DNS ISP Problems

PC-2011

OK so i have my network with a domain on it for all the laptops and desktops. And every time i try to connect to the domain outside i cant but when i connect on the local network it has no problems. Do i have to register for my domain on like some site besides godaddy or something so that i can connect outside the network. I have port forward. thanks for the help.

Yes, you have to go through a domain registrar for your domain name to be added to the TLDs and be known to actual DNS servers.

If it worked like you've tried then every spammer would be broadcasting out that their servers are where google.com should resolve to.

It's better if you read up on registering a domain before you do anything else. Just do a google search for it and look around.

Though frankly you should just register with a host and build your site on it. If you don't know how to get a domain setup then you definitely don't know enough about securing your server so hackers don't hijack your machine as a spam relay and image search trap. You'll get your internet connected shutdown really quickly if they find malware traffic coming from your machine.

holy god, I am trying so hard to actually make any sense of the gibberish you are posting OP but I am failing terribly. I don't know if english is just not your primary language or you simply got dropped on your head too many times as a child and slept through the entirety of elementary school, but you are going to need to start making some sense if you want some actual help.

here is what I got out of your posts:

you have a domain registered with godaddy

you have no idea how networking or the internet works

you have no business being in charge of a domain

clients can't connect to your server from outside your local network

you are illiterate

that's what I got so far, how am I doing?

ok sorry my speech is a problem i know I'm trying to work on that. I'm a sophomore high school taking Ap computer sic and i have had to teach my self everything i know so please bare with me on my learning.

1. yes my domain is registered with godaddy.

2. I'm trying to teach myself doing so well.

3.its was just something i wanted to learn and understand how to use with a bigger picture in mind.

3. you are correct and i am having trouble getting my laptops and desktops connecting to the domain from the out side i had it at one point before my hard drive gave up on me.

4. sorry English is my first language but i do have a little speech and sentence structure problem.

could be a lot of things. in the absence of more details, which I am loathe to try and extract from you, here are some possible things that might be the problem

you mentioned an HDD dying, clearly you replaced it and/or got a new PC. perhaps your public IP has changed? if so, your domain may be pointing to the wrong place

your router is no longer forwarding the ports to the correct internal IP

your server isn't using the port that has been forwarded

you server isn't running

your computer that the server is on isn't running

your ISP noticed you were not only hosting stuff on your residential connection, but pointing a domain right at it as well and put some filtering in place

your roomate/brother/sister/parent replaced your router with a toaster and you haven't noticed yet, despite all the toast it's been inexplicably making lately

I'd guess it's the toaster, but it might actually be the problem I had with my temp-server I throw up for playing now and then. The router can appearently change a computers internal IP, which messes up the forwarding.

It's quite easy to fix with IP binding, but it really made me scratch my head since I thought they bound automatically.

like all services and programs that need ports work but my active directory doesn't. every time i try to connect to the Active directory from outside the network it has problems inside its fine. thought i might be a DNS problem since when you try to add a computer to the domain from outside the network it has the same probelm say no DNS found or something like that. is that clearer i really dont know the best way to explain this problem.

You're running an AD domain?

WHY?!?

Seriously, it looks like you just went through the motions of creating a domain out of a textbook intro because it looked cool. You lack any understanding of how it actually works and are making assumptions to fill in the gaps instead of looking stuff up.

Either drop your domain and figure out the basic services you NEED (not just look cool) individually, or take a MCSA cert class set and let a professional figure out what you're babbling about.

like all services and programs that need ports work but my active directory doesn't. every time i try to connect to the Active directory from outside the network it has problems inside its fine. thought i might be a DNS problem since when you try to add a computer to the domain from outside the network it has the same probelm say no DNS found or something like that. is that clearer i really dont know the best way to explain this problem.

yeeaaahhh... that's not how active directory domains are supposed to work. unless you are either a crazy network admin or live in a house with like 20+ computers and you're the only IT person alive on the planet, you don't need an AD domain at your house, nor do you need to join anything to that domain from outside the network. I thought you were talking about a domain name like www.whatever.com, which would have at least made some sense in some kind of way. this does not make any sense. go read up on active directory and what it's used for, once your head is done exploding you can get rid of that domain controller and just have a normal home network like sane and reasonable people.

I'd say this thread did a well enough job of concluding the year, going out with a flash of stupidity.

EDIT: I think what he wants is to set up a home network, but he also wants every computer he accesses anywhere to magically be a part of the network. I'm not entirely fluent in whatever eldritch language he's speaking in, so this is based off of a rather loose translation.

You have no idea what you're doing and it's not only causing you grief, but is frankly very dangerous security wise.

Get rid of your domain setup and don't even think about running dcpromo until you learn what an AD domain actually is and why you shouldn't be creating one.

Then you need to figure out why and correct it. What you did was choose a handgrenade to take care of a fly in your house. Completely overkill, more expensive than the standard solution by orders of magnitude, and is guaranteed to result in collateral damage.

And yes it's completely possible without resorting to AD, no matter how unique and exceptional you think your situation is. I've been doing it for 15 years on my home networks using machines ranging from win95 to win7 and 3 different flavors of mac. Printers, fileshares, even internet access back when we were still on dialup (because broadband was new and exciting, and therefor the plaything of bigcity folk, not us country bumpkins).

well eveytime i would conect it all i got was incorect printer driver or the drive would show up empty so i just installed a domain the the domain my website was on and never had a problem but when i was outside the network the laptops would never update the password even when they had an internet connection before login

well eveytime i would conect it all i got was incorect printer driver or the drive would show up empty so i just installed a domain the the domain my website was on and never had a problem but when i was outside the network the laptops would never update the password even when they had an internet connection before login

aight, let me lay this out for you.

AD domains are meant to control a LOCAL network. a large local network, but a LAN none the less. you can't connect to it from the internet because you're not supposed to connect to it from the internet unless you're using some VPN action or similar. if you CAN, you have horribly mangled the domain and it's most likely just waiting to be co-opted by any random script kiddy with a copy of metasploit and/or some free time. your laptops have issues because of how the domain workstation authentication works. every PC on the domain has a "password" of sorts that it uses to auth to the domain controller every time you turn it on. this happens before you even log in. periodically, the DC will change the password and update the workstation. if the workstation is not around to update, it gets out of sync and must be rejoined. are you seeing why this becomes a problem when machines are leaving and returning to the network a lot?

your situation is the kind of thing I literally do for a living. I set up that kind of shit, it's what I do. if you can't handle installing drivers for printers I am not at all surprised that an AD domain is a little hard for you to tame.

do yourself a favor, brush up on NTFS permissions and basic windows networking (special attention should be paid to permissions), then learn to google your printer make+model and the word "drivers" at the same time and simplify your life by a whole lot.

edit: oh also your original DNS errors have to do with the fact that DNS is basically the heart of AD. your domain controller is a DNS server and that is what allows the domain to truly function by telling workstations where the domain controllers are, etc. outside of the network you will have a hard time accessing your domain's DNS server depending on where you are. thus, DNS errors.