help making an automated lava power plant

tigerbomb8

i am trying to make a power plant that will take lava from the nether send it to the over-world then put it in a geothermal generator. but to only way i can get the lava from the nether to the over-world is to either put it in cells which uses way to much tin or to put it in buckets but the bucket will get stuck in the geothermal generator, because the only way to get the bucket out is through the bottom which is also the only way to put it in

has anyone got any ideas

You could just pump the lava out the nether into a teleport pipe and pipe it into geothermal generators.

Teleport pipes don't work between dimensions AFAIK, and as railcraft has been removed we are now only left with using ender chests.

(In 0.5.1 you could combine railcraft tank carts with mystcraft portals to ship lava back in liquid form)

Pump some lava into a liquid transposer and provide some buildcraft power (e.g. a sterling engine). It will fill the cells for you.

Direwolf20's has a video (

- also try 22:25 for how to use the liquid transposer) on setting a system up. (Note: He is using the Direwolf20 FTB pack, so it has a few mods that are different - e.g. he has forestry but does not have nether ores - but most mods are the same).

May I suggest not using a sterling engine, but instead hooking up a geo gen to your lava pump next to the liquid transposer, and then power the liquid transposer with a low voltage electric engine and a dimensional anchor. This way, you can have it so that it is always running, without you ever having to refuel it, or worry about it exploding. With my one, I haven't needed to go into the nether in a very long time.

May I suggest not using a sterling engine, but instead hooking up a geo gen to your lava pump next to the liquid transposer, and then power the liquid transposer with a low voltage electric engine and a dimensional anchor. This way, you can have it so that it is always running, without you ever having to refuel it, or worry about it exploding. With my one, I haven't needed to go into the nether in a very long time.

Actually a magmatic engine is cheaper, smaller and more efficient than a geothermal generator and an electrical engine.

Actually a magmatic engine is cheaper, smaller and more efficient than a geothermal generator and an electrical engine.

Ah, that may very well be the case, I haven't ventured into the thermal expansion engines yet and was just speaking from my own experience. Is it possible for them to explode, or are they nice and safe?

Ah, that may very well be the case, I haven't ventured into the thermal expansion engines yet and was just speaking from my own experience. Is it possible for them to explode, or are they nice and safe?

No explosions. Although they put out a maximum of 5MJ/t, they will auto-adjust their output (and fuel usage) to match the rate at which it is used (if less than the maximum of 5MJ/t). If no power is being used and they build up power, they will overheat and will need to be hit with a buildcraft wrench or a cresent hammer (from thermal expansion). This applies to the steam engine from thermal expansion as well.

No explosions. Although they put out a maximum of 5MJ/t, they will auto-adjust their output (and fuel usage) to match the rate at which it is used (if less than the maximum of 5MJ/t). If no power is being used and they build up power, they will overheat and will need to be hit with a buildcraft wrench or a cresent hammer (from thermal expansion). This applies to the steam engine from thermal expansion as well.

Ah, in that case, im gonna stick to the electric engines as they don't require any maintenance as it were.