Error unzipping custom modpack

DaimondGuy_90000

Hey i have created a custom modpack hosted on dropbox and whenever I try to install my modpack it comes up with this error

Error unzipping a file for the following modpack: (Name of my modpack)

error in opening a zip file

If anyone can help please do and if i have posted this in the wrong section or this problem has already been solved please point me in the right direction instead of hating on me thanx.

1) Don't use dropbox, if your public links generate too much traffic they will be shutdown

2) Post an error log, a direct link to your pack and a link to the platform address of your pack. With these we can get some idea why it's failing

EDIT: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Edited by Maxis010

Ok first of all if I'm not using dropbox for hosting what other free software should I use?

2. Im not sure where to find my error logs If you could tell me that'd be great.

Here is a direct link to my pack "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/268219326/MineFantasyBased_plain.zip"

And here is the platform URL to my pack http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/minefantasy-based-152

Thanx for the help :)

• Discord Moderator

Ok first of all if I'm not using dropbox for hosting what other free software should I use?

2. Im not sure where to find my error logs If you could tell me that'd be great.

Here is a direct link to my pack "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/268219326/MineFantasyBased_plain.zip"

And here is the platform URL to my pack http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/minefantasy-based-152

Thanx for the help :)

• Your modpack.jar has a few problems
  1. You make a RAR archive instead of a ZIP archive. Forge/MC requires that it be in the ZIP format.
  2. Your archive is not constructed correctly. You have the files nested inside another folder. They should all be in the top level of the zip. To do this, go INTO your folder with all the files, select all and right-click then choose ZIP (assuming you have a program installed which will create archives in the ZIP format).
  • You have unzipped the mod file in the mods folder. Don't do this. Just download the mod from the author's forum post and put that file into your mods folder. Remove the uncompressed version first.

Ok I have fixed all things listed and still... no luck.

You might like to know that when i downloaded the mod for my pack it came as a .jar file

I tried to run the jar but it said it was corrupt, so i changed it to a zip and put it in the mods folder but no it is not working.

EDIT: when you say i have made a RAR archive instead of a zip are you talking about the Modpack zip itself or the modpack.jar

If you are talking about the jar please tell me how to fix this

Edited by DaimondGuy_90000

• Discord Moderator

I'm talking about the modpack.jar file. For use in the platform, just go to the source. You never want to get core libraries like that from anywhere but their original creators. Go to http://files.minecraftforge.net/ and download the "Universal" jar for your preferred version of Forge/MC. Rename that file to "modpack.jar" and you are done.

Thanx for the help guys my modpack now loads but it opens vanilla????

Make sure the modpack.jar is named correctly and in a jar format, not zip or rar. Also of course it has to be the recxomemd es forge universal jar for your Minecraft version renamed to modpack.jar. Did you compress all the files or put them in another folder and compress that? Make sure you select all the files and if you're using 7 zip to archive (don't use win rar) right clock and click add to archive, then make sure the archive is named modpack.zip.

• Discord Moderator

Hi everyone I haven't had a reply for a while and I would really like to get my modpack to work. If anyone knows anything about this issue please respond.

Have you updated the previously posted link to be the most recent version of your pack?

• Discord Moderator

Your pack zip is now a ZIP format archive, but you still have some problems:

• Your modpack.jar file is named "Modpack.jar". Case matters and should be all lower case.
  • Your modpack.jar file a RAR archive instead of a ZIP archive. Stop using RAR format. Use ZIP format for EVERYTHING related to Minecraft. You can use the free program 7zip to work with ZIP format files.
  • You are not using the latest verions of Forge for 1.5.2
  • You are not including any config files in your pack ZIP. Even if you just have one mod, you might still want to customize something. Always, always include the contents of the config folder.

• Discord Moderator

While there is some coordination concerning IDs used by mods, it is safe to assume that each mod acts like it is the only mod in your pack. Each mod (usually) has a default config that is generated when it gets loaded the first time. It is up to you, the mod user or pack builder, to ensure that there are no conflicts between mods. Block ID conflicts will usually either crash out the client or cause a halt and generate an ID conflict file. Both scenarios require you to check log and conflict files to resolve the problem. The same applies to Biome ID conflicts (not sure about enchantments, but those are less common). Item ID conflicts usually just write over each other. The client will start and you can play, but trying to use the conflicting items yields unpredictable results. For example, if you try to smelt ore dusts and get hamster food, you have an item ID conflict. You will need to search your most recent ForgeModLoader log file for "CONFLICT" to help resolve these.

This is why it is vitally important to always include all the config files for your mods/packs. Some mods will auto-assign item IDs. If you don't include a working config file you never know if your pack will work for other users. Add to that the need to tune configs to make the mods of your pack play well together (ore generation, treecapitation, microblocks, energy production/use, etc.) And one can easily see how important it is to include config files.

Edited by plowmanplow