Copyright?

Rexz

Question

11 answers to this question

I notice redpower is at the top of the list and Eloram has this at the bottom of his download page: http://www.eloraam.com/?page_id=130

Copyright Notice

RedPower is copyrighted material. It may only be downloaded from the links provided here, and may not be redistributed in any form, modified or otherwise, without express permission. Decompilation or reverse-engineering is strictly prohibited. All rights not explicitly granted are reserved.

He decide he didn't like us anymore...? That one may be valid, can't speak for it

Forestry's license seems to jive with technic since its not making money off it, so I'm not sure what that's about:

The code of "Forestry for Minecraft" in source or binary form is the intellectual property of SirSengir.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, it may only be reproduced, redistributed or modified for personal use. If you have other plans, ask first. You will generally get permission for inclusion in mod packs, server packs, etc. One important exception: Don't ask me to okay public links using ad.fly or similar! I draw the line at letting other people profit from my work.

The other references... no idea. Isn't that just the minecraft server parts? I think Mojang has more or less rubber stamped Bukkit so I can't believe including this would be an issue...

Full takedown notice from Github:

It has come to my attention the following files hosted with you contain copyrighted material for which distribution license has not been granted:

https://github.com/downloads/TechnicPack/Technic/Tekkit_Server_2.1.1.zip https://github.com/downloads/TechnicPack/Technic/Tekkit_Server_2.1.zip https://github.com/downloads/TechnicPack/Technic/Tekkit_Server_2.0.zip

Inside the .zip files is included several works for which they do not have permission to distribute, included (but not limited to):

mods/[1]Redpower-all-2.0p4d-b1.1R3.zip (and similar version numbers)

mods/[2]Forestry-1.2.6.6-b1.1R4.zip (and similar version numbers)

Tekkit.jar/net/minecraft/server/BaseModMp.class

Tekkit.jar/net/minecraft/server/BaseMod.class

Tekkit.jar/net/minecraft/server/MLProp.class

Tekkit.jar/net/minecraft/server/ModLoader.class

Tekkit.jar/net/minecraft/server/ModLoaderMp.class

Many of the other contents also are illegally distributed, but the above list refers only to those works where I am personally authorized to act.

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above on the infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, or its agent, or the law.

I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner, or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

[private]

It had better not be mod authors getting bugs up their asses, because anyone who did, just abolished any chance ever in the universe I might even consider giving them money. Technic is one of the best things to ever happen to the Minecraft community, and I can deal with people not liking it, but I cannot deal with people trying to sabotage it. Legal or not.

This is 2012. If you can't deal with your free mod being distributed by a free pack that makes it available to hundreds (thousands?) of noobs who would never be able to install it on their own, then you don't deserve to have anything come back to you at all.

Isn't it legally impossible for the mod makers to declare they have a copyright on the mod because it infringes on the Mojang TOS? And the only reason why Mojang hasn't cracked down on any of the authors is because it does good for the community? So it that's true, it renders that copyright claim completely groundless.

Isn't it legally impossible for the mod makers to declare they have a copyright on the mod because it infringes on the Mojang TOS? And the only reason why Mojang hasn't cracked down on any of the authors is because it does good for the community? So it that's true, it renders that copyright claim completely groundless.

They can claim copyright under us law for any bits not derived from game source like computational algorithms and structures or original item block or gui textures.

• Forum Administrators

This has everything to do with a Bukkit port person not understand what they are doing. Its fine, and doesn't affect us on bit, but we will be taking action against this. :thumbsup:

This has already been sorted out. It wasn't any of the mod authors, just someone who doesn't understand how we operate pretending they have authority to speak for a bunch of people they don't. They were misinformed and the takedown was fraudulent. We are exploring every avenue right now, good or bad.