Unable to connect to my own Tekkit server from another computer

ScubaSteve

Hi all,

Recently set up my own tekkit server on my laptop, and am now trying to connect to it via my iMac. Problem is, I can't seem to connect, or even let alone ping the server on my laptop - all I get is a time out message after waiting to connect for around a minute.

Things I have done:

- I have been able to set up the server on my laptop and then connect to it when launching tekkit on the same laptop.

- I have forwarded my ports on the router to send port 25565 to the static IP which I have set my laptop to.

- I have the exact same version of tekkit running on both computers.

- I have tried seeing if the port is indeed open by using the site 'http://canyouseeme.org/' and it confirms that my ISP is not blocking the port.

- I added firewall exceptions on the laptop for all the java.exe and similarly named .exes in the java/jre7/bin folder. My laptop is indeed running tekkit with java 7. I also added exceptions for incoming and outbound services on port 25565 in the windows firewall. Might also be good to mention I am using Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop, and haven't done anything with that.

- I have tried connecting via both the local IP on my network and my external IP on port 25565 to no avail.

Possible problem:

Not sure if this matters, but I had to set tekkit to run in java version 6 on my iMac, or the game will not launch, instead closing after I login when using java 7. Switching to java 6 solved the problem of the game closing itself.

Any help on sorting out why I can't connect to the server on my iMac would be appreciated.

well, I would first do all troubleshooting via your LAN; make sure you can ping that computer. If that's not happening then all the other settings aren't going to avail you much (i.e., Port Forwarding and checking ISP blocking). Can both computers access shared resources on the LAN? Do they both show up on your router? Can you see each computer from each other computer (i.e., laptop can see iMac and iMac can see laptop)?

Probably not an issue with the Macs configuration, suspect firewall settings on the PC. Firewalls are designed to block port access from the outside.

good point; you might want to disable the firewall temporarily to see if that helps.

try pinging the localhost on the mac, then the router then another computer, then do the same thing with another computer that you are trying to connect to the mac from. when the ping fails what does it say? also you may need to turn off any firewall the mac may be running

if you open a console screen on the mac and use the nmap command on local host it will tell you what ports are open

if you open a console screen on the mac and use the nmap command on local host it will tell you what ports are open

Or you could use Network Utility in /Applications/Utilities and just use the Port Scan command. Scan the address you are trying to connect to, and see which ports are reporting open. You could even specify the range of ports to be the ones the minecraft server uses.

remotly scanning ports can be viewed as an attack depending upon your router or internet provider which can cause false readings, but it can be used just do so with caution and it is always better to start at one end and work out, then start at the other end and work in till you find the issue.