Setting up an Oil Refinery?

1. Unless you really want to, don't use refineries, because they are only useful for combustion engines and there are better sources of BC power than combustion engines (eg. use IC solar panels with electric engines or energy bridge or RedPower solar panels with blulectric engines).

2. If you want to find something out about Tekkit Lite, don't use the official wiki, since it won't have much information (Tekkit Lite being relatively new). Look at a combination of sources, such as Tekkit Classic wiki or directly Buildcraft wiki.

3. Here's the actual answer to your question:

Pump in the oil to refine into the side with the 2 tanks (I think you can pump it from the sides as well, but I'm not sure). Pump out the Fuel from the side with 1 tank (note: you must pump it out with wooden pipe and engine; the refinery doesn't push it out automatically, like a Pump). Also, the refinery needs to be powered with about 12MJ/t at maximum speed. The ideal method to power it is to use solar panels and power converters (as mentioned above). If you don't want to use power converters, here's how to do it using engines:

Don't bother using Redstone Engines for this, as they only give about 1MJ/s. The simplest way is to use 4 steam engines, but that won't give the best results.

For max speed, use about 3 combustion engines to power it. However I don't advise using them, as they like to blow up. If you really want to use them, here's a good setup that prevents explosions:

bahxcgbzxlmgfrsi.png

Every time the timer ticks, the toggle latch switches between each side, allowing time for the engines to cool. For a combustion engine which ISN'T cooled by water, it takes ~16 min. to overheat, so set your timer to approx. 930 sec.

Also, there is a loop in Tekkit Classic which gives you infinite energy (obviously, you can use solar panels, but this is cooler). You use an oil fabricator (I don't think that it is in Tekkit Lite), pump the oil into a refinery, pump the fuel into combustion engines (use above setup), use a power converter to convert into EU, then store in BatBox, MFE or MFSU. Use energy to power oil fabricator and use another power converter to power refinery. Naturally, this loop will need some energy to fabricate and refine some oil in the first place, but in the end, it pays off.

(By the way, sorry about the essay :P)

1. Unless you really want to, don't use refineries, because they are only useful for combustion engines and there are better sources of BC power than combustion engines (eg. use IC solar panels with electric engines or energy bridge or RedPower solar panels with blulectric engines).

2. If you want to find something out about Tekkit Lite, don't use the official wiki, since it won't have much information (Tekkit Lite being relatively new). Look at a combination of sources, such as Tekkit Classic wiki or directly Buildcraft wiki.

3. Here's the actual answer to your question:

Pump in the oil to refine into the side with the 2 tanks (I think you can pump it from the sides as well, but I'm not sure). Pump out the Fuel from the side with 1 tank (note: you must pump it out with wooden pipe and engine; the refinery doesn't push it out automatically, like a Pump). Also, the refinery needs to be powered with about 12MJ/t at maximum speed. The ideal method to power it is to use solar panels and power converters (as mentioned above). If you don't want to use power converters, here's how to do it using engines:

Don't bother using Redstone Engines for this, as they only give about 1MJ/s. The simplest way is to use 4 steam engines, but that won't give the best results.

For max speed, use about 3 combustion engines to power it. However I don't advise using them, as they like to blow up. If you really want to use them, here's a good setup that prevents explosions:

bahxcgbzxlmgfrsi.png

Every time the timer ticks, the toggle latch switches between each side, allowing time for the engines to cool. For a combustion engine which ISN'T cooled by water, it takes ~16 min. to overheat, so set your timer to approx. 930 sec.

Also, there is a loop in Tekkit Classic which gives you infinite energy (obviously, you can use solar panels, but this is cooler). You use an oil fabricator (I don't think that it is in Tekkit Lite), pump the oil into a refinery, pump the fuel into combustion engines (use above setup), use a power converter to convert into EU, then store in BatBox, MFE or MFSU. Use energy to power oil fabricator and use another power converter to power refinery. Naturally, this loop will need some energy to fabricate and refine some oil in the first place, but in the end, it pays off.

(By the way, sorry about the essay :P)

I don't quite agree with you, fuel is amazingly efficient is combustion engines, lasting a little over an hour per bucket. combine that with the fact that even a small oil well will have hundreds of buckets in it, you have a long lasting reservoir of fuel to be using. If I find oil early, I actually spend the time to refine it, as with TE, you can easily pipe it around as needed and use the engines to charge redstone cells.

Also, you can use pneumatic generators to produce EU at a decent clip if you take the time to set it up. Perfect if all you want are the electric tools/armor, slap down a charging bench and there you go.

Also, Aqueous accumulators can provide more than enough water for several engines...current record is 16 engines with 2 AA's.

PS: Don't use conductive piping, use redstone conduits they cannot explode and can carry more energy than even golden pipe.

I'm trying to setting up a refinery too to power up my diesel power plant ( actually fuel is a powerful energy source as with 1 bucket you can produce 572k EU ! ) and i've figured out that you can run a refinery powered by only 1 combustion engine and it will generate enough fuel ( 1 bukket every 2 minutes ) to run about 20 more engines ( a bukket lasts around 45 minutes inside a combustion engine ) .

@cashandraven : actually conduits are not so convenient on short distances as they have a fixed 5% power loss while golden conductive pipes loses 0.1% power per block ( so it is more convenient on distances smaller than 50 blocks ) .

I'm trying to setting up a refinery too to power up my diesel power plant ( actually fuel is a powerful energy source as with 1 bucket you can produce 572k EU ! ) and i've figured out that you can run a refinery powered by only 1 combustion engine and it will generate enough fuel ( 1 bukket every 2 minutes ) to run about 20 more engines ( a bukket lasts around 45 minutes inside a combustion engine ) .

@cashandraven : actually conduits are not so convenient on short distances as they have a fixed 5% power loss while golden conductive pipes loses 0.1% power per block ( so it is more convenient on distances smaller than 50 blocks ) .

Conduits also cannot explode from too much power being pushed through them either, 5% is negligible in the grand scheme of things you won't miss it. IMO it's more than a fair price to pay for the benefits regardless of distance.

here is my little refinery operation:

o7c3fNV.jpg

granted, this is using railcraft tanks, which are not in tekkit lite normally. BC tanks could just as easily be used instead.

the combustion engines I used initially are no longer running because I moved all my BC power production to a central location, but you can see how it was setup initially. the engines are cooled with water from an aqueous accumulator just under them. initially I used the oil to run them until I got enough fuel, then I ran them on fuel and they practically filled the 576 bucket tank on 4 buckets of fuel each. the accumulator really takes the hassle out of supplying them with water.

here is my little refinery operation:

o7c3fNV.jpg

granted, this is using railcraft tanks, which are not in tekkit lite normally. BC tanks could just as easily be used instead.

the combustion engines I used initially are no longer running because I moved all my BC power production to a central location, but you can see how it was setup initially. the engines are cooled with water from an aqueous accumulator just under them. initially I used the oil to run them until I got enough fuel, then I ran them on fuel and they practically filled the 576 bucket tank on 4 buckets of fuel each. the accumulator really takes the hassle out of supplying them with water.

Railcraft tanks, stupidly expensive but they make jobs like this so much easier. And Accumulators are borderline broken at the moment, they can handle huge jobs with just one.

Long story short for the OP, I use a steam engine hooked to an accumulator until I get a bucket of fuel. That bucket will make many,many more buckets of fuel for you to use later.