Tinkers Construct Smeltery Issue

So I have been playing for a while and I notice that every once in a while, the liquids in the Smeltery don't show up, therefore I can't bring some to the bottom. They are still there, when I look in the Smeltery I still see the metals and when I look at the controller WAILA still says there is some in there but I can't see it in the GUI so i can't bring certain ones to the bottom. It seems to fix itself after a while but is there a way to fix it manually and/or prevent it?

This can happen if you leave stuff in the smeltery - avoid doing that and it shouldn't ever happen.

If it happens, empty the smeltery, break the controller, then replace the controller - this should reset everything and it should work well after that.

The other trigger is if you have the smeltery crossing a chunk border - make sure the brick/tank/drain/controller part are inside one chunk (faucets and casting stuff is fine to have outside the chunk).  That only causes an issue if you get server lag - but having it split like that can cause server lag so it's fairly likely.

This issue can also happen when the smeltery controller loads, it may load incorrectly (packet loss) or have stored its information incorrectly when the chunk was saved that could cause this. This particular method of issue is less likely but keep in mind that even if you make sure it is only on a single chunk, this issue may still arise rarely.

That's a good point - that's actually what's happening when you leave liquid in it, it's much more likely to have a problem if it has to check levels while loading (and even worse for each extra chunk it checks) but it's not impossible for it to happen while empty if a lag spike (server lag) hits at the exact wrong moment.