Not same config client/server and client mod

Roversword

Hi everyone

I am tinkering with my "own" (private) modpack. Well, I am at least trying

I stand at the beginning to understand the whole thing, so I am using Tekkit and AotBt as references to figure out what things might do or not.

I have now a working client and server (have not made extensive testing, but at least it starts ;)).

However, I have two questions which I hope someone might assist me with:

1. If a config file from a mod on the client and on the server is different (eg. block IDs or the client says buildcraft quarry yay and the server says nay) which one is being used at the end (I guess server) and may this cause issues (or is it just overwritten by one of then, again...I guess server).
  2. I used the same mods from the client on the server. However, I am aware there are mods which are client only (such as WAILA). However, how do I find out at the end which ones I really need on the server as well if there is no explicit info from the homepage I downloaded them?
  3. Is there a way to integrate a texturepack in the client download? Or is this something that really only can be implemented after installing the modpack and starting it?
    I would not mind if it is not loaded directly. It would be great if it was possible to add it to the client download directly (if that makes sense).

Thanks a lot

1. Configs are not downloaded from the server, best practice (aka always do this) is to have them both be the same

2. Essentially if it adds game content or mechanics you need it on the server

3. Just package the resource pack like you would any other file to be distributed, although it is not recommended as it bloats your file size

1. Configs are not downloaded from the server, best practice (aka always do this) is to have them both be the same

2. Essentially if it adds game content or mechanics you need it on the server

3. Just package the resource pack like you would any other file to be distributed, although it is not recommended as it bloats your file size

Thank you for your replies:

1. Okay, I will keep that in mind. I did not plan on purposely have different conf files. I was just wondering what could happen (I did not test it yet)

On the other hand, how do you handle people who do that on purpose. I can alter my tekkit or tekkit lite or AotBt client confs anytime. I guess I have to test that...I think it should result in some sort of error message.

2. Well, that is what I thought, too. Then again, what is "game content". NEI can be considered game content as well (of some sort). However, I do get your point.

On the other hand, when peeking over to the Tekkit Server zip, NEI is also in there. And that, I think, is a client mod, isn't it?

3. Yes, you are right. Makes the thing rather big. I guess it is better just to have it somewhere else downloadable.

• Discord Moderator

When it comes to synchronization of config files as long as the client and server have the same IDs for everything the client should be able to connect. If the config options are different the server will take precedence. However, if it is something to do with how energy is used or recipes work and there are differences between client and server the client may see the incorrect data (like how much energy it takes in to make something with IC2 machines, etc.)

Thank you plowmanplow

I was hoping something along those lines happen. In this case the worst can happen is a client not being able to craft something (because the server wants the client to use other ingredients than the client sees/wants) or seeing false numbers in terms of tanks, energy cells, RF production, etc.