Is 1GB ram enough to run a small tekkit server

li4m53

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to disagree 1GB is no way enough. And if you've only got 1GB RAM, I doubt you'll have splashed out on a processor that can handle the job. Server hosting even for small numbers requires a good pc (i5+) at minimum (don't even think of hosting on a laptop).

I'd have to disagree 1GB is no way enough. And if you've only got 1GB RAM, I doubt you'll have splashed out on a processor that can handle the job. Server hosting even for small numbers requires a good pc (i5+) at minimum (don't even think of hosting on a laptop).

He said he was getting a server host, meaning it is dedicated and not run on a pc or laptop. So having a 1 gb server does not necessarily mean the processor is crappy; it just means he gets 1 gb of the ram (32 gb usually if its a good server box) that the host owns.

When I started my server, it had ~12-15 members online with 1gb, had 20 tps and no lag. Now I use more though, 4gb for ~40 members usually online. Still 20 tps, but the server only takes up about half the allocated ram. If you use 1gb it will take up 100% of it though.

He said he was getting a server host, meaning it is dedicated and not run on a pc or laptop. So having a 1 gb server does not necessarily mean the processor is crappy; it just means he gets 1 gb of the ram (32 gb usually if its a good server box) that the host owns.

When I started my server, it had ~12-15 members online with 1gb, had 20 tps and no lag. Now I use more though, 4gb for ~40 members usually online. Still 20 tps, but the server only takes up about half the allocated ram. If you use 1gb it will take up 100% of it though.

Well it depends on when you started your server. Things have changed and there is a lot more mods now a days which also results in higher ram usage along with plug-ins. Also it depends on what you are doing as well, stand next to my two skyscrapers that are made with over 3 million blocks and 10,000 lamps and see how well even 4gb of ram does.

I am running a tekkit server with only 1GB of ram and I am getting ready to upgrade it.

I am currently the only one playing on it right now. It is not enough ram to support just me playing by myself anymore. When I first started the server it ran great for several months and it was just me and a few friends playing on it. 6 players at once is the most I have ever had on it, with no problem. But when I built my HV solar array factory the 1GB is not nearly enough anymore. I can take the server from 80% free ram to 0% free ram in 5min or less if i flip the switch on to my factory. I am also using the redpower tubes instead of the buildcraft pipes to try and help with lag/ram. I am sure I could probably reconfigure my factory to take less ram but I can just imagine how fast the ram would disappear if I had other people on the server building factories.

So with my personal experience. 1GB may be enough for you if you and your fiends are just starting out on tekkit and learning how all the stuff works in survival for a couple/few months. With the server hosts I have used, upgrading the ram is an easy process that can be done at practically any time. So if you are just learning in survival and your players are not advanced engineers yet, you can maybe save some money for a couple/few months by starting out with 1GB then upgrading later.

Yeah, thats probably true. I had upgraded to 2 then 3 gb within a couple weeks because of donations, and that was before anyone had gotten that far into the game to cause so much lag.

If you and your friends each pitch in 5$/month you should be able to get at least a 4gb server

mc-gameserver.com

supports tekkit, amazing owner, 5$/month/gb, very reliable. my top suggestion :)

You had me really excited there when you said $5 a month per gb. I went straight to the site to check it out and what I saw was this:

• $5 a month for 512MB
  • $10 a month for 1GB
  • $20 a month for 2GB
  • $30 a month for 3GB
  • $40 a month for 4GB

So there would have to be 8 people pitching in to cover the 4GB server. Which still is not a bad deal at all. Just a little ways from the $5 per GB I was hoping to get. that would be awesome to get a 4GB server for only $20 a month. Guess I am gonna stay where I am at for now.

I run a 30 player Tekkit server that on average uses 1.8 GB of Ram. I run it on a 3.0 Ghz E5700 Dual Core processor. 1GB for under 10 players is enough as long as you don't have some plugins such as Dynamap. My server averages at 18 TPS. Server has been going for 3 weeks live (2 months from scratch)

Edit: I have allowed the server a max of 3GB

1GB is enough to host fairly liberal MC server.

2GB is enough to spare yourself a lunch or two.

512MB is enough to ddos a server by having 5 people join and not go outside the spawn build-protection radius.

Server hosting even for small numbers requires a good pc (i5+) at minimum (don't even think of hosting on a laptop).

Makes me wonder how could I host one on a K8 for 939 socket. Which is a high-end from around 8 years ago.