Theft in Tekkit

Diddums

Hello again!

I've moved our little adventure to a new server and all was going well. Until someone nicked a load of stuff from other players. Now what I'd like to know is if there's a way (as the Admin, without any plugins) to see what people have in their inventories? I'm highly frustrated right now, I thought we had a decent community but it seems not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are a couple ways to check. If you have Essentials as a plugin, you can do /invsee <name> to see the inventory of anyone online. There are also other plugins that provide the same functionality. Another option, much more complicated and not recommended, is to shut the server down, navigate to the players directory (.../world/players), backup the file of your name <name>.dat(otherwise you will lose your items and coordinates), and change the name of the suspected player's file to your name. When you log in, you will be located where they last logged out, with their inventory and alchemy bag configuration. Just be sure to put everything back or people will lose inventories.

Sorry for the complicated instructions. Feel free to ask questions.

Possibly also consider some security plugins. LWC can lock any item from being accessed by other players. And I use Towny so that the players themselves can claim land themselves that only they and others they have authorised can build in. Also CoreProtect can log actions taken by players so you can find a griefer after they've griefed.

These plugins do take a bit of work to operate properly with Tekkit though. LWC needs some config editing to lock the non-vanilla items. Towny does stop a lot of things from working in town and needs some work-arounds. CoreProtect needs a patch if you want it to log the actions of DM/RM tools and others.

It's a bit of work but it's worth it if you want your server to grow.

Until gavjenks shows up with his bedrock breaking machine that can destroy what was once thought indestructible, including end portals, bedrock, and personal safes.

Derail alert! This sounds really interesting and I would like to know more. To the kitty jail!

Well to be useful and on topic to this thread:

What I use to stop stealing is TekkitRestrict and LWC, and /invsee to view inventories

TekkitRestrict can block placements of items such as filters, pipes, etc. within a couple blocks of a LWC protection not owned by you. This keeps other players from pumping items out of chests.

/invsee (part of essentials) basically just shows an inventory like explained above.