Why so many Windows servers?

grepwood

Windows server is way easier to get your hands on and get working.

Maybe if you're already familiar with windows. Realistically, Servers are just as easy to set up using linux as they are on windows, it's just a matter of where your experience is.

I have always used CentOS 5.8 for my server, it runs perfect, and the reason you see little unix OS help request is because the owners are more professional in their field. Using Windows for hosting servers is not a bad thing, and from what I see core distribution runs better (That might just be me, but hell)

Mmmmhhh... I wouldn't say that. Depends heavily on the distro, of course.

Not heavily. And differences are very little. Possible variables:

- Java 7 is or isn't in official repo

- you need or need not to configure iptables

- you need or need not to be a member of wheel group

- you need, or need not to be a sudoer

- you may need to, or may not need to configure SELinux

- you may or may not be aware that your default shell needs to be rehashed

I have always used CentOS 5.8 for my server, it runs perfect, and the reason you see little unix OS help request is because the owners are more professional in their field. Using Windows for hosting servers is not a bad thing, and from what I see core distribution runs better (That might just be me, but hell)

Really?

I've been working with Windows and Unix servers for the better part of 15years now, and my windows server have NEVER been as stable or responsive as my Unix ones.

(One example I actually used today for something totally different, my Unix web+irc server has been running non-stop with no interruptions or restarts for 2 years now. In contrast my Windows box has to be rebooted practically every other week.)