mass effect

RadioHasNoFuture

The original ending with out the "extended cut" left a crap ton of loose ends and plot holes wide open, and since this was the last Mass Effect with Shepherd in it, it made no sense to leave them open. This was either extreme oversight or a bad artistic decision. Either way, the backlash was large enough that we now have the extended cut endings which close those holes.

The original ending with out the "extended cut" left a crap ton of loose ends and plot holes wide open, and since this was the last Mass Effect with Shepherd in it, it made no sense to leave them open. This was either extreme oversight or a bad artistic decision. Either way, the backlash was large enough that we now have the extended cut endings which close those holes.

ah, that explains a lot. i can't wait for me4 to come out. and perhaps we will see shephed at some point if you've managed to keep him alive (perfect ending)

Well, if I remember correctly, BioWare is taking the same course with Mass Effect as UbiSoft is with Assassin's Creed, new main characters. They may be visited upon in the past or talked about in the future, but the possibility to play as them again is essentially nil.

I hated ME3 to death. It got just so much wrong.

If you play Mass Effect for the gunplay, then you can stop reading and go away.

The point of this series is the branching plot, deep characters and the detailed and excellent stories you encounter along the way.

In doing this, Bioware stumbled upon a system that I consider almost genius - the conversation wheel.

It was so simple, yet vastly effective. Questions go on the left, responses go on the right in height order of Paragon to Renegade. The odd special option would turn up if you had enough points to do so.

The problem ME3 ran into was that this system was horribly underused - there's no denying this game was rushed out there.

Many conversations would feature just two options. No questions, no depth of choice - either super nice Shepherd or batshit insane Shepherd. I was constantly left feeling "I didn't want to say that at all".

Plus, sometimes the wheel just disappeared altogether, with scenes of up to five minutes having no conversation options at all. I didn't want to flirt with James Vega, dammit! (And where the fuck did he come from anyway?)

So yeah, great series, but the last one was pushed too far by EA, no doubt. Had the potential to be the new Star Wars.

Indeed. And day one DLC? Charging for what, in any other game, would have been free patches? EA's asshattery shines through.

Also, the ending pisses me off, but some people might like it. I'm fine with Shepard dying, but the whole plot being thrown away and replaced by "Pick your colour"? Sometimes, I wish there would be a nice, big accident over in EA-town.

I don't care about the DLC bitchfit, but i hated the ending. The ending took this dynamic that we previously had, where every action had a defined and logical reaction, and reduced it to simple maths. There's also the issue of the lack of a "better option" that bothers me. The fact that no matter what you do, you're stuck with the choices of enslaving a sentient species, forcing a new paradigm on all living things without their permission, or irrevocably destroying the only means of galactic contact between species.

I can deal with sad endings. I loved FFX for its sad ending. The difference is that all of the options feel like they aren't really victories.

I don't care about the DLC bitchfit, but i hated the ending. The ending took this dynamic that we previously had, where every action had a defined and logical reaction, and reduced it to simple maths. There's also the issue of the lack of a "better option" that bothers me. The fact that no matter what you do, you're stuck with the choices of enslaving a sentient species, forcing a new paradigm on all living things without their permission, or irrevocably destroying the only means of galactic contact between species.

I can deal with sad endings. I loved FFX for its sad ending. The difference is that all of the options feel like they aren't really victories.

well the refusal ending isnt quite optimistic

In other news, mass erect 4 will be in the swanky Frostbite engine instead.

Because that totally negates the fact the story will be terrible due to immensely pressured deadlines.

Where the hell are they gonna go from 3? i may not have liked it, but the ending WAS closed.

So, i checked out the news for it, and someone brought up a great point. If they make a sequel, it will have to declare one of the 4 terrible endings as being "cannon". I think that a prequel is their only real option here, given that anything else will require either a galactic Borg civilization, no contact between earth and anywhere else, Reapers as part of every day life, or Mass effect 3: 2, the "you did nothing, now you get to try again" edition.

As for prequel content, the skyllian blitz and its surrounding events could be an interesting setting.