Weird modpack bug

SXScarecrow

Hi guys,

I recently updated my modpack to 1.6.4, and I have encountered the weirdest bug I have ever seen. It involves the ID's for Tinker's Construct, and I have dubbed it the 'Phantom ID' bug.

Here are the config files, containing the ID's, for client and server respectively:

Client

Server

Would you not agree that they match exactly? However, on connection to a server that is running the same version of the modpack as the client is, some players get this error:

80936fc4-7aee-11e3-867e-694c28d6358c.png

(You can see other player's issues about it on my GitHub issue tracker here)

However, the majority of players that try to connect do NOT get the error (myself included) and can connect to the server just fine. I understand exactly what this is telling me, but I do not know why or how this is happening. The configs are exactly the same server and client side, most of us CAN connect but a few people can't because of this bug. I can't recreate it myself which makes it doubly hard to pin down the source of the problem. It's almost like the ID's modify themselves, which is not possible. Can anyone explain this or why it might be happening?

That's Forge's messed up auto ID system for ya, I ran into this problem before, pain in the ass to fix. Had to rebuild my modpack, because different java versions handle the IDs differently, it's a mess. It seems like some of your item ids are conflicting and Forge is handling sorting them in different ways depending on what version of Java people are using, check to make sure you don't have any ID conflicts. It's weird.

This is the readout from the server machine:

Operating System: Linux (amd64) version 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64

Java Version: 1.7.0_45, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation

This is fairly strange, since I did build the modpack in 7u45, and also while I (on a Windows 64 bit, running 7u45) can connect to the server fine, this guy running:

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.3) (ArchLinux build 7.u45_2.4.3-1-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

cannot in fact connect to the server. More weird shizzwoz from Forge I guess.