Highest efficiency passive cooled "Big Reactor"?

jakalth

I included a good starting setup in my >newbie guide, but intentionally made it so small that it will fall short eventually.

That's what I like about BigReactors. It's a very fine example of a mod that scales with your progress. Some may scoff at it for being more simple and user-friendly than old IC2 nuclear parts or Atomic Science, but it does become a challenge to really get a good setup and balance out your Turbines later on.

You need not worry about the development of the mod. ErogenousBeef seems commited to further refine it, and he has done a very fine job already.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My reactor was with enderium and graphite. It is a 7x7x7

CCCCCCC

CEEEEEEC

CEFGFEC

CEGFGEC

CEFGFEC

CEEEEEC

CCCCCCC

C = casing

F =fuel rod

E = enderium

G =graphite

It generates 11,600.2 rf/t and 0.16mb/t

Efficiency rate is 725.0125

I used the big reactor simulator at br.sidoh.org ,there it says i get

70,777.27 RF/mB of yellorium, which is about 70,777,270 rf/ingot,that is at 0% rod insertion.

At the best insertion, 60% ,i get 89,180.32 RF/mB

And 6,009.15 RF/t

0.07 mB/t

Which is 858.45 in your efficiency equation thingy.

What a cool site! I didn't know about it, so all my tests were in-game. Toying around with the simulator, I couldn't build a max-dimension reactor because the program wouldn't allow horizontals above 30. Max-dim is 32 for Tekkit, which is what I use. This reactor is 25x25x42 instead, so its max output will be understandably lower.

ReactorTest_zps252180eb.png

Replacing the graphite with more Redstone does increase its power output, but also increases temp and fuel consumption. This is the most efficient setup I've come up with. I did try Resonant Ender in one of my in-game tests, but that resulted in a much higher temperature and fuel cost. Thermally, Redstone is still the best for this design.

Edited by BlessedWrath

Replacing the 4 blocks of redstone with gelid cryothium will allow the reactor to run even cooler.  But for the biggest bang for your buck, going with 3 blocks of gelid and having a single block of resonant ender against the casing, for each line of coolant, gives you a slightly higher output.  A single block of redstone might have the same effect.

Gelid alone does not really improve the output of the design you gave BlessedWrath.  At least not by much.  just runs a little cooler for about the same power.

Edited by jakalth

I suspect that this site is running code from the newer version of Big Reactors. My in-game tests suggest that Destabilized Redstone really is the best, thermally, for the current Tekkit build. When/if it updates to the current version of Big Reactors, that will change. For how difficult it is to produce and use, I simply do not use Gelid Cryotheum. For me, it's just not worth the effort yet.

Now...when that update gets here...

I doubt that. Even in BR 0.34, Gelid Cryotheum was the best coolant, closely followed by Resonant Ender, with Destabilized Redstone some way behind. Of course there will be scenarios especially in smaller setups where Cryo is overkill and cannot really improve things.

Best coolant means best heat transfer, i.e. smallest gap between core and casing heat, which will result in higher efficiency, which in turn will yield more power for the same amount of fuel.

Btw, I doubt that Tekkit will get updated at all. It will rather be frozen in carbonite (or preserving material of your choice), much like Tekkit Classic was. The new modpack will be entirely different, worlds will not be transferable (at least not without major effort) and everybody will have to start over. Coincidentally, BigReactors is one of the few mods that look quite similar on 1.7.10. This is why I doubt that the simulation will be much different for either version.

Edited by Curunir

I normally have at least some additional energy storage as well, but you can't really send it effectively (10k max RF/t per source). With high-energy machines like the Laser Drill, it really seems like they needed to update the energy conduits. You could use the Energy Transfer Node with upgrades, I suppose.

My emergency power system normally consists of a Redstone or Resonant energy cell connected to each of my most important machines. If the reactor ever fails, I have a supply of energy that lets me continue operating until I can get the reactor back up and running again. This is especially important if you're running an ME system; you wouldn't want to lose access to all your materials, would you?

On the subject of efficiency, I managed to score about 400k on a small Active reactor with a single turbine. The major difference seems to be that, for sheer output, you go with passive, and for fuel efficiency, you go active.  I'm really not sure which I like better.