How many kinds of ore..?

Vaygrim

So I just started using Tekkit Lite literally 3 days ago. I've been a Tekkit Classic person for the last two months, but wanted to see if Lite was going to end up being 'better'. I do some mining, do some ore smelting.. and immediately get confused.

I have "Copper Ingots" and "Copper". "Silver Ingots" and "Silver". "Iron Ingots" and "Ferrous Ingots".

What the heck is all this? Why does none of this stack.. and why can I not use ANY kind of copper for a recipe that calls for copper?

It just converts between different mod ores. For example, I think at least 3 different mods in Tekkit Lite have their own type of Copper. The lexicon switches between them.

Use NEI to find out uses and recipes. Typing in "ore" in the NEI search bar should show you all the ores. There are quite a few, but it's worth having them all. They're all useful.

That's what the lexicon is for.

They should mostly work in all recipes using that ore though - Forge mod loader added a feature for cross-compatibility. Thermal Expansion copper will work fine for Ic2 and RP2 recipes.

Yes, pretty much.

I think there's only one type of each ore which actually spawns, but processing it in different ways may give different versions. For example, macerating may give you a different copper to smelting it, but if you stick to one method you'll be fine.

Yes, pretty much.

I think there's only one type of each ore which actually spawns, but processing it in different ways may give different versions. For example, macerating may give you a different copper to smelting it, but if you stick to one method you'll be fine.

Unfortunately this isn't the case. I am Macerating and then Smelting everything that I get, yet I am still getting mixed ingot types as a result. I am constantly having to go back and forth to the Lexicon-Plinth thing just to keep my ingots from turning into a chaotic (and unstacking) mess. Sometimes I get "Copper".. other times I get "Copper Ingots" .. and sometimes I get "Copper Ingots (Factorization)". It's exceedingly confusing and severely stupid.

The development team really needs to consolidate the ore types like in Tekkit Classic, so we don't have this issue. I guarantee it is going to scare off new players due to confusion (because that is what it is doing to me).

Unfortunately this isn't the case. I am Macerating and then Smelting everything that I get, yet I am still getting mixed ingot types as a result. I am constantly having to go back and forth to the Lexicon-Plinth thing just to keep my ingots from turning into a chaotic (and unstacking) mess. Sometimes I get "Copper".. other times I get "Copper Ingots" .. and sometimes I get "Copper Ingots (Factorization)". It's exceedingly confusing and severely stupid.

The development team really needs to consolidate the ore types like in Tekkit Classic, so we don't have this issue. I guarantee it is going to scare off new players due to confusion (because that is what it is doing to me).

They haven't explained very well. You're supposed to turn off all types of ore generation, except for one. Doesn't matter which, they all work, you the technic team just picked one. The Lexicon was made so that people could use worlds that were already generated, with multiple ores.

That explains it. I was assuming you were playing with the default configs,miso only had one type of each ore.

Did you perhaps follow a guide to increase the amount of ore spawning? I know I've seen a lot of people saying that the "best" way to increase the amount of copper, tin etc. spawning is to activate all the other ores, which is not only a bad idea but far from the best way.

If you check out the Thermal Expansion config (Thermal Expansion ores are the ones which are set to spawn as default), it has options to allow you to change the spawn rates and stuff.

I started up the Technic Launcher... selected Tekkit Lite. It downloaded, installed, whatnot. I then started up Tekkit Lite, started a new game world (only adjusting a few graphics settings). Immediately upon mining and smelting ores in the basic starter furnace I noticed that I was getting ingot types that were not cross-stacking. The problem just got worse the farther I reached to mine and the faster I mined (using a Macerator and Electric Furnace).

I literally adjusted only some keybindings in the Options screen as well as resolution and brightness. That is it.

I'm not one to start digging through config files and JAR files to figure out how to "optimize things" needlessly, so this is a "straight out of the box" problem.

Ok, so are you getting multiple versions of the same ore?

Whatever the answer, backup your world and try redownloading Tekkit Lite. If the problem persists, we'll have to think of something else...

Yes getting loads of ore (specifically Copper, Silver, and Tin) which ends up smelting (or macerating and smelting) into various kinds. It seems as tho the furnace randomizes it when I pull the smelted bars out. One batch of copper will be "Copper Ingots" then five minutes later another batch of copper from the same mining area ... processed the same way... will end up being "Copper" or "Copper Ingots (Factorization)".

There was a point where I thought I had run out of copper because there were two seperate stacks of it in a chest.. and the 'sort inventory' buttons were putting them at opposite ends of the sorting list (as one was "Copper" and the other was "Copper Ingot"). Super confusing. All Single Player. No "tweaking".

Definitely sounds like your download messed up the configs then. Pressing the "Clear Cache" button in the launcher options should fix it.

Not sure if this deletes worlds, so make a backup just in case. Better safe than sorry, and you might need it later.

Just to chime in, my install is doing the same thing. It's mostly stock... I removed EE3 and Mystcraft, but other than that I hadn't touched any of the configs. Two other players on my small server (the only two other than myself doing heavy mining) report it as well.

It hasn't been a problem for us but we've noticed it... the oddball copper we've just been using first to make wire, bronze, or alloy plates, since it still works in all recipes.

I think it had something to do, in our case, with the induction furnace's second slot. IIRC it happened when cooking different ore dusts at the same time. Like when baking copper and tin at the same time or something it would pop out a different copper type. (Just as an example-- I'm pulling those ores out of the air, not as a reproducible event.) I'd have to go play around with it next time to be sure...

As for Ferrous, I've picked up small quantities of that too, but it was a completely separate ore from Iron (not something being created during processing) and it doesn't macerate. It just gets chucked in the recycler, along with most of the lead, tungsten, and whatever nicolite isn't being used to make sparkly blue building blocks for the Temple of Disco.

Put Ferrous in a Pulveriser. It's TE stuff.

Check your configs for the server, Shinma. Look, specifically, in the Factorisation and IC2 configs, and check for their ores being enabled.

Like I said, some processing may create different versions of that ore. I'm not sure why the induction furnace would create different ores though, unless you put different ores in.

So here's what I have figured out from my SSP of Tekkit Lite:

All the ore.. is pretty much the same. If I go mine a ton of silver or copper then the game will just call it "Copper Ore" or "Silver Ore". If I Macerate all of it, I just get stacks of "Copper Dust" or "Silver Dust"... no problem. Once I run them through a furnace to smelt them, THEN the problem starts. I can divide a stack of 64 "Copper Dust" in half, smelting 32 of it completely and waiting for the result... getting 32 "Copper". Then I smelt the second stack of 32 seperately, and get 32 "Copper Ingots" (a seperate type). Which order which one comes up in seems completely random as a result of the smelting process. If I smelt an entire stack of 64 "Copper Dust" I will get a single stack of 64 .. of one of three random types of Copper ingots in the game.

It all happens during the smelting process, not during the mining. I am not having multiple types of ore spawn. Rather multiple types of INGOTS are being created during the Smelting process.

So... how do I correct this in my SSP?

It can be that the dust/ignots aren't properly registered in the Forge Ore library and the furnace calls for their respective mods are instead returning their internal versions instead of their library counterparts. This is primarily a mod issue, I'm afraid.

Although this gives me an idea of a Forge coremod library specifically for modpacks... will have to ask LexManos and cpw about making it possible.