Lag, but don't know why?

So, my favorite server started a tekkit thing, so I installed everything and went to SSP firs and noticed an immense ammount of lag. Usually, I can play with the highest settings on Vanilla with about 90fps. I don't know what is wrong but I get a lot of lag. I don't think that it is an issue with hardware as I have an i7 at 2.4ghz, an Nvidia 525M and 8gb ram. I also have allocated 4gb of ram to Tekkit. Any suggestions would be great. Yes, I have updated Java.

There's probably a thousand things it could be, but I had the same issue when I first was playing. I noticed it was whenever I was somewhat close to IC2 machines that were running, but not right beside them.

I nailed the problem down to the IC2 sounds being attenuated as you move away. Turning off IC2 sounds fixed the issue. Eventually I updated from Java 6 to Java 7, and then the problem went away completely.

My guess is that your lag is something different, but I thought I'd share my story, just in case.

First off, just turn sounds off, really, totally off. MATMOS seems to be making clients lag at random and is NR1 source of clientsided lag. After that, its all in regards of settings. As stated above, its Java, and well, even if you play Skyrim at top settings etc, Minecraft can still make you lag, even if its "simpler".

Sponge and Chezzik, you nailed my problem on the head! It was an issue with MATMOS and, is there any way to turn it off and still be able to hear ingame sound without the dumb ambient noise?

You can turn Matmos off with F7 in-game. If that works, great.

For me, Matmos made horrible sounds, but it wasn't the source of the lag. I had to turn of IC2 sounds to stop it.