Effective Nether Quarry Setup?

theMij

Decided to take a break from devastating the natural landscape and see about swapping to unnatural landscape devastating. Sadly, the lava is really proving to be a hassle. I can't seem to get more than about 20-30 blocks down before my quarry gives up.

The ice trick from previous tekkit versions doesn't seem to be working. I tried with mob essence but the quarry got distracted eating the liquid blocks. Anyone have a trick to deal with the lava?

I suppose I could use pumps and a void pipe. Or just massive storage areas for lava. Both of those aren't exactly ideal, though. Hmm.

I saw someone say you can pour oil on lava in the nether. i have never tried it before

Yea, I was gonna recommend this. Oil can be placed from a bucket in the Nether and acts exactly like water does in that it turns lava into obsidian/cobblestone on contact. You might have to dink around with it a bit, but it should function the same as pouring water in a quarry in the overworld to get rid of lava.

So, did some testing. Oil does work, kinda, but you need to constantly monitor it since the drill doesn't like drilling through oil that's over a certain depth. I've read a thing where someone automated the process with turtles. In theory if you could get the timing right you could just use a simple redstone machine and a sticky piston. At that point though, it probably is easier to just use a turtle. Oh well!

Considering the fact that turtles come by default with an excavate program that digs down to bedrock in the specified size square and dumps everything it mines into a chest placed at its starting spot, it is hard to beat turtles for simplicity. Their only real drawback is the program breaking and the turtle turning off every now and then.