Can you get a mining turtle to do this?

Demon36

You can't make it not pick up certain blocks, but you can make it drop them. Your second one is already covered by the "excavate" command built-in. If you want to make something similar, I recommend checking that program out and just modifying it.

Why not just go to the computercraft turtle forums and download one of the HUNDREDS of pre made programs that make use of enderchests to let the turtle dump it's contents directly into your systems sorting setup.

Because the built in programs do that already? :P

Assuming you're not using Tekkit Classic, of course. Then they only do basic stuff, no dropping off.

In more recent versions, when a turtle is full it just returns to where it started and barfs stuff onto the floor behind the start point. If there's an inventory, it puts stuff away. Then it carries on.

And if you don't want a square hole that just keeps getting deeper, you can use something like this ( http://pastebin.com/PAPDddcb ) . The program asks you for the dimensions of the hole you want it to dig before it starts. So you could have it dig a 4x4x25 tunnel if you wanted to.

As for filtering out unwanted blocks, I use a filter/incinerator combo on the turtles drop chest...

20130416151525.png

In the picture I had a chunk loaded turtle excavate a stone block castle ruin by using a 'excavate 25' command. On the right of the drop chest is a filter pulling out dirt/cobble/gravel/sand/clay and sending them to an incinerator to be destroyed. If you want to use the buildcraft method you could use an emerald pipe to pull those blocks out and send them into a void pipe. On the left of the drop chest I had a filter pulling out stone brick, mossy brick, chiseled stone brick, and later marble. (I got about two and a half crystal chests worth of stone brick, mossy brick, and chiseled stone bricks from that one ruin)

Later on when I have a proper sorting system at my base I can just ender chest or telepipe the turtle's diggings to be sorted at the base.