HELP - My son lost his world and I'm not able to help him.

EBzzz

Hi,

I've no idea what this minecraft/technic launcher is all about (so please excuse my total ignorance) but my 10 year old son has built some kinda world in technic launcher and now says he cannot find it. He launches the "Technic Launcher" ...then selects single player and expects to see it on a list there but there is nothing there... .... . He spend hours putting it together. I've no idea how this whole thing works (and he's totally new to it too) so any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks !!!!

Pretty much the Launcher is a program for launching different "packs" of mods to play with Minecraft. What likely happened is that your son accidentally switched to a different pack before launching. That would be one explanation anyway.

Is he using the new Technic launcher, or the old one? The new one looks like the one on this page: http://www.technicpack.net/

It could also be that when he redownloaded the launcher, the new launcher generated a new set of files for him. The old one put its files in a place called ".techniclauncher" or similar. The new one is called "technic". It might be possible when he did that the saves just got lost in the old folder when he got his hands on the new launcher.

Here's a simple guide for Windows on how to recover the save.

1. Ask your son what modpack he used.

2. Go find your "appdata" folder by typing in "%appdata%" in the "Run" program.

3. Find 2 folders called ".technic" and ".techniclauncher" . The former is the one where the new launcher puts its stuff and the latter is the old place.

4. Jump into the ".techniclauncher" folder and look for a folder that is named similar to the modpack your son used. (Example: If he told you he used the Voltz pack, there should be a folder named "voltz" inside there.)

5. Go into the folder, and take everything in the "saves" folder and move it to the "saves" folder inside ".technic". It has a similar folder structure so you won't get lost.

6. Ask your son to go see if his world is there.

An even simpler method to find the placement, would be to start technich-launcer, select a modpack (like Tekkit-Lite) and start it up.

To select the modpack in the old launcher, select the modpack in the menu in the top left corner (click small arrow)

To select the modpack in the new launcher, select the modpack from the scroll-menu at the left.

-Then after minecraft has been started with the mods loaded, click the "texture packs" button, and "open texture pack folder". You can now just move down the folder-tree.

The savegame can be found in .techniclauncher/"modpackname"/saves (old launcer) or .technic/"modpackname"/saves (new launcher)

If you have some knowledge about how the folders work, and have read blocker226s post, the rest should(might) be a breeze.

My guess is that he has been playing the modpack called "Technic" in the old launcher, and exchanged it for the new launcher. This modpack is outdated and not a part of the new launcher. But if you still got the old launcher, he should be able to play it just fine. Only problem I can see is to get a hold of the old launcher, but you might have a copy in your browsers download-folder.