Your thoughts on the theme and overall functionality of the pack

Hey.

I'm considering hosting a Tekkit server for myself and a few friends. It seems like the logical choice after getting into redstone in a big way last time I hosted a game. I wanted to ask, what do you think of the pack? Do the included mods have a consistent theme and do their functions seem to complement each other well? Are there any particular bugs I should keep an eye out for? Anything you feel is important to mention is appreciated.

Cheers.

As well as mods made by a bunch of people who never talk to each other can compliment each other can. Bugs to watch out for is using crafting table 2 with EE. There's a dupe bug so you might want to disable one or the other. Depends on if you trust your players with EE.

If you're a big red stone guy, learn the red power gates, they often make it much easier to program basic and advanced circuits. I would kill crafting table two because I've still had dupe bugs with EE disabled, I don't remember the exact circumstances.

Personally, I like EE because I don't want to spend most of my time mining after a week on the map and depending on how many friends you're playing with, that tech curve will stretch if you guys are occupying the same area therefor it'll take longer before it gets to the point of being "OP."

That's if you guys want to spend more time building than mining, if you really want to struggle, disable forestry, EE, and the mining laser (also, maybe quantum armor. It's hard to get but will make you invincible once you have it).

I would just peruse the wikis of the main mods and learn more about them if you haven't played Tekkit before. IC2, RP, BC (I rarely use BC anymore because I'm moving to tubes), rail craft, EE (if you leave it on). I think those are the main ones that are good to know before going nuts teching.

Have fun and happy mining.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info guys.

Sod: What do you mean by, plugins that record block placement? I'm currently trying to see what else I can throw in the mix but I have a feeling compatibility will limit me to the standard Tekkit package. Is the BlockPlaceEvent issue relevant to plain Tekkit? If so, I found a thread (http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,4645.0.html) supposedly fixing the problem - is it still useful a month later?

Yuriy: I noticed on quick inspection there are one-block logic gates which was great to see. I'm sure there's plenty more I'll like. Yeah, I like a struggle, haha. Could you elaborate, why disable forestry, the mining laser and quantum armour? (EE's already out of the picture). Forestry seemed rather intriguing actually.

I'll certainly be going through the mod wikis to get a handle on things. Do you have any tips on getting my head around how everything works together?

PS- Do you have any idea how compatible 'Better than Buildcraft' is? It'd be great to integrate some Better Than Wolves.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info guys.

Sod: What do you mean by, plugins that record block placement? I'm currently trying to see what else I can throw in the mix but I have a feeling compatibility will limit me to the standard Tekkit package. Is the BlockPlaceEvent issue relevant to plain Tekkit? If so, I found a thread (http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,4645.0.html) supposedly fixing the problem - is it still useful a month later?

Yuriy: I noticed on quick inspection there are one-block logic gates which was great to see. I'm sure there's plenty more I'll like. Yeah, I like a struggle, haha. Could you elaborate, why disable forestry, the mining laser and quantum armour? (EE's already out of the picture). Forestry seemed rather intriguing actually.

I'll certainly be going through the mod wikis to get a handle on things. Do you have any tips on getting my head around how everything works together?

PS- Do you have any idea how compatible 'Better than Buildcraft' is? It'd be great to integrate some Better Than Wolves.

I hope that last part was a joke...because it'll never happen unless you recode everything from the ground up. Personally, I would avoid anything by flowerchild. If you'd like to use that stuff, however, you're going to have to modify vanilla minecraft yourself because the likelihood of you getting it to work with the pack is nil at best.

Forestry: Allows for partially or eventually fully automated farming of trees, cacti, melons, rubber trees (the IC2 ones), and wheat (I don't remember if it covers sugar). If you like to struggle then having a fully automated food supply would certainly make your life a lot easier. I also don't like it much after the author's fallout with the technic pack but I'm not about to go into all the details of that again. If you like it, use it and install it manually after it's taken out of tekkit next update.

The mining laser is something I never really liked much along the lines of one of the EE power items that lets you dig out massive holes and tunnels in seconds so you could just drop to diamond level and strip mine the planet if you have the power. I like EE's tech route that eventually gives me the option of creative mode after enough work much because I don't like tearing up my whole planet for resources, I simply like terraforming it into what I want it to be like.

Quantum Armor will basically make you entirely invincible unless the suit runs out of power...it stores a ton of power. I've gone out for a smoke while sinking (and 'drowning') in a RP volcano tube. so 5m under liquid in lava and I barely used any power at all. I do like it's ability to run super fast and jump high but if you want to struggle, turning on god mode is certainly not the way to do it.

If you want to figure out how things work together (I assume you mean mods within the pack), direwolf20 has some great lets plays but usually it helps to just create a test world and spawn tech or learn one mod at a time and experiment. I learned my current use of mods in roughly this order: IC2, BC, EE2, Forestry, RP2, and Thaumcraft. Once I learned one, I knew I could use pipes and tubes and other tools to accomplish certain objectives and it really helped me out. In fact, only after playing a special skyblock map I found and modified slightly (SMP), I was finally able to figure out some of the intricacies of how certain mods work together to achieve my ends on a blank canvas (which is something I'd recommend trying once you figure the mods out).

I think the whole block place thing is for server protection plugins (anti-griefing and whatnot) but I'm not sure.