Working out ProjectRed Transportation Pipes

AcesOyster

There's been a lot of chat around the workings of ProjectRed pipes, but scattered all over the place (not just on these forums, but also on reddit and youtube). It made sense to try and unify our collective knowledge, so I reckon this thread is a good idea. I still don't understand every aspect of it, but I made this video to showcase the bits I do get.

I still need to work out what responder and dynamic responder chips achieve, but other than that, I have a pretty thorough understanding.

I would quite like to try and collate enough info to write an entry to write something for the wiki on the topic, so any help on things I miss in the video would be great. I know this probably comes across as a thinly veiled attempt at advertising a video, but I do really want to make this mod accessible, given that it is just so powerful.

Found a really nasty bug with something I am doing in my world. It seems that there is just one spot where, if I place an extension pipe, any requests the system makes crash the game...

Edit: Managed to reduce the problem, but any request that uses that extension pipe crashes. very weird.

Edited by AcesOyster

Just started writing some of the grittier bits onto there. Was originally going to try and put it on the technic wiki, but I don't get how to make edits on there.

Also, where did you find Crafting Chips? is this future content?

Edited by AcesOyster

Just started writing some of the grittier bits onto there. Was originally going to try and put it on the technic wiki, but I don't get how to make edits on there.

Also, where did you find Crafting Chips? is this future content?

It's the latest version 4.2.2 but I built my .jar files from the source code so I have the latest developments.

And thanks for contributing to the wiki, now I don't need to write so much!

That's really cool. How's stability with it? Would be nice to see if it fixes the bugs I've been having in my survival world.

Looking into responders more, terminators are an extension  of the responder class. There seem to have a special value for a function called SendPriority, which I assume means they always come after responder chips in the priority chain. However, all I can trace back from that function is something which decides the speeds of items for various priorities.

I think that, from looking at the code, dynamic responders I realised only allow items already in the connected inventory. I tested this in creative and it works. Means you can avoid setting filters on loads of chips, and just fill the chests with the items would want to go to them.

God bless Github

Edited by AcesOyster

That's really cool. How's stability with it? Would be nice to see if it fixes the bugs I've been having in my survival world

You can see the changelog here: https://github.com/MrTJP/ProjectRed/blob/master/resources/Changelog

I can't build the latest builds because I can't get scala working but seems quite stable, I get a crash with ComputerCraft though.