JAKJ's "Fair Trade" (discontinued)

jakj

I have decided to abandon this effort at a public mod. (Few would probably care anyway, since I'm so slow to do anything with this in the first place, but if you're interested in my reasoning, feel free to keep reading.) Also, if a moderator could move this into open discussion or off-topic (or even the whale box, if that's deemed appropriate, or else leave it here if you think it should stay), I'd appreciate it.

I've been peripherally involved with Minecraft modding for only a few months, but in those few months I've gone all the way up and all the way down the emotional ladder. I would like to point out to everyone concerned that we are working with a closed-source computer game that still, at this very moment, has a ToS that actually prohibits almost every single current mod from existing. This is germane to my following point.

I have become tired of the attitude that many (not all...but many) modders seem to have. Let me lay out the steps that go into these mods:

1) Break Minecraft's ToS by decompiling it.

2) Break Minecraft's ToS again by altering, recompiling, and distributing entire class files out of it (rarely ever using binary patches instead).

3) Break Minecraft's ToS yet again by publicly providing the source code of the changes made. (It is possible to view the entire decompiled source code of multiple Minecraft versions using nothing but Google.)

Now, I happen to think all of this is fine, because I feel that Notch's anti-modding effort mixed with his mod-tolerant stance of not actually enforcing the ToS is rather ridiculous. But you know what further is ridiculous? When modders turn around and get a hypocritical attitude that actually goes against the process they just went through to create their mod in the first place.

I'm not even going to mention or link to the mod and author I'm talking about here, because my purpose is not to stir up a shitpot. But just today I read a message that a mod author posted, expressing their displeasure that someone had altered their mod (which is an alteration of Minecraft) and was breaking their ToS (as they broke Minecraft's ToS), and that they would not stand for it.

I was, frankly, disgusted. This is supposed to be a community of fans of Minecraft who like to mod the game in creative and interesting ways and make it do fun things most people would never have imagined. And then, when someone finds a way to tweak or improve your creation, and does so, all of a sudden it's an ethical crime?

So, I've lost interest in bothering with trying to pussyfoot around a community that has bad eggs in it like that. I am sorry to the one or two of you who actually cared about this little thing I had going, and if you have any questions about modding that I can answer, especially to do with creative uses of Reflection, class merging, decompilation, and recompilation, particularly for the purpose of adjusting the behavior of mods or base Minecraft, feel free to PM me, and if I know, I'll share my knowledge. (Perhaps you could create a thread in the new Modding discussion section, and PM me a link to it, so I see it and post my knowledge publicly.)

I do want to thank the people in this forum who have been supportive, both by providing knowlege and by providing interest in what I'd done. I'm going to keep posting on these forums and sharing what I know or continue to discover, and I'm going to continue enjoying playing the Technic Pack and watching it evolve as Minecraft evolves, but I'm going to keep my programming activities limited to my own personal copy (amusingly enough, that being what the ToS -does- allow, modding for personal non-distributed use).

As Direwolf says, take it easy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anti-CreeperEnderGrief Mod for Technic SSP (tested against rec. 6.0.7 build)

Will TNT still work?

Anything that uses the vanilla explosion code (such as creepers and TNT) will still damage entities (players/mobs) but will not destroy/drop blocks and will not set fire to nearby blocks.

Hmm, I should make a version that just nerfs Creepers but not TNT. I'll make a note to do that tonight.

Re: Anti-CreeperEnderGrief Mod for Technic SSP (tested against rec. 6.0.7 build)

Anything that uses the vanilla explosion code (such as creepers and TNT) will still damage entities (players/mobs) but will not destroy/drop blocks and will not set fire to nearby blocks.

Hmm, I should make a version that just nerfs Creepers but not TNT. I'll make a note to do that tonight.

Derp. Didn't read too well I guess.

Eeeeeeh, I just looked at the code again, and I think I'll just leave it as-is. It would be easy to make creepers simply do nothing of any kind when they explode, but in order to simultaneously 1) make creepers explode but not destroy blocks, and 2) not nerf other explosions, I would have to modify the World class in addition to everything else, and that's not something I really want to do. Too much shit in there to break and too many mods that might need to overwrite that file.

Unless I wanted to copy/paste the entire calling chain through World into Explosion back into the EntityCreeper class, which I don't really feel like. :P

Eeeeeeh, I just looked at the code again, and I think I'll just leave it as-is. It would be easy to make creepers simply do nothing of any kind when they explode, but in order to simultaneously 1) make creepers explode but not destroy blocks, and 2) not nerf other explosions, I would have to modify the World class in addition to everything else, and that's not something I really want to do. Too much shit in there to break and too many mods that might need to overwrite that file.

Unless I wanted to copy/paste the entire calling chain through World into Explosion back into the EntityCreeper class, which I don't really feel like. :P

Oh well. Who uses TNT in the technic pack anyways?

DERP

I just figured out how to do it without changing any files beyond the one I already did. Why must epiphanies come to me on the way TO work? Oh well. Tonight it shall be dine and I'll put up the class diffs for the curious.

Re: JAKJ's Tweaks For Technic SSP 6.0.7

Have now updated the OP with the new tweaks. The enderman one is the same as before, and the creeper one now affects creepers only instead of all explosions, and both now come with the ability to turn them on/off in .cfg files instead of being permanently in effect.

Re: JAKJ's Tweaks For Technic SSP 6.0.7 - Infinite Lava, Finite Water: No block IDs!

Now included: Additional fluid physics!

*) Make water finite without adding block IDs!

*) Make lava infinite just like water!

*) Make fluids fill lakes better, so they aren't always flowing in the middle.

*) Make fluids fill as they fall straight down, instead of just flowing.

Re: JAKJ's Tweaks For Technic SSP 6.0.7 - Infinite Lava, Finite Water: No block IDs!

Now included: Additional fluid physics!

*) Make water finite without adding block IDs!

*) Make lava infinite just like water!

*) Make fluids fill lakes better, so they aren't always flowing in the middle.

*) Make fluids fill as they fall straight down, instead of just flowing.

You're really on a modding run aren't you? Have you already suggested it in the suggestion tread?

You're really on a modding run aren't you? Have you already suggested it in the suggestion tread?

No, for three reasons:

1) These are just minor tweaks, rather than a full mod. I'm still working on my full mod, but obviously that will take a while to do right (and since I'm doing it purely for fun and because it's making me feel good, I do it at my own pace), and eventually all this will get rolled into one thing that will make it easier for the end-user to manage.

2) This is nowhere near complete.

3) I honestly doubt something like this would ever get put into Technic, except -maybe- some of the tiny tweaks, because I wouldn't be trusted to update: I would be an additional point of failure in the Pack-development chain, because first the modmakers would have to update, and only then could -I- update, and only THEN could Technic update. I doubt they would want to add any steps in that process. :P

Re: JAKJ's Tweaks For Technic SSP 6.0.7 - Infinite Lava, Finite Water, Mo' Creatures

Added two new mods:

*) Ability to disable block destruction from Mo' Creatures explosions just like the creeper mod.

*) Ability to use all tools as normal against werewolves instead of them resisting all but gold.

Re: JAKJ's Tweaks For Technic SSP 6.0.7 - Infinite Lava, Finite Water, Mo' Creatures

Truly amazing this is just the kind of tweaks i have been trying to do my self.

Thank you for doing much better than i could and releasing it to the public

Let me know if you think of any other simple ones. Little things like this are a nice break in between more complex coding.

Re: JAKJ's Tweaks For Technic SSP 6.0.7 - "Fair Trade" 0.0.0.0 All-In-One!

Now updated: Everything in one convenient box, instead of bits and pieces. Everything can be individually installed if desired, and can be configured and turned off if desired without having to uninstall.

Includes improved version of Risugami's Death Chest.

If you already installed any of the "JAKJ*" mods, delete them. If you already installed the improved death chest tweak from my other thread, this is an update to that, so install this one over it into your modpack.jar.

I don't know if or how doable this is for you, but could you take a look at making the weapons from Balkon's mod enchantable? Great work so far!

I just tested with a flail and it's enchantable just fine. It uses the same weapon-material enums as vanilla.

Are there just particular weapons that aren't enchantable?

I just tested with a flail and it's enchantable just fine. It uses the same weapon-material enums as vanilla.

Are there just particular weapons that aren't enchantable?

AFAIK all of them... But I will test that.

I have a suggestion for the DeathChest mod, although it may be getting out of simple territory. Rather than (or in addition to) chests that place themselves when you die, you could have a somewhat expensive item crafted with an alchemical bag. When you die, it will dump your inventory into it's hammerspace. Since it would work just like an alchemical bag, you would just need another copy of the item to get your stuff back.

Alternately, it could dump your stuff into any bags you have on you.

Alternately alternately, it could just place an Enderchest from your inventory.

On second thought, that last one seems much less complicated.

I have a suggestion for the DeathChest mod, although it may be getting out of simple territory. Rather than (or in addition to) chests that place themselves when you die, you could have a somewhat expensive item crafted with an alchemical bag. When you die, it will dump your inventory into it's hammerspace. Since it would work just like an alchemical bag, you would just need another copy of the item to get your stuff back.

Alternately, it could dump your stuff into any bags you have on you.

Alternately alternately, it could just place an Enderchest from your inventory.

On second thought, that last one seems much less complicated.

The enderchest one would actually be the most complicated of those suggestions, because enderchests have to be configured with their colors. Dumping into forestry bags wouldn't help, because those are instanced per-bag, but alchemical bags could work.

(Curiosity: What is a "hammerspace"?)

I assume the point of this suggestion is that, when you die, your inventory should be accessible immediately instead of having to go and get it? I've heard of mods that let you register an actual "death chest" in your home where your stuff goes when you die, but there might be chunkloading issues with that, as well as a new block ID if I couldn't use existing chests somehow. (Might be able to store coordinates for a tile entity in something else's NBT...)

Would probably be a lot easier and simpler to just include an option like the "keep inventory" mod from Yogbox.

Yeah, just tested, and the enchantments do show up, but you can't apply them. Also, they don't show up in NEI. Pass it on to Balkondeur, or could you do that?

From what I saw, the code is correctly overloading the getItemEnchantibility method, and it's 100% clear the weapons are intended to be enchantable. I'm not particularly interested in trying to debug a mod that I've disassembled without source, so once you've made sure it can't be another one of your mods conflicting and messing up the enchantment system, I'd rather you filed a bug report with the mod author.

From what I saw, the code is correctly overloading the getItemEnchantibility method, and it's 100% clear the weapons are intended to be enchantable. I'm not particularly interested in trying to debug a mod that I've disassembled without source, so once you've made sure it can't be another one of your mods conflicting and messing up the enchantment system, I'd rather you filed a bug report with the mod author.

Yeah, it was vanilla technic, so not sure what's up with that...

Yeah, it was vanilla technic, so not sure what's up with that...

Try a vanilla client with nothing but ML, MLmp, Forge, and the weapon mod. If it still doesn't work, then it's almost certainly a bug in the weapon mod.