Is this a great computer for MC/Tekkit/LPs etc?

Blorph

It is a HP Envy 700qe, with a i7-4770 3.4GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600MHz, A terabyte of space (I have more drives, so not that important), Blu-ray etc, a 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT640 graphics card (This will determine my final decision), For the OS, It has Windows 8 installed (I'm planning on adding 2 more drives so I can triple boot Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X -hackintosh!).
So how would this computer do for:

• Minecraft and Tekkit and stuff (What else do you think I was using it for?)
  • Recording videos (Yes, I actually want to add to the mass of videos already done)
  • Doing some stuff with blender
  • Programming Mods? Programming apps for iOS (On the mac drive)

Will it do all these things to the (near) maximum? It comes with a monitor and I can get a microphone easily, Mac OS X Mavericks is free and I can put it on to a flash drive to install it, Most of the software that I want is free. My current computer (a 2011 macbook air, 4gb ram) has gotten old and is now only suitable for typing and surfing the internet (Just vanilla minecraft will make the fan run enough to make it lift off the ground).

Can you all help me? Thanks.

EDIT: I've come up with a (somewhat) better build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2xY7h

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($109.99 @ Microcenter) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Microcenter) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1030.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-19 15:39 EST-0500)
(This is the current price, Please suggest things to add/remove)
Edited by Blorph

I'm planning on adding 2 more drives so I can triple boot Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X -hackintosh!)

You mean partitions, right? You couldn't possibly have.... 3 drives in that thing... heh.

...right?

Other than that, you're totally set. It will do all those things easily. You'd probably be harder pressed to find things that laptop cannot do.

And I am very jealous.

I was able to to bargain at a estate sale for the drives, Two 1TB hard drives for $35!! And they seem to be in great condition, And yes, three drives for each OS, So I won't even have to really partition at all! This is the link to the computer. IT IS AN AMAZING DEAL (For those in the months ahead, this is probably not a very good deal), I can't wait to see your posts!

So guys, will this do everything I want it to?

1 HDD per OS is better than 1/3 HDD per OS, I guess.

Not necessarily, unless you feel crunched for space. It's not like you're running them all at once. Personally, I'd set up whatever your primary OS is on it's own disk, (The one you'll be storing everything on), put the other 2 OSes in their own partitions on the second disk, and run a RAID1 disk of the first disk on the third.

Mostly because the average TTF, (time to failure), is unknown for the 2 disks you got for cheap. Unless they were new in-package, of course.

Hmm, The only reason(s) I want to use 3 hard drives is just because I can :), Windows (Only because some apps can only run on it), Mac OS X (Because I want to make iOS apps, and Macs are best for doing media stuff), And Linux because it's really fast (Plus I can take the .dlls from the Windows drive and run WINE on the Linux drive without much hassle.), The drives are in pretty good condition, One guy I know says he wants to see what data has been deleted for non-malicious purposes, So I guess I need to see how to do RAID then earn enough money to get this thing! Thanks.

Hmm, The only reason(s) I want to use 3 hard drives is just because I can :), Windows (Only because some apps can only run on it), Mac OS X (Because I want to make iOS apps, and Macs are best for doing media stuff), And Linux because it's really fast (Plus I can take the .dlls from the Windows drive and run WINE on the Linux drive without much hassle.), The drives are in pretty good condition, One guy I know says he wants to see what data has been deleted for non-malicious purposes, So I guess I need to see how to do RAID then earn enough money to get this thing! Thanks.

Yeah. RAID is a really really really good idea for whichever drive you decide to use to store most of your stuff. Of course, I see no reason, (other than a possible lack of drive slots), why you couldn't get another disk and have RAID drives for 2 of the disks, or just have 2 RAID drives for a disk partitioned to have all three OSes on it (given your system supports that kind of RAID-partitioning shenanigans), or a RAID disk for 2 disks and have 1 OS on one and 2 on the other... etc. Lot of options here, but you should use RAID for anything you really don't want to lose and need quick constant access to.

Ok, thanks! Any other suggestions besides ones regarding RAID?

For initially loading up your windows install, portableapps is a great thing to have. I just run it all from a folder on my desktop. Auto-updating, good free stuff, super easy to manage too. Ninite is also great for initial setup. (But you probably already knew about both of those.)

Other than that, nothing really comes to mind for setting up a new machine. Have fun with that beauty of a box!

Gt640?

*snorts loudly*

Don't buy HP. They are known for overpricing and shoddy build quality.

I don't recommend this specifically, too.

You will be paying over 1000$ for a computer that my 600$ build can trump in graphics processing and is not very far behind in CPU. If you are willing to spend this kind of money for a gaming PC, DON'T BUY BIG BRAND NAMES. There are very few big brand names that you actually get your money's worth. Custom is the way to go, ibuypower and Cyberpowerpc are both good for this. Even though you are new, I still would recommend you look into building it yourself. You will get significantly better hardware and performance for your money, and will have a non shite case and motherboard to boot. You also would then be able to better understand the workings of your comp and fix hardware problems easier. Not to mention the lack of all the nonsense bloat that comes with prebuilts.

Edit: here is a huge chart with a bunch of graphics cards on it: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+640

The shorter the bar the worse the performance.

The GT 640 is boxed in red.

The processor actually is pretty good, no complaints about that.

Don't buy HP. They are known for overpricing and shoddy build quality.

Seconded. Fuck HP and their evasive terms of BS and support system! (A motherboard fault on a 800€ gaming laptop caused it to die, and HP bullshat us with "terms" and "fixes" until we gave up)