Long distant nuclear power?

Any recommendations of transporting the power from a nuclear reactor long distances? Me and some friends are pretty stumped atm, aside from glass fibre the whole way we really can't see a way.

1)Make reactor

2)make mfsu

3)make enough tin engines to transport ALL the energy the reactor makes

4)teleport pipes

4b)chunkloader underneath your reactor area

5)energy link at your home

6)mfsu at your home.

You may have some energy loss do to conversions, but your energy will be transported.

BAM.

Alternative:

Put step up / step down transformers or EU storage in the line before you tick a distance based loss. I can't seem to find the faq on this to link... has pictures of the cable lengths and a wool graph showing EU packets. Good read..

Alternative:

Put step up / step down transformers or EU storage in the line before you tick a distance based loss. I can't seem to find the faq on this to link... has pictures of the cable lengths and a wool graph showing EU packets. Good read..

That's fine for a facility maybe a chunk or two away, but if they want to be safe from a meltdown, it would be far too expensive.

True on the expensive side, was just giving an alternate. I run my reactors in the basement of my house (personally) and babysit them the whole time they are on. I charge up a bank of batteries and run the house that way. If I'm away from the house, I set up a small solar array, charge a battery, and run off of that as much as I can. I have lost a couple of houses to curious children, and switches mistakenly left on this way... Hmmmm... You have a point. :D

Since it's Tekkit, that means you should have Energy Links. I think they're less efficient than tin engines, but they have the advantage of only needing a couple of them.

Alternately, you could set up a Charging Bench mk 3 by the reactor and use that to dump energy into a dozen Lapotrons, and use those to ferry power back and forth. It's possible to automate it using Ender chests and retrievers and EU detector cables and all that, but it's a pain in the ass.

Or you can just run the glass fiber cables, since high voltage over glass fiber is the most efficient means of transporting power over a long distance.

If your concern is about the reactor exploding, then you should be able to just surround it with a few layers of reinforced stone and that'll blunt enough of the damage that if your reactor goes boom, you just have to do some minor patchwork instead of filling in a giant atomic crater. I think dark matter blocks will also do the job, if you have EE installed, but I'd test that in single player before relying on it on a server.

If small children or other unqualified people fucking with your reactor is an issue, then you can replace buttons and switches with a computer that requires a password, but doing that is beyond me.

If running the reactor itself is an issue, then you can just have your storage emit a redstone signal when it fills up. This then trips an RS Latch, which then outputs a redstone signal to the reactor and shuts it off. If you want to run the reactor, you have to manually push another button to trip the latch from the other side, and it then runs until it fills the storage and immediately shuts off.

It's a bit of a poor way of doing it, and I haven't tested it but...

Could you have storage devices near the reactor which charge crystals...

Which are then dropped on the floor and pulled into an alchemy bag inside an alchemy chest (the black hole band works in a bag)...

Which then has another same-coloured bag wherever you want to take the energy to...

And then removes the crystals into another storage unit and discharges them.

OFC, that assumes that EE is enabled.

It's a bit of a poor way of doing it, and I haven't tested it but...

Could you have storage devices near the reactor which charge crystals...

Which are then dropped on the floor and pulled into an alchemy bag inside an alchemy chest (the black hole band works in a bag)...

Which then has another same-coloured bag wherever you want to take the energy to...

And then removes the crystals into another storage unit and discharges them.

OFC, that assumes that EE is enabled.

This is basically Ender Chests with an extra step. Charging bench mk3, EU detector cable, some redpower logic, ender chests, lapo crystals, and boom. Instant power transmission over huge distances, on-demand and with very little waste and no power loss. Check out Direwolf20's Let's Play series (Season 2, forget the episode #) to get a really good breakdown on how to do this without buildcraft gates.

I've got energy links set up, but they don't seem to be producing bc power when I have an MFSU wired into it. Anything special I should know about them?

I believe the energy link is BC to IC, not the other way around.

Use electric engines to make BC energy.

If you could do me a favor, I'd like to see the stats for what you're sending and what you're getting back using my method. How much your reactor is producing vs how much your mfsu is recieving after teleportation would be nice.

Maybe if I could get these electrical engines creating power, I've got glass fibre cables into each engine and wooden conductive pipes surrounded by 4 of said engines; these pipes leading to a teleport pipe, which in turn leads to my MFSU. But still, no power from the electric engines.

They still function like BC engines. You need to give them redstone current as well.

Also, you can't put BC energy straight into your mfsu. you need the energy link to move BC energy into IC energy before putting it into your mfsu

Yeah I know, I've got 8 electric engines powered by redstone all pumping into two seperate wooden conductive pipes, but no power is being created.

Hmm. How much power are you feeding them from your reactor? Also, did you set up the energy link at your home?

Are they moving and not producing energy, or are they just not moving?

I've got energy links set up, but they don't seem to be producing bc power when I have an MFSU wired into it. Anything special I should know about them?

You need a wooden conductor pipe connected to the energy link first, then gold/stone

Reactor>fiber>MFSU>fiber>energylink>wood tube>goldtube>>>>>energylink>MFSU> whatever you want