What Happened To The Old Technic SSP?

Lykourgus

Now, I realize it hasn't been updated past 1.4.6 because of the lack of IndustrialCraft on 1.5. But, I wonder, is it still being supported? Or will it reappear under a different form? (E.G. Tekkit when IndustrialCraft gets upgraded). Excuse my ignorance if this was mentioned in a news post. Though, it just seems like all support for Technic SSP has been dropped. In fact, there isn't even a forum section for it anymore. So, it's gotten me to wonder...

Anyways, thanks to anyone who clears that up for me. I'm just curious if we'll see the IndustrialCraft-BuildCraft-RedPower trio at some point in time, again.

You seem to have a LOT of misconceptions. For one thing, Industrialcraft most likely will not be returning. Second, Technic SSP never made it past 1.2.5. Redpower will almost most likely not be returning. Both of those mods have been almost completely overtaken and replaced by other mods, that we can also actually rely on to update in a timely fashion.

@Niavmai

Now, just to make sure, I'm referring to IndustrialCraft2. According to numerous sources, the only reason that IndustrialCraft doesn't have any official updates is that Alblaka (Who appears to be the public face of IndustrialCraft) seems to be MIA because of what appears to be RL issues. Though, this hasn't stopped the IndustrialCraft team from continuing the development via their Jenkins page (http://ic2api.player.to:8080/job/IC2_lf/) And many have tried their builds and haven't encountered any major bugs. But, like Technic SSP for 1.4.6, it hasn't been elevated to recommended status. Also, yes, Technic SSP did make it past 1.2.5. What you are referring to is the recommended build. What I am using are the development builds which actually don't have many bugs (I haven't encountered any major ones). And, RedPower 2 isn't even on life-support, from what I gather. From her posts, Eloraams seems to be going through exam season. Or at least she seems to have a lot of RL projects on her hands, keeping her away from RedPower 2 development. So, RedPower 2 is by no means dead. Only reason the Tekkit developers haven't waited for RedPower 2 is that it covers too much of a large mod area to be compatible with all mods. And, as you said, many mods do cover certain functions RedPower 2 covers. So, indeed, it isn't as relevant.

And I'm not aware of many mods that do cover IC2's functions. For example, it's nuclear reactors and electrical system is something that is heavily integrated into most of my build projects. So, IC2 is by no means irrelevant to my play style. Only reason that these big mods do not get updated in, as you said, a timely fashion is that they are very big. Sure, most RP2 functions can be replaced by other mods. But, we can't forget that RP2 functions are made to work together, and that only one person is updating it.

So, again, I don't think my not calling the time of death of these mods "a LOT of misconceptions". In fact, that statement seemed a tad patronizing. But, of course, no offense taken on that point. But, besides that, I appreciate your reply.

@Freakachu

Makes sense given the newer MC updates basically destroyed the wall between MP and SP, from a technical standpoint. From that point, I can understand the removal of the pack. But, it doesn't change that I would really enjoy seeing that trio eventually. Thanks for the reply!

@Ordeth

They are some similarities, I agree. But, I think that trio will reappear at some point in time.

what I hear you saying is that you want RP2 and IC2 because you enjoy them and know how they work. that's totally cool, and it is pretty much the entire reason the technic platform exists. you don't have to be tied down to the official technic packs, you could make your own or find one someone else made that agrees with your tastes. installation is a snap and no technical knowledge is required if you're just using someone's pack on the platform.

that would probably get you the end result you desire a lot faster and easier than lobbying the technic team to put those mods back in the pack, as there are many reasons they were removed and not all of them are simple fixes (don't ask me to list them because even I do not know, I'm just a moderator.)

I really just think that the New Tekkit news more ways to make power as in like Solar Panels and stuff like that. Nuclear Power would be a cool thing to have as well.

while I don't know specifics, I know that there are plans in the works for improved power generation.

Of course. I thought of making my own. Though, I'm under the impression that the whole Technic SSP isn't simply slapping 3 mods together in the same jar and hope it works. Meaning, I have the feeling that there's some amount of compatibility coding going around in the background, well apart from the block IDs and such. But, I could easily be wrong. And I'm not lobbying for it, per-se. I was just wondering if it was in any plans for the future. And there's even FeedTheBeast that's a good alternative. Though, it would probably be simpler to make my own, as you suggested. Anyways, thanks again for your reply.

most of the compatibility happens because of forge, anything else is usually accomplished via config alterations or in rare cases talking to the mod author to get features implemented. in general, most mods work together pretty well on their own nowadays.