Amazing Suggestions for Hexxit, A New Way to Fight, and More to Fight: Ars Magica and Mo' Creatures

Flamedude166

So, I've got two mod suggestions for this already epic modpack to get even better: Ars Magica and Mo' Creatures. I'll lay out the ups and downs of each for the convenience of all the readers and especially for the creators.

First, Ars Magica.

Pros:

A completely new way to fight. Since not all people who play Hexxit prefer fighting with the swords and bows created by the Smeltery and Tool Forge, it would allow more players to fight how they want, and would greatly expand the concept of combat to add a range of magic to the options available to fight with.

More enemies. Hexxit seems to have a good focus on combat, as mentioned. Wouldn't it be nice to have a few extra enemies to fight? Elementals, stone golems, mana creepers, and even the Dark Mages, there will be a larger platter of enemies to destroy when out at night, or underground.

More generated structures. Hexxit also seems to encourage exploration. With new mystic mazes and mage towers to explore/conquer/demolish, and loot inside, there's more variety of what there is to see in the dangerous and vast world of Hexxit.

More armor and tools. Although magic-based, there are objects such as spellbooks to hold spells, and mage armor pieces that repair themselves with mana.

Cons:

More GUI. If it matters, anyway, there will be new bits of GUI on the screen showing pieces of information such as how much mana you have, and what casting style you're using. The mana indicator also shows up on the inventory screen.

The story. Ars Magica has a bit of a story of it's own. That could get in the way of how Hexxit is played, but this may also be seen as a good thing to players who like a bit of story, and it can be ignored by those who don't.

And now, Mo' Creatures.

Pros:

Even more enemies. For those who like to live dangerously, more enemies means more enemies. Hexxit's combat focus will be greatly expanded with a larger variety of kill-ables.

More mounts. Whether players like to ride into battle on horseback, or they prefer to do it on a scorpion, there are many more options for moving quickly around a large world. While I personally prefer the chocobo mounts, other players may want more options. In Hexxit, exploration is indeed encouraged, and this expands the range that stationary player bases can strike, while decreasing the time in-between nearer battles.

More friendlies and tame-able animals. When it comes to getting resources, it comes to be a bit slow when trying to get certain things like leather while there is a limited amount of cows, which must be bred to get more cows. There are other animals in Mo' Creatures that drop leather, such as bulls (which are still technically cows). Plus, you can tame some more animals, such as the mouse-catching cat.

Cons:

Requires the GUI API. That more of a technical problem for the creators, as that means Mo' Creatures is actually two mods. Although I haven't checked, it's entirely possible the GUI API is already part of Hexxit.

Other than that, there are no real cons for Mo' Creatures.

Now, I understand the concepts of incompatible mods, and that could be a possibility between Ars Magica or Mo' Creatures and the rest of Hexxit. However, I can tell you that Mo' Creatures and Ars Magica themselves are fully compatible with each other, as they are also with BiblioCraft and Extra Biomes (just ask Paulsoaresjr).

I also understand the concept of copyright and legal matters. While I doubt Ars Magica is actually copyrighted, it still a good idea for the creators of Hexxit to ask the permission of the creators of Ars Magica and Mo' Creatures if you can add their mods to the greatness that is Hexxit.

I sincerely hope the creators of Hexxit will have these mods added. As for the rest of you reading, if you have anything to say about what I've written, or have any pros or cons you think should be added, or want to show your support or rejection of these suggestions, please do so. I'd love to hear what you all think.

I have already added Mo'Creatures on my server and it works great. There's some conflict with Project Zuli that needs some manual fixing in the config files, but it's easy to fix with an editor.

The best thing about Mo'Creatures isn't just the increased variety in spawns, but the ability to customize and control the spawning of all available entities across all mods. I hated how zombies/skeles/spiders were the generic "night creatures" that spawned in every biome. Mo'Creatures allowed me to fully customize spawning so that every biome had it's own unique set of creatures, monsters, and ambients for both day/night cycles. It allows each biome to feel truly unique in it's environment and challenges.

I think hexxit would greatly benefit from having more content. Mo'Creatues, Ars Magika, and DungeonPack are all great examples. I think Biomes O' Plenty would work out great as well.

I have already added Mo'Creatures on my server and it works great. There's some conflict with Project Zuli that needs some manual fixing in the config files, but it's easy to fix with an editor.

The best thing about Mo'Creatures isn't just the increased variety in spawns, but the ability to customize and control the spawning of all available entities across all mods. I hated how zombies/skeles/spiders were the generic "night creatures" that spawned in every biome. Mo'Creatures allowed me to fully customize spawning so that every biome had it's own unique set of creatures, monsters, and ambients for both day/night cycles. It allows each biome to feel truly unique in it's environment and challenges.

I think hexxit would greatly benefit from having more content. Mo'Creatues, Ars Magika, and DungeonPack are all great examples. I think Biomes O' Plenty would work out great as well.

Yes, I agree. the increased variety makes things feel like they flow, rather than stick to one set of mobs all the time.

Also, Biomes O' Plenty sounds like another great idea that I'd like to see implemented. Although, there is already Extra Biomes, so one can wonder if they are compatible, but two mods with more biomes would certainly expand the concept of exploration if they were.

When it comes to Hexxit, I like how the skeletons can get different armor and weapons based on their "class," but skeletons all the time gets boring. And with the great variety of weaponry already in Hexxit, it's be nice to see something to use it on. More mobs means just that.

I would very much like to add Mo' Creatures to my existing 1.0.4 Hexxit world.

Can you assist with that? IE, what in the config did you have to alter? Additionally, is there any step you have to take to get a pre-existing world to populate with the new creatures, or do they come in without taking any steps?

I would very much like to add Mo' Creatures to my existing 1.0.4 Hexxit world.

Can you assist with that? IE, what in the config did you have to alter? Additionally, is there any step you have to take to get a pre-existing world to populate with the new creatures, or do they come in without taking any steps?

Mo' Creatures has it's own spawning algorithm, like the older days of Minecraft. The creatures will begin spawning into your world after the mod is successfully installed, but if you wish, you may alter their patterns from the GUI API's menu for Mo' Creatures.

Thanks Flamedude. Do you know anything about the conflict with Project Zulu he mentioned, that I might need to address? I just want to avoid another repeat of my situation yesterday where I had Ars Magica enabled for a week or two, made a ton of progress researching ancient magic, then had to remove it due to server crashes and replace it with Thaumcraft :P

Thanks Flamedude. Do you know anything about the conflict with Project Zulu he mentioned, that I might need to address? I just want to avoid another repeat of my situation yesterday where I had Ars Magica enabled for a week or two, made a ton of progress researching ancient magic, then had to remove it due to server crashes and replace it with Thaumcraft :P

Sorry, I don't. In fact, I have no idea what Project Zulu actually is, so I'll have to research that a little. I wouldn't know how to fix it in the config, either. Also, I thought I'd point out that he said the conflict was with Mo' Creatures. Did it also have conflict with Ars Magica?

You have to open hexxit\config\Project Zulu\ProjectZuluMobBiomeConfig.cfg and find the section that lists each mob and all the detailed spawn settings for each biome. It looks something like this:

S:"Spawn Entry: Alpine:588144367"=true:10:1:3

You want to highlight every entry for every mob (it's quite a large selection) and then use the "Replace" function of your text editor to replace every instance of true with false. This gracefully disables the spawn entries for Project Zulu's mobs without messing anything else up, and it allows Mo'Creatues to take full control of the entity spawning for those creatures. If Mo'Creatures ever has problems spawning creatures from another mod, it's usually because that mod already has spawn entries listed for those creatures and Mo'Creatures doesn't like to add conflicting entries. By configuring the mod so spawn entries aren't generated (this is different than disabling the creatures!), Mo'Creatures can safely take over and generate its own spawn entries.

Also, this should only be necessary for creatures that are spawned out in the world (nether/twilight/etc.). Dungeon creatures are spawned differently (using cages), so you shouldn't have to modify anything for Haunted Armor or Minotaurs to spawn in your world, other than giving them spawn settings in the Mo'Creatures mod.

Anyone manage to get Mo' Creatures working with Hexxit v1.05 yet? it seems to work fine with SSP/offine mode for me, but with the same setup on a dedicated server it throws severe errors.

Heres my crash log from the server can anyone help me with this?

Edit; I should also note Im running Ars Magica, Campcraft & Mystcraft with no errors. All these + Mo creatures runs fine on a local server (SSP) but not with the dedicated server.

I want to point out that with Ars Magica added to my Hexxit, it seems to run well, to a point. There are often lag spikes when in terrain newly generated with Ars Magica content when the world was originally generated with pure Hexxit. Also, the mana bar from Ars Magica seems to flash randomly for an unknown reason, although it's not major and can be ignored. To put it simply, nothing game-breaking has come from this mod combination, but some slight changes to the code may be necessary if Ars Magica ever happens to become a permanent part of Hexxit.

The minimap is the cause of your flashing mana bar.

Ars Magica works well for a week or so on my dedicated server, but then it went totally haywire and the server woudl crash constantly throwing errors.

Don't get too deep or attached to it. You may run into the same issue I had.

Thaumcraft, on the other hand, has shown me no problems at all so far.

i have a great suggestion a past version of tale of kingdoms (not the one with the scepter or the last civ. or confusing kingdom making) preferably the last version before the big update. i don't know if its compatible or not

It would have to be in Minecraft Official Release 1.5.2 for it to even be suggested properly.

I agree with Mo Creatures And Ars magica i sugest balkons weapon mod

That's actually another good idea, if it's updated, especially with Hexxit's combat focus.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Mo' Creatures overall, but some features of it can be quite annoying, such as how common the new mobs are. I had to nerf the spawn levels of pretty much everything it added into oblivion just to see some vanilla mobs. With the spawn levels for absolutely everything set to the same level as endermen, I still could get the resources I needed from vanilla mobs, and see the Mo' Creatures mobs as well, without them becoming annoying (let's face it, werewolves should not have the same spawn rate as creepers, skeletons, and spiders, to the point where that and blue slimes is all I'm getting). I agree that Mo' Creatures should be in the pack, but only with tweaking to the spawn rates. Ars Magica is a perfect fit for Hexxit, 'nuff said.

Ars Magica is perfect for Hexxit.

Mo' Creatures however may not be. Hexxit desperately needs some better animals (birds), but it has things like cats and pandas that detract from the mood and game-play. It has some positive qualities (Wyvrens, Ogres, Wraiths) but I dont want all the insects and Bears running around causing me extra trouble. If you want more Hexxit style mobs, I recommend Divine RPG, although it may be to large to add to Hexxit

Ars Magica is perfect for Hexxit.

Mo' Creatures however may not be. Hexxit desperately needs some better animals (birds), but it has things like cats and pandas that detract from the mood and game-play. It has some positive qualities (Wyvrens, Ogres, Wraiths) but I dont want all the insects and Bears running around causing me extra trouble. If you want more Hexxit style mobs, I recommend Divine RPG, although it may be to large to add to Hexxit

Might be a slight one week necro, but I don't get on all that often so I missed this. Don't get me wrong on this, I love Divine RPG, but some of the mobs, especially the nether ones, can be a pain. I don't mind a feeling of danger, but I don't want to spend five minuets spamming left click to take something down, and Divine RPG is particularly bad about this (one of the end game bosses has 5000 health, and your average nether mob has 100-120). There's not really that much strategy to the fights either, they just hit like a truck if you don't keep knocking them back into a corner, and the +80 damage sword renders every other weapon in the game useless. It also nerfs vanilla armors into oblivion, with full diamond only giving 50% mitigations. You can't play like it isn't there, and I believe that a lot of people won't like it because it can turn into such a grindfest (especially getting armor). If someone spends two hours grinding for armor, and a mob that will one shot you on full health if you're not wearing anything kills them, expect hard raging if keep inventory isn't on. It's virtually necessary to have a good time playing Divine RPG (the same goes for Mo' Creatures to a lesser extent, what with werewolves spawning as often as creepers by default).

I would love if they added a another end game boss that deals with hexxit call it like the hex beast or something and u have to defeat the enderdragon to be able to fight the hexxit boss and it would be cool if they added a cutscene at the end of the original credits that shows the dragon egg crack and then it fades out to blackness

Also i don't think that they should any more mods i think its good with the ones it has but i do want them to put in more hexxit stuff like the special armor and the hexical diamond i want special hexxit mobs and stuff like that

I would love if they added a another end game boss that deals with hexxit call it like the hex beast or something and u have to defeat the enderdragon to be able to fight the hexxit boss and it would be cool if they added a cutscene at the end of the original credits that shows the dragon egg crack and then it fades out to blackness

Also i don't think that they should any more mods i think its good with the ones it has but i do want them to put in more hexxit stuff like the special armor and the hexical diamond i want special hexxit mobs and stuff like that

for the cutscene part i want it to happen right when u defeat the enderdragon it shows u finshing off the enderdragon and then u jump back into portal then the egg cracks open

I don't see how the cutscene would add anything to the game, and it'd piss people off if it wasn't skippable. Plus, it'd be hard, if not impossible, to implement in minecraft. I don't know why you'd say no to new mods just because what we have in the pack is good. Mo' Creatures is easy to configure so that it's less invasive (can do it from inside minecraft even), and ars magica can mostly be ignored (except in pvp, but there are certainly ways to beat a wizard without magic). It won't make the pack any worse, and it contributes to the Hexxit feel. Besides, you can remove it or play on an older version. It's easy enough.

I don't see how the cutscene would add anything to the game, and it'd piss people off if it wasn't skippable. Plus, it'd be hard, if not impossible, to implement in minecraft. I don't know why you'd say no to new mods just because what we have in the pack is good. Mo' Creatures is easy to configure so that it's less invasive (can do it from inside minecraft even), and ars magica can mostly be ignored (except in pvp, but there are certainly ways to beat a wizard without magic). It won't make the pack any worse, and it contributes to the Hexxit feel. Besides, you can remove it or play on an older version. It's easy enough.

ur right

Nvm