to know what server settings or program I can use to allow others on the same wireless network to join because my default IP adress doesn't let them connect.

EDIT: I can still connect using "localhost" as the IP adress.

localhost only connects to the service running on the same machine as its effectively 127.0.0.1 ip address.

if the server is running on the same machine you can use the 192.x.x.x ip of that machine, 127.0.0.1, or even localhost

everyone else needs to use the 192.x.x.x ip.

No, port forwarding will not work, since the port changes every time you open to LAN! You can either use Hamachi (I haven't tested this) or run a dedicated machine with a server on it.

are you talking about the 1.3.2 vanilla lan play option?

by default the server up until this point has run exclusively on port 25565 and would not change.

I have not heard of a single application that would randomly pick a port to connect to the lan besides a virus looking for an already open port.

Hence, port forwarding DOES work if the traffic is coming from outside your LAN.

But the clients are connecting from inside my LAN, and can't connect because minecraft thinks it's trying to connect to itself.

thats because you are giving them the wrong ip. Internal to your lan has nothing to do with ports or forwarding.

first off, are you specifying an IP in your servers server.properties file?

do you know the IP you need to be using for your server?

like silent said above, open a command prompt window ( don't use run ) and use ipconfig to see what ip address you are presently using. This will be the internal lan IP of the machine. I forgot there are a couple brands that like to hand out 10.x.x.x ip's instead of the usual 192.168.x.x range.

you are better off of course going into your network settings and modifying your tcp/ip settings to force a static IP for the machine you plan to be hosting from anyway. And always do it if you plan to port forward outside traffic to the host.

Well, hello Mr. Newbie.

I see you post in the wrong forums and don't give a shit!

Goodbye.

are you talking about the 1.3.2 vanilla lan play option?

by default the server up until this point has run exclusively on port 25565 and would not change.

I have not heard of a single application that would randomly pick a port to connect to the lan besides a virus looking for an already open port.

Hence, port forwarding DOES work if the traffic is coming from outside your LAN.

Yes, yes I am. The LAN always picks a new port when opening to LAN for some reason, and you can't change it without modding (I saw a mod for that once, can't remember what the name was)

EDIT:

then we dont give a fuck shit about your server. prepare for an inbound DDoS.

Dude. No.

Yes, yes I am. The LAN always picks a new port when opening to LAN for some reason, and you can't change it without modding (I saw a mod for that once, can't remember what the name was)

I'm sorry, i just refuse to believe this until I see it myself. There's no logical reason to code it in such manner. It provides no benefit to the program and only problems for the users. How would any schmuck port forward to play with his buddy with the new "publish to lan" feature if you never know what port its going to use to forward. Let alone windows firewall and antivirus programs throwing shit fits at it for port hopping.

Opening to LAN = Players connecting to the host, if they're connected to THE SAME WIFI AS THE HOST. And only that! (LAN = Local Area Network, but for Minecraft it's the internal router IP that the router defines)

If you want to play over the internet (IPs like 4.64.4.144 and etc. are external IPs and need portforwarding) then you port forward and host a normal server, not a LAN world. You don't need to port forward if you're playing under the same wifi, ad-hoc network or personal hotspot. Ports are only for incoming/outcoming internet connections.

Also, proof:

http://imgur.com/a/4EQQd#0

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the necro (thread got unwatched somehow) but has anyone gotten a lan server to work with the 1.2.5 version of tekkit, and, if so, could you let me know what method you used?

Since you already necro'd,

here's what you do. (Note: This is a tutorial on how to set up a server on a special dedicated computer, meaning it will run the server and nothing else, also only for windows/linux :) )

WINDOWS

1) Download the Tekkit Server.

2) If you only have 3GB or less of RAM, right click on launch.bat, and change "java -jar -Xmx3G -Xms2G Tekkit.jar nogui" to: "java -jar -Xmx1G -Xms1G Tekkit.jar nogui" (If Java requests more RAM than you have, it'll crash the server.)

3) Start server.

4) Type "stop" into the server command prompt (Wait until it says "Done!")

5) Edit server.properties to your liking (tut), as well as the mod configs, add plugins, whatever bro.

Now the tricky part..

Explanation: By default, minecraft servers use the port "25565" for connecting, and it's perfect! No one uses it and it's easy to remember! (FYI, if you connect to a server with ":25565" at the end, there's no need for the port). For LAN servers, you don't even need to port forward (I'm assuming you know what LAN means: connecting in the same WiFi as the host computer). To get the internal IP (what you connect with, if you're having a LAN party and not an internet party, in which case I bring the beer) you just press the Windows key (between Alt and Ctrl, has a windows logo on it) and R (press them together!) and it should bring the "Run.." console. Type in "cmd", and a black box should pop up. There, you type "ipconfig" (then enter, duh) and scroll up until you see this line:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::116c:1280:d521:c146%12

[i]  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101[/i]

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

(it's the line in italics btw)

That's the IP. You connect with that. (Don't forget to OP yourself!)

Linux

Linux is much easier (seeing as I use it, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, so any similarities are because of my ignorance in linux derivatives.

Follow step 1 in the Windows tut. (I assume if you're using linux you are a terminal pro)

2) To start server, open Terminal.

3) CD to the location of the server.

4) Type this in (CASE SENSITIVE): java -jar -Xmx1G -Xms1G Tekkit.jar nogui

5) Follow step 4,5 in windows tut.

6) To see the internal IP, left click the wifi icon on the taskbar (top-right) and click Connection info..

7) It's there.