MFR Questions

Digdug83

I want to increase the size of my farm and so I plan on making upgrades for my MFR machines. The question I have is how does the planter divvy up the space once the number of spaces no longer is divisible by 9 (ie first or second tier upgrade)?

Also, how many animals would be enough (assuming sheep/cows) to handle say a 5x5 or 7x7 farm fertilizer wise? Should I have a bunch of sewers per pen or just one with an upgrade? Do I need a ton of composters or just a few?

The upgrades are pretty easy to figure out. All MFR machines except the sewer default to a 3x3 grid.

XXX

XXX

XXX

For planters the middle X would be it's place, for harvesters and such it works like this:

H

XXX

XXX

XXX

For the upgrades, just add to the sides for the # of the upgrade. With Diamond upgrades I have a 20x20 area I'm harvesting. Actually, this link has a nice picture...

http://tekkitlite.wikia.com/wiki/Range_Upgrades_%28MFR%29

Tin, Silver, and Diamond are nice for if you plan on having more then one crop in each field. They divide up the area of your field evenly between each slot in the planters grid. Each of the 9 boxes gets a 3x3, 5x5, or 7x7 area for the tin, silver, or diamond upgrade, respectively. So if you want a balanced farm with several crops in 1 planter, I'de suggest starting with the tin upgrade 9x9.

1 sewer will output from 25 cows efficiently with upgrades. That's a lot of sewage. More cows then that and it start backing up. Not from the sewer its self, but from the piping not being able to keep up. As for the composters, I usually just dump down 3 or 4 with each sewage system. One should be able to handle at least 10 cows worth of sewage though.

with 2 pens of 6 cows each, and the baby pens having 12 in each one, I was able to fertalize a 5x5 wheat farm quick enough to outpace the breeders by about 3x what they could use. And the excess seeds became one of the components fueling my bioreactor. Worked fairly well that way. The whole part of "handle" the farm is all relative. it all depends on how fast you want the field to mature.

I think the question being asked is if I have a 7x7 farm with different items in each slot, what will the distribution look like? And I don't really know the answer, but I'd bet it ends up being

for 8, 11, 14 (basically congruent to 2mod3) you get more in outer boxes and less in middle 'cross' spaces:

for 7, 10, 13 (basically congruent to 1mod3) you get less in outer boxes and more in middle 'cross' spaces:

I totally haven't confirmed this, but I can't imagine any other scenario making much sense. Then again, try it and let us know! ;)

As for sewers/composters, I don't have specific numbers, but I've found that large farms (I think I had 9x9 or larger... I'm on a new map and can't recall) just suck down the fertilizer like mad. I had pens with maybe 20+ each of cows/pigs/chickens/sheep and a single 9x9 farm could out-consume the fertilizer production easily. I had a 9x9 sewer in each pen (which included some slaughtering areas), so that makes 4 and had 3 composters working through the sewage at pretty close to peak capacity.

Sorry it's not specifics, but maybe it'll at least give you a feel for things; and you can always tweak your setup later.

Well the 5x5 (larger would be redundant for now lol) is basically each corner gets 4, center gets 1 and the 8 middle ones are split up into groups of 2 for those that may be interested. I have it set up to produce 4 each of netherwart, carrot, potato, cocoa, and wheat with the middle one being used for brown mushroom (using more than one mushroom was causing harvesting issues similar to having multiple trees.

I didn't upgrade my sewers because by the time I realized they took upgrades I already had made about a hundred lol (still getting used to Tekkit vs. Lite). I set them up in banks of 25 with 4 composters attached to each bank. I then built 6 banks and stuffed 25 cows or sheep in each.