Crystal Ball Gazing on the future direction of Tekkit.

KiwiUSA

Tekkit, throughout its evolution, has always been a "Technical" type of modpack and has utilized various mods as it's core.

Redpower came and went, IndustrialCraft came and went and now there is a degree of uncertainty about the future of Thermal Expansion and Minefactory Reloaded.

Item transportation, storage and sorting is well covered by Applied Energistics and Logistics Pipes, but there may be a future gap in these core areas:

1) Power generation and distribution.

2) Ore processing.

If the unthinkable happens, what are the communities thoughts on possible mods to fill these gaps?

Ones that I have been musing on include:

The Universal Electricity mods. Mekanism etc.

RotaryCraft

Engineers Toolbox

Electrodynamics

BTW. I love TE and MFR and hope they continue to be the core going forward.

Tekkit, throughout its evolution, has always been a "Technical" type of modpack and has utilized various mods as it's core.

Redpower came and went, IndustrialCraft came and went and now there is a degree of uncertainty about the future of Thermal Expansion and Minefactory Reloaded.

Item transportation, storage and sorting is well covered by Applied Energistics and Logistics Pipes, but there may be a future gap in these core areas:

2) Ore processing.

If the unthinkable happens, what are the communities thoughts on possible mods to fill these gaps?

RotaryCraft

Engineers Toolbox

Electrodynamics

I support this. Ehmm, don't really know what else to say. I support it.

Haven't kept up lately, so I don't know anything about TE updates. But MFR has already once been passed on when the author decided to take a break (then resumed later on). So don't worry too much about that one going the way of redpower or IC2.

UE I like. But it's voltz already so probably not a good idea to overuse it.

Rotarycraft looks nice but looks so big it could be 90% of a pack by itself. Looks better suited to make it's own major pack, like voltz.

Engineers toolbox is one I wholeheartedly agree would be a nice addition to tekkit.

Electrodynamics I have no clue about and the mod description just says heavily under construction.

Electrodynamics (linky) is an epic mod of vaguely similar to IC2 while being more realistic and a heck of a lot cooler. What IC2 should have been, imo, plus lots more. Their modeler also makes stuff for NASA. Definitely Tekkit material once it's stable/out of alpha.

I mean, this is the highest quality mod I've ever seen. Any mod I ever make i want to be as good as this.

Electrodynamics (linky) is an epic mod of vaguely similar to IC2 while being more realistic and a heck of a lot cooler. What IC2 should have been, imo, plus lots more. Their modeler also makes stuff for NASA. Definitely Tekkit material once it's stable/out of alpha.

I mean, this is the highest quality mod I've ever seen. Any mod I ever make i want to be as good as this.

the ED mod looks quite fun. too bad its still extremely alpha like xD

2) Ore processing.

RotaryCraft

Engineers Toolbox

Electrodynamics

More Pistons mod could be helpful to those that like to build machines with red-stone and pistons. ( I'm not the only one, I swear.) Also the gravity piston from that mod allows blocks to be transported without changing them to their item form. Can also transport mobs/players.

I also feel the mod-pack could some kind of large liquid tank to compliment the small buildcraft ones. Something like Xycraft.

Bibliocraft, with its great ability to display items could compliment the trade booth in helping people set up a store or market type build.

Factorization has some elements that would be redundant but at least both the barrel and packager could allow some new ways for people to do things.

Just some thoughts...

I was planning on working on a Solar Generator for my friend's server, new to modding but I know Java so there's part of it, I will put it on the site when it's in working condition for Tekkit to use, but it's just a preliminary thing and I'll figure out other things to do once I get a handle on the general feel of modding.

Maybe I'll make it open source so a community can work on it, do you think that the solar generator should be added at least?

I was planning on working on a Solar Generator for my friend's server, new to modding but I know Java so there's part of it, I will put it on the site when it's in working condition for Tekkit to use, but it's just a preliminary thing and I'll figure out other things to do once I get a handle on the general feel of modding.

Maybe I'll make it open source so a community can work on it, do you think that the solar generator should be added at least?

Open source is always appreciated here, though that doesn't guarantee any level of interest or inclusion in a pack.

Canvox is the wizzard in charge of these things and is the decider as to whether a mod gets added or not. That said, he has expressed interest in returning solar and the author of thermal expansion has stated he's thinking about a worthy solar successor (as in not a place&forget), but I haven't seen anything beyond that. If your mod adds solar in an way that encourages clever building instead of "9 items in a grid, place, get infinite energy" I'm sure it will be taken into consideration.

More Pistons mod could be helpful to those that like to build machines with red-stone and pistons. ( I'm not the only one, I swear.) Also the gravity piston from that mod allows blocks to be transported without changing them to their item form. Can also transport mobs/players. Sure, why not.

I also feel the mod-pack could some kind of large liquid tank to compliment the small buildcraft ones. Something like Xycraft. YES! OpenBlocks is a possibility.

Bibliocraft, with its great ability to display items could compliment the trade booth in helping people set up a store or market type build. Good point, what about shops? Item frames are kinda primitive, and not as cool.

Factorization has some elements that would be redundant but at least both the barrel and packager could allow some new ways for people to do things. Just because most people dont use it doesn't mean nobody does, plus- barrels.

Just some thoughts...

I've been shouting Openblocks in the IRC for quite a while now, guess I'll shout it on the forums aswell.

Openblocks is an amazing mod which adds some sweet utility blocks. It even adds multiblock tanks, which we currently lack in Tekkit. I'd love to have it included, but (for now? :) ) I'll add it manually.

I didn't know OpenBlocks could do the multiple torches thing, I did know Forge Multipart could do that. That will be an awesome addition, probably 1.6, and will also allow for the return on WRCBE!

I saw Wylkers vid on openblocks, the tanks look awesome!

I didn't know OpenBlocks could do the multiple torches thing, I did know Forge Multipart could do that. That will be an awesome addition, probably 1.6, and will also allow for the return on WRCBE!

Oops, it can't, I'm high. Sorry. Don't trust me. I'm horrible.

EDIT: added openblocks to Tekkit. It's beautiful :'D (no ID problems)