1.6.4 modpack error

bmxfelon420

I was wondering, how do i get forge to work in a 1.6.4 pack? I renamed the forge jar from the folder in "versions" in the vanilla launcher to modpack.jar and put it in bin but it doesnt load. Any help would be appreciated.

I have this working properly in the vanilla launcher, but i hate it.

yes, when putting the jar in the bin folder... the versions.json gets corrupted in any way... then the launcher refuses to start the modpack again. (you can delete version.json to make it start again, without the modpack.jar in bin!)

havent found a solution yet, maybe the modpack.jar should be placed anywhere else now?!

seem to be an error caused by the way forge is installed now...

this guide is showing the new way (http://www.6minecraft.net/how-to-install-minecraft-forge-in-minecraft-1-6-1-guide/)

must be adapted to fit technic-launcher workflow

edit: its not working atm, its a critical error as far as i can see, so we have to be patient

I've had the same problem with my 1.6.2 mod pack Aether Worlds. Strangely enough, it works for my other 1.6.4 pack, so something is corrupting the version.json. Something is most likely bugged between the launcher and Forge, it's not downloading all the libraries, says 0% and refuses to start.

Doesn't work for me, unfortunately. It downloads the modpack-1.0.zip (not named that, obviously). It downloads it, decompresses stuff, then the progress bar disappears. The Technic Launcher Console reports that the forge for this installation is 'null'. And I've followed instructions such as "get Forge Universal, rename to modpack.jar', then stuff it into modpack.zipbin" and "get the .json from inside Forge Universal, rename to 'version.json', and stuff it into modpack.zipbin".

It doesn't want to load for reasons, and the console will not tell me what happens immediately after the stuff is decompressed. It just...stops. I have a 1.6.2 installation that people are waiting for, and it won't even boot. But it will gleefully do using the Minecraft Launcher.

Oh, and in spite of my best attempts to instruct it otherwise, it insists on downloading everything to .techniclaunchermodpacks[modpack]. I want it to go to .techniclauncher[modpack] (legacy behaviour). I'm using Launcher Build 290.

I had a working pack that worked dandy with build 289. When the launcher updated to 290, I'm now launching vanilla without any attempt to fire up forge as it downloads a clean vanilla 1.6.2 version.json on startup. Awaiting any head's up on what changes we need to make to packs to make them work again. Like you, Nox13last, I have folks waiting. The packed worked flawlessly last night and now won't even load. Quite a bummer of an update.

Anyone have a clue on a technic launcher changelog? Even the tiniest bit might clarify this mess.

Also, Nox13last, your pack would have likely been well off a day or two ago.... I can't find any info on how to get forge fired up for us in 290.

Also, Nox13last, your pack would have likely been well off a day or two ago.... I can't find any info on how to get forge fired up for us in 290.

I tried yesterday, when the Launcher was 285 (or something). It failed back then, too, but it was midnight and I thought I'd wake up with fresh ideas.

I notice that the news only says "1.6+ compatible", but there are no cromulent explanations on how to make a 1.6 modpack. Even the ones already in the Technic network are "Manual Installation". Plus, one of the commenters submitted a picture of themselves strangling a cat, and I lost interest in the lack of moderation that goes on in Technic's correspondence.

That's shoddy :/

I'm starting to think this is a 1.6.2 issue.

After trying working packs for 1.6.4 (through launcher), my files line up just fine and all appears well.

When you try to launch the pack with the console open, does it give anything at all about downloading version.json? You say it just stops.... I've no clue how to move forward if it is that upset with you. Strangling a cat sounds.... accurate.

This is a closed modpack, so I'm going to have to redact some of the information I show.

It says the following when I select the pack:

InstalledPack{info=PlatformPackInfo{name='[Modpack]', displayName='[Modpack]', url='https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54014114/[Modpack].zip', icon=null, logo=net.technicpack.launchercore.restful.Resource@18879c56, background=net.technicpack.launchercore.restful.Resource@6f28deae, minecraft='1.6.2', forge='null', version='1.0', solder='', forceDir=false}, name='[Modpack]', platform=true, build='recommended', directory='launcher[Modpack]'}

When I download it:

Valid: 

Starting download of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54014114/[Modpack].zip, with 3 tries remaining

And that's it.

If I tell it to Launch after having done this, it starts the process anew. This is the stuff that happens to the progress bar beneath the news feed:

1. __% [modpack]-1.0.zip (Runs until completion, go to step 2)
  2. (Unpacking various assets, such as Millénaire and mATMOS)
  3. (Progress bar vanishes.)

It's not even explaining that something is wrong. It just says "Downloading. Unpacking. Welp, my work here is done... Zzzz.".

That's.... odd? To me anyways. I'm still getting to know the launcher (more intimately than I had hoped), but that kind of behavior is not surprising anymore. I've found the log file to be nearly useless in diagnosing launcher issues thus far...

I do remember having those issues you describe and I am trying to recall how I resolved them. Does the pack arrive intact in the correct locations? PM regarding further attempts sent. :/

Replied.

(This post will be edited in a sec to reflect my responses.)

No. The modpack.jar does not come through as reflected in the Dropbox package. The Dropbox package specifies [modpack]binmodpack.jar. The downloaded package contains the bin folder, but does not put anything into it. I also added the libraries folder, just for a test, and that was not downloaded either.

It also insists on adding a coremods folder and a cache folder, despite them not being necessary (apparently). I don't want to add the assets folder, because that would violate Mojang's TOS (as it is essentially the minecraft.jar).

I'm getting the feeling that its assuming, in spite of specification, that this is a pre-1.6 set-up, when I have clearly specified that it is 1.6.2. It is saddling up to play in 1.5.2, looks for a Minecraft.jar (which does not exist anymore), can't find it, and then gives up.

If it DLs any of the files, you DL should be fine (open to public, etc)... why it doesn't DL your modpack.jar? I... am at a complete loss, really.

I assume coremods/ and cache/ are relics and harmless artifacts. Continuing to fight for progress... I'll let you know if I get it runnin' :/

Thank you. Nice to know, at least for now, that this problem isn't being caused by me being unwitting in the new system.

Just for the sake of test, I'm adding the \assets\ folder to the zip. Obviously, in this form, the pack will be undistributable, but it may provide additional information.

Waiting for Dropbox to finish syncing, so I'll edit this post with the verdict.

Ok, to Hell with the edit. I PM'd you with what happened, but I will write here about what happened for others to refer to.

The \asset\ folder was not included like I had intended it to. Neither was the \libraries\ folder. The \mods\ folder is downloaded, complete with mods.

Just on a whim, I looked at Vanilla, and it is ready for 1.6.4. So, I downloaded it for 1.6.2 (because 1.6.4 doesn't even add anything pertinent, and fewer mods support 1.6.4 than 1.6.2). It downloaded a Minecraft.jar as well as LWGJL files. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these things are absent from a Minecraft Launcher installation.

So what fresh hell is going on?

Dont put any version.json in your modpack.zip. All you need is the jar file. The launcher actually creates the json files itself. The ONLY folders you need are bin, config, mods. The content of the bin should ONLY be the modpack.jar, unless you're running something like pixelmon that has a database folder. Im going to put together my pixelmon pack to test that and verify how 1.6.2 works.

Its working for me on 1.6.2. both launcher builds 285 and 290. I downloaded minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.1.871.jar and opened with WinRAR, I then coped the minecraftforge-universal-1.6.2-9.10.1.871.jar out of there and renamed to modpack.jar. Moved that to bin and it works for me.

Not tested the process with 1.6.4 yet.

The most up to date forge version for 1.6.2 works just fine (generates working json). Version x.789 does not. If you can make that specific version generate, then dandy. I'd love to know how. I'm locked into this version, unfortunately.

Recommended builds seem to be available for use, but not all of the versions... Then again, this belongs on this thread about the 1.6.2 forge x.789 not here about the 1.6.4

The most up to date forge version for 1.6.2 works just fine (generates working json). Version x.789 does not. If you can make that specific version generate, then dandy. I'd love to know how. I'm locked into this version, unfortunately.

Recommended builds seem to be available for use, but not all of the versions... Then again, this belongs on this thread about the 1.6.2 forge x.789 not here about the 1.6.4

If i recall correctly there was a major change internally in forge between 7xx versions and 8xx versions. By and large, forge is backward compatible, but there are some mods that had issues before/after that switch. Is there a way to make your mods work on 871?

Dont put any version.json in your modpack.zip. All you need is the jar file. The launcher actually creates the json files itself. The ONLY folders you need are bin, config, mods. The content of the bin should ONLY be the modpack.jar, unless you're running something like pixelmon that has a database folder. Im going to put together my pixelmon pack to test that and verify how 1.6.2 works.

I disagree, I'm afraid. I figured out kind of towards the beginning of the process that it does not work. I acquired Forge from http://files.minecraftforge.net/minecraftforge/minecraftforge-universal-1.6.2-9.10.1.871.jar (this link was provided by Firefox's download history. And I can certainly see that it says "1.6.2" in it). The only three folders in it are bin (which is provided with only the Forge modpack.jar), a mods folder (containing 68 objects), and config folder (containing more stuff). Yet, when it downloads, the bin is empty, and Technic Launcher's console cannot find the existence of a Forge installation, regardless of whether or not I add it post-download.

When your modpack downloads, does it have all of the bin gubbins in it?

I disagree, I'm afraid. I figured out kind of towards the beginning of the process that it does not work. I acquired Forge from http://files.minecraftforge.net/minecraftforge/minecraftforge-universal-1.6.2-9.10.1.871.jar (this link was provided by Firefox's download history. And I can certainly see that it says "1.6.2" in it). The only three folders in it are bin (which is provided with only the Forge modpack.jar), a mods folder (containing 68 objects), and config folder (containing more stuff). Yet, when it downloads, the bin is empty, and Technic Launcher's console cannot find the existence of a Forge installation, regardless of whether or not I add it post-download.

When your modpack downloads, does it have all of the bin gubbins in it?

Yes, i have natives, minecraft.jar, modpack.jar, version, and version.json