Block Blast Resistance - Common Building Blocks

SemiPr0

Just thought I'd share this given as I was going to actually ask the forums about it but decided to run my own tests instead and the results were kind of dismal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ZcJXYXa-Q

Explosions will definitely be problems.

I just went with common building blocks but I'll test regular obsidian now and see how it goes.

Pure obsidian blocks, a full ground base completely contains the explosion.

A 3x2 with a dirt base blows a hole in the ground but also completely contains.

Very odd.

20130601137011465588690.jpg

Even converting wood to obsidian with the minium stone, you are right, the amount of time and diamond pick wear going into trying to make adjustments to your design if needed would be a problem. (I'm not up to power armor as yet so I don't know if that makes it irrelevant or not).

The power armor claw can mine obsidian with both the mining pick and diamond tip upgrades installed, but it still takes time, and now MJ, to move the blocks.

Your other option for getting obsidian is using the vanilla Obsidian generator. Converts redstone into Obsidian, indirectly. Works similar to a cobblestone generator, with lava and water, but you need to place down redstone each time before adding the lava. But this still does not help with the time involved with mining the obsidian to use on the structure.

Sorry what? obsidian is super cheap once you have a single quarry I get more than I can use or make a nether quarry if you really want a lot of it. Rather than make My whole base explosion proof I just made a bomb shelter, Ironically on the 3rd floor of my factory tower and just covered up the exterior with cosmetic stone. also lit the interior with fabric of reality so it stays dark. probably gonna move my ME drives into there at some point that way even if everything else is destroyed I still have my items. I suppose If you are finicky and prone to whimsy it would be a pain to have to keep redesigning it. but there are ways around it to make it easier, you could use a turtle to demolish a wall which could easily be automated and build flat surfaces with a filler.

Sorry what? obsidian is super cheap once you have a single quarry I get more than I can use or make a nether quarry if you really want a lot of it. Rather than make My whole base explosion proof I just made a bomb shelter, Ironically on the 3rd floor of my factory tower and just covered up the exterior with cosmetic stone. also lit the interior with fabric of reality so it stays dark. probably gonna move my ME drives into there at some point that way even if everything else is destroyed I still have my items. I suppose If you are finicky and prone to whimsy it would be a pain to have to keep redesigning it. but there are ways around it to make it easier, you could use a turtle to demolish a wall which could easily be automated and build flat surfaces with a filler.

That all aside its a little odd that in this version the only block with any real blast resistance at all is unfinished raw obsidian is all. Even the Obsidian Bricks which likely require some crafting time, have zero blast resistance whatsoever.

As everyone that has played Tekkit up to now is aware there have always been varying degrees of block blast resistance and its seems like all the common blocks have none in this version. So its not really a case of "OBSIDIAN R EZ U JUST NEED QRRY" its a case of nothing but obsidian being able to deal with explosions.

If you're on a PvP server this could be quite a problem. One TNT Cart could fuck up your entire world. The blast resistance of blocks doesn't just apply to OMG CREEPERS. I suppose it doesn't really matter for PvE servers and single player but....in a PvP server environment not having any resistance to explosions whatsoever is kinda....bad?

Oh no I'm totally on board with that I think the blast resistance of at the very least obsidian brick, and preferably one other semi expensive yet mass producible building brick should have obsidian level blast protection, I just kinda take exception to the "I don't want to use it because its expensive, (and ugly)" tone, as I have never found obsidian that difficult to acquire, and think that if we have to work within the media then we should be honest about the situation.