What in god's name...?

Punisher

There's a glitch with the enchantment tables, it seems. I try to enchant my bow with infinity, but when I drag the bar across, it turns red, and I can't interact with it. Hitting "E" does nothing. And keep in mind, I have about 56 levels, and I'm certain it's a correct bow.

I built it in a village's house, and there's about 8 bookshelves. Should I consider getting a lot more?

You will probably need a lot more. If you notice on the left-hand side of the enchanting table interface, you can see your attainable level of enchantments, in your current configuration. Adding more bookshelves, increases this level, beyond the point of the vanilla game. Just remember to make sure the bookshelves are spaced correctly.

AFAIK, the Enchantment Table needs 15 Bookshelves around it to provide all the enchantments available. More may actually be detrimental, but you should probably experiment with it in single player creative mode to be sure.

AFAIK, the Enchantment Table needs 15 Bookshelves around it to provide all the enchantments available. More may actually be detrimental, but you should probably experiment with it in single player creative mode to be sure.

More raises the maximum amount of enchantment. I have already tested it. You can use more bookshelves and raise your enchantment level, higher than the level 30 limit (15 bookshelves) in vanilla. My current maximum level enchantment to put on an item is 44.

More raises the maximum amount of enchantment. I have already tested it. You can use more bookshelves and raise your enchantment level, higher than the level 30 limit (15 bookshelves) in vanilla. My current maximum level enchantment to put on an item is 44.

How many bookshelves is that? 22?

I have the same issue, I'm over lvl 40 and have at least 15 to 20 bookshelves around my enchantment table. still can't enchant anything after the update. I was able to enchant before the update though.