Trainlines

fadeLocust

How about a mod that runs tracks between villages in worldgen? This would obviously make tracks very easy to obtain, but they do already spawn in abandoned mines (role playing in mind again). A station could potentially be generated at every village, but maybe as a config option (personally, I'd prefer building my own). I think railcraft is aiming to add its own trains, and steve's carts and traincraft would go with it too.

One problem is villages aren't all generated at the same time, and your track would have to traverse a lot of chunks inbetween. Chunks that may have player structures built already.

You'd have to harvest village gen information to detect chunks that would have villages once spawned, build a link map, and then record the chunks in between as "will have tracks running through it". Then act on those records when the chunks are generated so your track structure lines up between current and new chunks.

The train depot building at the village and a new class of villager to man the thing/sell carts would be the easy parts.

Yeah, it would be complicated. Really complicated.

Turtle or redpower frame machine.

The issue is no matter what you do, if you don't have the tracks placed before a player has a chance to enter the chunk then you run the risk of your system punching a hole through someone's base.

Not a bit issue for singleplayer or lan games, but on a big server it's pretty much guaranteed to cause an issue.

Turtle or redpower frame machine.

The issue is no matter what you do, if you don't have the tracks placed before a player has a chance to enter the chunk then you run the risk of your system punching a hole through someone's base.

Not a bit issue for singleplayer or lan games, but on a big server it's pretty much guaranteed to cause an issue.

If the OP knows jarva or anyone who does then I'm sure that he/ she will be able to find a way around it. (Wouldn't towns/ factions or world guard stop the structure from generating?

Rather than make trainlines spawn along villages, you could make train lines part of regular worldgen, and make villages spawn alongside trainlines.

That way, you wouldn't need to know where villages are, or worry about making trainlines through player areas.