looking for more server horsepower

chippewaguy13

Looking at a way to increase the over all horsepower on the back end. right now I'm running with

Minecraft - 6 GB

Dedicated 6 GB

Multicraft Panel

Default Slots: 100

FTP Access

1GB/s Uplink Speed

Looking at:

» CPU: Dual AMD Opteron Quads

» Operating System: CentOS 6.0 64-bit

» Control Panel: No Control Panel

» RAM: 8GB RAM: Included

» Hard Drive: 1TB HDD SATA2: Included

» Port: 1Gbps NIC (1000Mbps)

» Bandwidth: Unlimited

» Firewall: Software Firewall

» Additional IP Addresses: 1 IP - Included

» DataCenter: USA

And:

Intel Quad Core Xeon E3-1270 (4 x 3.20 GHZ, 8MB Cache), 2-bay Supermicro Chassis with Redundant Power

16 GB ECC DDR3(Upgradable)

500 GB Enterprise Grade SATA II(Upgradable)

100 Mbps(Upgradable)

3.2 TB Bandwidth(Upgradable)

The goal is a 250 player lag free server that runs my mix of 130+ mods that I can add additional

worlds/minecraft servers to as the need grows any thoughts? The 6gb server is running everything ok now

but caps out at 100 players, plus I would prefer some more ram. I'm sorry I made similar posts but could not figure out where to put this one.

Job 1: Switch out your HDD's with SSD's. (Not usually something I recommend, but minecraft is rather unique in this instance, that it does a lot of I/O.

Job 2: Check that you ACTUALLY HAVE 1Gbps/100mbps and not just a 1gbps/100mbps port.

Recommendation:

You may find it more efficient to run multiple linked servers. (e.g. Use Transporter or Bungee Cord to link multiple servers together)

Side note: Opterons are great for multi-threading, which minecraft is not. If you wanted to run 30+ servers on the same machine then this CPU would suit you very well, if you're only running 1 single server, then it is very much wasted.

Minecraft - 6 GB

Dedicated 6 GB

Multicraft Panel

Default Slots: 100

FTP Access

1GB/s Uplink Speed

Is what I'm running with now Not looking to spend double but I've got some room to grow once my time is up I've prepaid. Once the player base is built up more I'll go double or more if need be.

$59.94 USD Monthly

$179.82 USD Quarterly

$359.64 USD Semi-Annually

$719.28 USD Annually

The big problem I have is my Multicraft panel shows %52 usage on my 6gb of ram with just 3 people logged in at times. Maybe Multicraft is just doing a piss poor job of reporting usage but it makes me nervous, I am running 130 mods though. So I am thinking that to get the horsepower I need to run the mod mix I want I don't need a minecraft server I need an E3 or better dedicated server.

JJ's hosting has been great to me and for me! I was just looking at what some of my other options are or would be. They have been very supportive and have helped me with any problems I've had as I've grown. I was looking for something with some more PUNCH then a typical minecraft box is all. So It looks like I'm going to be moving into an E-3 dedicated server in order to support higher player counts and the 130+ mod mix I'm running. The 6gb server I'm running now works fine and I'm very happy with it but the eventual goal SOMEDAY is a 400 slot server. I have a 100 slot up and running now.

bocaj1234567 our website is www.peacenhell.com if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll find a link with install instructions. It's my first webpage so a little rough I'm still working on gathering staff and recruiting players it's a work in progress but please check it out! There's free mumble server and email through our web site for our players. I need to get busy on the wiki pages too but I run out of time!!

I saw on my log that a player named viciuos had logged on thought it was you. If it was, was wondering how it ran for you.

And I'm taking your advice and moving the whole thing over to a E3 box after looking into it more. Just finalizing the specs I want now as far as ram (16gb min) and HD (ssd 60GB or 120GB)

logs shows player disconnected. I looked at adding optifine but it's not getting along with the new forge very well. I lowered the view distance to 6. beyond that not to sure what else to do till I get into the E3 box. Unless you have any other tricks up your sleeve (or anyone else does)?

Did you get a chance to look at the crafting list or around just looking for feed back if not no biggie you've all ready helped steering me towards the E3.