Can you cheat in Tekkit?

Matt

I'm starting a Tekkit server and was just wondering if anyone knew any ways that someone not opped could spawn blocks, or cheat, or cause general mayhem (Without legitimately earning the things needed to cause mayhem) with the base Tekkit mods. If there is any cheating that can be done, what can I do to prevent it?

I'd like to nip any potential problems in the bud. Thanks in advance. :)

Hey Matt, on my server we've noticed non-op users can use NEI's built in cheat system to control weather and time. Doesn't really impact the game to much, and since we are a private community our users tend to not care or use it to much. I guess it could be used for constant EU from solar arrays, but meh.

Hey Cheapshot, i'm curious now actually. I have permissions setup, of course. None of the vanilla commands, or essentials commands for changing weather and time are given as nodes to my default groups. Yet they can still do this. Is NEI using a seperate command? I guess I could check console and test it. It's not a big deal, just wondering now.

NEI permissions are controlled by the file config/NEIServer.cfg, and by default it does indeed let regular users do a bunch of things like control weather and time. The safest thing is to set them all to 'OP'.

Oh, thanks! That solves that problem.

Just pointing this out: All users can use /spawn by default (i think), which could be a problem on PVP servers (teleporting out of fights). So disabling that would be good.

NEI permissions are controlled by the file config/NEIServer.cfg, and by default it does indeed let regular users do a bunch of things like control weather and time. The safest thing is to set them all to 'OP'.

That was quite helpful thanks. Going to add that problem to the bug list and it will be fixed in the next version.

• 2 months later...