"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ok from what i notice so far is people are renaming the file wrong. Not all systems will for the format in the file name so when people type minecraft_1.2.5.jar while renaming it is renaming it to minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar (including the format) as stated in a previous post by another user. just rename to minecraft_1.2.5 and this wont change the file format on most system setups.

ok from what i notice so far is people are renaming the file wrong. Not all systems will for the format in the file name so when people type minecraft_1.2.5.jar while renaming it is renaming it to minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar (including the format) as stated in a previous post by another user. just rename to minecraft_1.2.5 and this wont change the file format on most system setups.

This has been stated twice now. Most systems default to having extensions hidden but those who don't still need to add .jar to the end.

Okay, I'm back. As Niall has said, you need to have the correct .jar for the modpack you are using. Here is a list of the modpacks, and what MC version they are on:

Tekkit: 1.2.5

Technic: 1.2.5

Yogbox: 1.2.3

Hack/Mine: 1.2.3

VoxelBox Modpack: 1.3.2

You'll need to get the proper .jar corresponding to MC version of the modpack. Then simply follow the instructions in the Original Post, substituting 1.2.5 with the proper MC version.

Ok ive tried downloading minecraft 1.2.5 and putting it in cashe and renaming it and ive tured off antivirus and fire wall and still it loads minecraft.jar 3 times and still says update failed.Ive been alll over the net tring to fix all day and still no go. im on windows 7 64 bit. can any1 help

Make sure that you are renaming the file properly. By default, most Operating Systems hide file extensions, so renaming it minecraft_1.2.5.jar will end up making it minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar, even though you only see minecraft_1.2.5.jar

Try renaming it but without adding the .jar to the end, so if you are using the 1.2.5 .jar, rename it to minecraft_1.2.5

it is situated buggy is getting helped pleaze verify the file extension as well had a gentlemen i just finished helping it was saying it was a zip though it was named .jar

That's a known problem with Internet Explorer. Interent Explorer ignores file types, thus it downloads the .jar as a .zip

You need to either change the file extension or get a different browser. I suggest getting a different browser, as it saves time in the long run.